This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: Electricity Usage

bluefrank replying to Erika
15:55, Monday 20 March 2017
Ask Karim Frei and Jerome Sinclair to come round and handwash some stuff in your bath. They've got bugger all else to do.
“With my position and with my name, I could have waited and maybe got a bigger job." - Gianfranco Zola, 21st December 2016.
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to A_n_E
15:55, Monday 20 March 2017
A_n_E
buy a battery powered dildo

Fek me, this forum...
Tweet Topic

Tall replying to StechyBlue
16:00, Monday 20 March 2017
I think it's a very good suggestion.

That old mains operated one that Erika has, draws so much current when in use, it causes the streetlights to dim
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. Just as long as you've got chickens.
Tweet Topic

Mr Miyagi and the X-Men replying to Erika
16:24, Monday 20 March 2017
....friends of our lived in a new build in a cul-de-sac, turns out they were powering all the lighting in the street (no street lights in their road but lots of bollard type lights on the roadside)..

Check you haven't got a security/outside light that comes on in the daylight, any shed/out building with power?
Tweet Topic

Bluewurst replying to Erika
19:10, Monday 20 March 2017
Who were the suppliers that were charging silly cheap numbers that were mentioned on here?

Just had the "forecast" from British gas...
@Bluewurst1875
Tweet Topic

macca salop blue replying to Bluewurst
19:24, Monday 20 March 2017
You see I reckon our usage has gone up but somehow I've ended up in credit, I'll explain.

We were with Atlantic Gas paying about £110 a month for Electric & Gas .3 years ago
Then I switched to First Utility paying £93 a month. 2 years ago.
Last June I changed to Sainsbury , I'm paying £66.50 combined, I thought it was too good to be true at the time, but get this...last month I was told I was £22.50 in credit so they happily credited my account!
My Mrs has everything on like the clappers, iron, washing machine, hairdryer, kettle, lights etc, I admit I end up following her round the house switching it all off.
In the summer she had one of those Easy Spas, and even taking that into account (although it's not on now) we're still paying £66.50 a month.
I just shop around periodically using Uswitch, Which, Martyn Lewis site, etc. By the way got 4 bed detached, Mrs + 14yr old son with multi gaming devices.
Tweet Topic

Ribeye replying to StechyBlue
19:26, Monday 20 March 2017
StechyBlue
A_n_E
buy a battery powered dildo

Fek me, this forum...

You want fecking with a battery powered dildo?
Tweet Topic

Tam replying to Erika
19:44, Monday 20 March 2017
The age/insulation efficiency of the house might be a factor - I haven't read all the posts so, not sure if it's been mentioned. I don't know if it's of any comfort, but ours is a similar sort of size, but is a 1927 build. Combined electricity/gas price over six months is about £1200, of which electricity is about £700. Given that the house is always occupied and getting through electricity and gas a rate of knots (watts), yours doesn't sound too far out. We could make massive savings by being sensible, but it's a regime that you've got to take seriously, I guess.
I don't want to sit near Miguel.
Tweet Topic

Miguel replying to Erika
20:20, Monday 20 March 2017
Erika
Unfortunately its not a combi boiler and as its a rented house we cant change that. We have the timer set on the immersion for 60 mins in the morning and 90 mins at night so not too much I don't think!

I've got a handy little money saving tip; don't rent a 4 bed detached when there's only 2 of you living in the property.

Seriously though, has the landlord provided an EPC? I'm pretty sure he's duty bound to do so.

[www.rla.org.uk]
Tweet Topic

generalBlue replying to RobertoBaggiosPerm
20:33, Monday 20 March 2017
RobertoBaggiosPerm
generalBlue
Erika I forgot to mention, if you tend to occasionally sit on the washing machine during the violent fast spin programme or straddle your tumble drier on the slow but delightfully persistent warm churn programme it'll save you a few quid over time if you actually put some clothing in those machines whilst enjoying the other benefits thumbs upthumbs up

You seem very knowledgeable on these matters !

Martin's Money Tips is aq mine of information thumbs up
" 'Arry TICKS all the boxes "

Saw what you did there !!
Tweet Topic

Mad Blue replying to Miguel
20:42, Monday 20 March 2017
Miguel

I've got a handy little money saving tip; don't rent a 4 bed detached when there's only 2 of you living in the property.

It's hard to argue with the above statement.
The truth is like Poetry but no one likes Poetry.
Tweet Topic

Tam replying to Rags
20:46, Monday 20 March 2017
Rags

Rags

....but its you that picked up on it Erika;)

We had an monitor before we were upgraded to a smart by our supplier. I think it costs around £30-40 from Amazon.

My monitor is an Owl too ... well worth the cost, although you can become obsessed with saving mere pennies once you have one (which makes you guilty about all the £hundreds you were wasting before)

Cheers, just looked and they look pretty good. Will try turning all the electric off first and see whether the meter moves before calling the supplier.

I once changed all the lights to motion detector ones so i never had to bother turning any off, they just turned themselves off after a room was empty for 15 seconds .... well that was the theory.

Soddin' dog soon caught on and made it her new hobby to race from room to room getting them to all turn on

:D One of the many reasons to love dogs!
I don't want to sit near Miguel.
Tweet Topic

Inspector Montalbano replying to Erika
21:58, Monday 20 March 2017
Ofgem recommend taking a reading af the same time of day for two weeks, with this data they an usually tell if there is a problem with the meter.
Tweet Topic

stinger replying to Erika
03:56, Tuesday 21 March 2017
The two of us are retired and are at home most of the time, we have same electric appliances as you ( mostly Bosch A or A++) energy rated and a poweful radon fan running 24x7 and we pay £280 a year electricity. Oil fired central heating and woodburners. House is large 3 bedroom detached. Freezers and fridges are the highest energy users because in most homes they are on 24x7. Have you got big Smegs or large unfilled units?
One last thought - Do you haveva smart meter? These have issues regarding wrongly reported kWh usage.
Tweet Topic

Holier than thou replying to Thongs
05:54, Tuesday 21 March 2017
My wife and 2 kids leave the lights on in every room all day everyday. They sleep with lights on (The kids) We have 3 ceiling fans on all night on high in the bedrooms. Do 10-12 washes a week. Tumble dry 4 times a week. 2 x big TVs, charge up to 5 phones, ipads etc a day. Boil the kettle 5 times to make 1 cup of coffee on a reg basis. my wife leaves the lights on in the walk in wardrobe and extractor fan on in the en suite nearly every waking hour she is in. 2x computers always on 24 /7....and the pool pumps run 8 hrs a day........split level aircon in one room on 8 hours a day over the summer when the kids were home......
Our electric bill was 518 dollars (478, if paid on time...it is) thats for 3 months.
Gas was 187 dollars.
exchange rate is 1.63 at the minute.
Seems its pretty cheap here. Petrol about 1.3o dollars a litre......... Downside is a Mars bar costs 2 dollars and a decent small bag of crisps is 3 dollars.
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to Mad Blue
09:42, Tuesday 21 March 2017
Mad Blue
Miguel

It's hard to argue with the above statement.

It is when your partner has 19 and 15 year old boys who need their own rooms when they come over to visit.
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to stinger
09:44, Tuesday 21 March 2017
stinger
The two of us are retired and are at home most of the time, we have same electric appliances as you ( mostly Bosch A or A++) energy rated and a poweful radon fan running 24x7 and we pay £280 a year electricity. Oil fired central heating and woodburners. House is large 3 bedroom detached. Freezers and fridges are the highest energy users because in most homes they are on 24x7. Have you got big Smegs or large unfilled units?
One last thought - Do you haveva smart meter? These have issues regarding wrongly reported kWh usage.

Nope the fridge freezer is a new A++ and is full pretty much most of the time. Our supplier aren't offering Smart meters in the area yet but we have one of the Owl add on meters being delivered today that was recommended earlier in the thread thumbs up
Tweet Topic

Southside Blue replying to Holier than thou
13:34, Tuesday 21 March 2017
Holier than thou
My wife and 2 kids leave the lights on in every room all day everyday. They sleep with lights on (The kids) We have 3 ceiling fans on all night on high in the bedrooms. Do 10-12 washes a week. Tumble dry 4 times a week. 2 x big TVs, charge up to 5 phones, ipads etc a day. Boil the kettle 5 times to make 1 cup of coffee on a reg basis. my wife leaves the lights on in the walk in wardrobe and extractor fan on in the en suite nearly every waking hour she is in. 2x computers always on 24 /7....and the pool pumps run 8 hrs a day........split level aircon in one room on 8 hours a day over the summer when the kids were home......
Our electric bill was 518 dollars (478, if paid on time...it is) thats for 3 months.
Gas was 187 dollars.
exchange rate is 1.63 at the minute.
Seems its pretty cheap here. Petrol about 1.3o dollars a litre......... Downside is a Mars bar costs 2 dollars and a decent small bag of crisps is 3 dollars.
. Thinly veiled " I'm in Australia laughing at my big brother who lives in Northfield " post .... But I 'm having the last laugh . No matter how much electricity and gas my wife wastes ( and it's plenty ) I can scoff as many Mars bars as I like . They're four for a pound at Asdas ... So there . I can also find a gig of interest every week if I choose , not once in two years AND I can watch a football team not quite as shite as Central Coast Mariners.
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
Tweet Topic

Southside Blue replying to Southside Blue
13:48, Tuesday 21 March 2017
And I'm not sweating like a pig all the time ....
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
Tweet Topic

Barking Poslethwaite replying to Southside Blue
14:45, Tuesday 21 March 2017
That's only because you can't afford to put the heating on.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
Tweet Topic

WorcsAzul replying to Barking Poslethwaite
15:05, Tuesday 21 March 2017
He can since he linked his storage heaters to Erika's electricity supply!!
Tweet Topic

Muzz replying to WorcsAzul
17:14, Tuesday 21 March 2017
Bravo clap clap clap.
Tweet Topic

Holier than thou replying to Southside Blue
11:32, Wednesday 22 March 2017
Based on the last 15 games of both teams...it's a very close call....
Tweet Topic

Holier than thou replying to Holier than thou
11:33, Wednesday 22 March 2017
....and just found out there's a Springsteen tribute band on at the local leagues club this weekend
Tweet Topic

666VAN replying to Erika
17:40, Wednesday 22 March 2017
Your usage is a killer.

My 2 bed flat, uses 1400kwh per year. You're using up to Six times more than that. At quite a cheap rate, by the looks of it.

Are your meter and billing, both getting done in KWH ?
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »