This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Aldershot away

The Bat
07:55, Friday 21 April 2017
Others on here would have gone. How many Blues would you estimate were there on the night. I am involved in a difference of opinion and my memory ain't always that accurate

Ta
Thanks for keeping us up Gary
Tweet Topic

Registered users can enjoy SHA without adverts for less than £1.00 per month. Click here for more details...

Re: Aldershot away

Thongs replying to The Bat
07:56, Friday 21 April 2017
This post is paid for by Small Heath Alliance

Never EVER forget!

[www.smallheathalliance.com]

Tweet Topic

The Bat replying to Thongs
08:28, Friday 21 April 2017
thumbs up

I said around the same but my mate reckoned around 150. Remember the mist, the park and thinking how the hell did we ever fall so far as to be playing this lot.

Plus the div in the filth top in their end
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to The Bat
08:37, Friday 21 April 2017
The attendance was just over a 1000 I think. I thought the club was going to fold back then. We were so so poor.

Never EVER forget!

Tweet Topic

Salford Blue replying to The Bat
08:55, Friday 21 April 2017
Never used to miss a game back then so probably was there but honestly don't remember it. You sure it was a viler top? Didnt they wear claret?

Slightly unrelated but this got me remembering what is still today my longest trip to an away game, in the U.K. anyway. Late 80's early 90's Darlington away. Long enough trip as it is but we were in Torquay for Christmas cue setting off at stupid o'clock for the never ending journey and then same again after the game. Great days.
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to Salford Blue
08:58, Friday 21 April 2017
Darlington was Boxing Day 1991. I think it was an early kick off. Finished 1-1.

It was shit.

Never EVER forget!

Tweet Topic

Magna 1,000,000 replying to Thongs
09:01, Friday 21 April 2017
Thongs
Darlington was Boxing Day 1991. I think it was an early kick off. Finished 1-1.

It was shit.

Its crazy how you remember these things despite being born what, 7-10 years after the match ever happened...

Poor bat is a frail elederly man losing his memory and your just encouraging him.
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to Magna 1,000,000
09:02, Friday 21 April 2017
Weird isnt it that I know so much about our club.

And some people still call me villa (spit)

Never EVER forget!

Tweet Topic

The Bat replying to Thongs
09:03, Friday 21 April 2017
Linked Image
Tweet Topic

Magna 1,000,000 replying to Thongs
09:05, Friday 21 April 2017
Thongs

And some people still call me villa (spit)

Ive always said you were a hero blue for driving that snake out of our town <3
Tweet Topic

John_Smullen replying to Thongs
09:06, Friday 21 April 2017
Thongs

And some people still call me villa VILE there is a diference (spit)
Never give someone the opportunity to waste your time twice.
Tweet Topic

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar replying to The Bat
09:08, Friday 21 April 2017
The Bat
thumbs up

I said around the same but my mate reckoned around 150. Remember the mist, the park and thinking how the hell did we ever fall so far as to be playing this lot.

Plus the div in the filth top in their end

My most vivid memory of that night was the journey home. There was a huge accident (multiple collisions) on way home. There was a collision we managed to avoid on the motorway which initially only unloved a couple of cars. We reversed on the hard shoulder with our hazards on in an attempt to warn traffic. It was foggy and visibility was poor. As cars passed us in the fog you saw the break lights go on, then heard the screech of brakes and unfortunately (at least a couple of times) a crunch of car hitting car. Felt almost helpless as it unfolded. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

If I recall correctly, as a fan you had freedom to stand pretty much anywhere you wanted in the ground. *There were Blues fans spread around the ground. That might be the reason it's hard to pinpoint the number of Blues fans that were in the ground.

*Mind you it's a long time ago and my mind might well be playing tricks on me.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
09:35, Friday 21 April 2017
My biggest memory of that night is arriving at Aldershot, heading for a set of floodlights - and finding ourselves at the army parade ground...

It was a funny night, it didn't really matter that we were shit.
Tweet Topic

Dougie Bell replying to Spike
09:48, Friday 21 April 2017
One of my abiding memories of going away with the Blues in the 80s and 90s was looking up the route to the town/city we were playing in, driving there then everyone in the car looking for the floodlights as you arrived on the outskirts of the town.
And following someone with a team sticker or mini kit (remember them?) In the back window. I followed a bloke with a Plymouth sticker in his window once (wearing a Plymouth shirt too) to get to Home park. Eventually followed him down a quiet terraced street. He got out and I rolled down the window and said "where's the ground mate?". He laughed and said "You been following me? It's about 3 miles away. I've just popped to see my mom on the way to the match".

Satnavs......pah.
Goodbye shorts, hello football!
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to Dougie Bell
09:53, Friday 21 April 2017
We were lucky in the old days in that we had a mate with an encyclopaedic knowledge of pubs.

Anywhere you could possibly go, he knew a good boozer. But even he was stumped by Aldershot.

So yeah - we did the "heading for the floodlights" thing and reckoned we would sort out a pub from there. We did eventually find a pub, when somebody told us the ground was in the middle of a park we thought they were taking the Michael...turned out it actually was.
Tweet Topic

Durham Blues replying to Thongs
09:59, Friday 21 April 2017
I was staying with outlaws that Christmas and found out there were no trains on boxing Day but my mother-in-law drove me over. Met a mate who was also in the NE for Christmas and his cousin, a Sunderland fan, gave us a lift back after their match.

I think a clearance hit the sign on the leisure centre behind the Blues fans and their fans changing ends at half time too.
Tweet Topic

Bordesley not Small Heath replying to The Bat
10:04, Friday 21 April 2017
Ahh the 80's.

Some shocking away support in those days. Low 100's. What made it worse is that some away ends were huge open terraces( and usually allocated a section of seating on the side) so when you've only got 150 fans it doesn't look great ( same when 100 fans would come to St Andrews, standing in the large terraced away end in Tilton)

As for floodlights- this sounds very 'Anorak like'but i do miss the 4 x pylons across the towns and cities of this country, they were always something to look out for when visiting other towns even when there wasn't even a game on
Tweet Topic

Inspector Montalbano replying to Bordesley not Small Heath
10:09, Friday 21 April 2017
I would say we had around 200 regular away supporters in those days, that night I think my mate Mark drove in his red cavalier
Tweet Topic

The Bat replying to Bordesley not Small Heath
10:10, Friday 21 April 2017
Bordesley not Small Heath
Ahh the 80's.

Some shocking away support in those days. Low 100's. What made it worse is that some away ends were huge open terraces( and usually allocated a section of seating on the side) so when you've only got 150 fans it doesn't look great ( same when 100 fans would come to St Andrews, standing in the large terraced away end in Tilton)

As for floodlights- this sounds very 'Anorak like'but i do miss the 4 x pylons across the towns and cities of this country, they were always something to look out for when visiting other towns even when there wasn't even a game on

Was nice to see those same floodlights still standing at the old millmoor ground last week
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »