This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

30+ getting linked with our club

JPMckeown90
16:23, Friday 19 May 2017
As everybody else, I'm really looking forward to next Season under Harry, I loved Rowett but I never believed we'd ever go up with him at the helm.
As for Harry, with his contacts in football we could be looking at least touching distance from promotion.
My only concern being is we've only been linked with players at the wrong end of their career which is great for a season, but (and I know I shouldn't) I'm already looking at the season after next, thinking Harry is only here for the one year and left with older players with a two year contracts, plus the squad we have already in the late 20's/early 30's.

Point I'm making is, I would love some decent scouting going on and sign some up and coming stars (I hope we don't lose Che either) and like Fulham this season, play some good fluid football up the far end of the pitch.
What's everybody's thoughts on the players we're linked with? Samba, Terry ;), Keane, Crouch etc.
Be gentle by the way, long time bluenose but first time poster.
Tweet Topic

Registered users can enjoy SHA without adverts for less than £1.00 per month. Click here for more details...

Re: 30+ getting linked with our club

Petebaldwin replying to JPMckeown90
16:29, Friday 19 May 2017
I doubt there is any truth in it. They are just really easy rumours to start that will guarantee plenty of clicks.

It's like how everyone usually talks about ex-Blues players every summer and why we should sign them all. Because Redknapp is quite famous and people know who about his ex-players, we're being linked to them as well.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't even try to sign any of them.
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to Petebaldwin
16:36, Friday 19 May 2017
Yeah, I do see what you're saying. I mean out of the lot of them I do believe Crouch would actually improve our side massively. There's a couple of players I wouldn't mind us moving on, Donaldson, Cotts, Gleeson, Tesche, Robinson (give him a coaching role), Legzdins and I would've said Maghoma but he looked lively since returning under Harry.
Tweet Topic

Carlos & His Perfect Hair replying to JPMckeown90
16:45, Friday 19 May 2017
Don't worry, Jeff is on it
Tweet Topic

Bluemarc81 replying to JPMckeown90
16:47, Friday 19 May 2017
Welcome mate.

Id have Keane and Samba personally. Not concerned with age.

FIRE UP THE feckING BUS!
Ricky Otto once told me he lathered his body in coconut oil after a match.

@1981marc
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to Carlos & His Perfect Hair
16:49, Friday 19 May 2017
Return of Daniel De Ridder or Jovan Kirovski?
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to Bluemarc81
16:54, Friday 19 May 2017
I'll be honest with you, I haven't seen much of Keane or Samba in the last couple of years to know if they'll improve the squad. We've been linked with Ryan Bennett from Norwich who could be the right type of player.
No doubt when fit Samba will be a beast in the championship but can he play all season? And if not will Shotton or Morrison be happy to play second fiddle? Who knows, it's just nice to enjoy a transfer window for the first time since we signed Hleb. January would've been brilliant if it wasn't for Z**a in charge,
Tweet Topic

bluemandoo replying to JPMckeown90
16:57, Friday 19 May 2017
Glenn Murray's shit
I ain't a wheeler dealer I'm a fackin football manager.
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to bluemandoo
17:01, Friday 19 May 2017
Murray is a great player but we're not linked with him? I know I'll be eating my words but I'd snap somebody's hand off to sign him. Proven goal scorer and good off the ball as well.
Tweet Topic

BlueStorm replying to JPMckeown90
17:02, Friday 19 May 2017
Far too sensible.
Tweet Topic

Inspector Montalbano replying to JPMckeown90
17:05, Friday 19 May 2017
Welcome Jp , whats your favourite crisps etc.... I share your concerns with regard to wages but we need to have a team to get promoted then we need a different team to stay up so old timers for promotion then European quality to stay up.
Tweet Topic

Ignatius J. Reilly replying to JPMckeown90
18:48, Friday 19 May 2017
JPMckeown90
Yeah, I do see what you're saying. I mean out of the lot of them I do believe Crouch would actually improve our side massively. There's a couple of players I wouldn't mind us moving on, Donaldson, Cotts, Gleeson, Tesche, Robinson (give him a coaching role), Legzdins and I would've said Maghoma but he looked lively since returning under Harry.

Really confused as to why you would have thought Mags should move on

Offers a lot and always offered a lot before Harry and Zola
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to JPMckeown90
19:48, Friday 19 May 2017
JPMckeown90
As everybody else, I'm really looking forward to next Season under Harry, I loved Rowett but I never believed we'd ever go up with him at the helm.
As for Harry, with his contacts in football we could be looking at least touching distance from promotion.
My only concern being is we've only been linked with players at the wrong end of their career which is great for a season, but (and I know I shouldn't) I'm already looking at the season after next, thinking Harry is only here for the one year and left with older players with a two year contracts, plus the squad we have already in the late 20's/early 30's.

Point I'm making is, I would love some decent scouting going on and sign some up and coming stars (I hope we don't lose Che either) and like Fulham this season, play some good fluid football up the far end of the pitch.
What's everybody's thoughts on the players we're linked with? Samba, Terry ;), Keane, Crouch etc.
Be gentle by the way, long time bluenose but first time poster.

I actually agree with magna. One season full of vets,we go up, they can't hack the prem, we get relegated. Back to square one.
Tweet Topic

JourneyOn replying to JPMckeown90
08:12, Saturday 20 May 2017
JPMckeown90

Our poor form this season didn't just coincide with management changes it coincided with Donaldson's injury. At our current level with the squad we have he is absolutely crucial to us and his game management against Bristol showed just how much we missed him. He's definitely a keeper for me.
Tweet Topic

Blue_Hog replying to JPMckeown90
08:17, Saturday 20 May 2017
I wouldnt mind a whole team of 30+'s. We have one overriding short-term goal. The aim is promotion. We'll have to replace most of the squad next season in the Premiership anyway, so buying the players just to get us there is okay by me.
I can cope with despair. It's the hope I cannot handle.
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to Ignatius J. Reilly
08:34, Saturday 20 May 2017
It wasn't the case of Mags looking a bad player, I just thought he was done for after being frozen out of the team. I certainly rate his work ethic but if everyone is thinking 'promotion' then there surely must be more to be done than just man management and sign players who can score and assist?
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to Blue_Hog
08:37, Saturday 20 May 2017
I'd take that too, point I'm making is. What if we don't go up? Harry leaves and we're stuck with Kenny Jacket and a squad we can't move on, high wages and no motivation (look how poor we looked under Z**a, surely the players had a say in our poor form) (can't believe I've just stuck up for Z**a)
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to JourneyOn
08:42, Saturday 20 May 2017
Before his injury I was screaming for him and Adams upfront as I believed they would of compliment each other, but Jukes goals were crucial. Looks like Harry is looking for a striker, which means is it Juke or the Don not getting game time?
I would've said Jack Storer long before the season had started but I've got him on snap chat and his heart doesn't seem in it anymore, everything is girlfriend related. Even when we played Bristol City, he was out horse riding with her, no comment on the game (unless on Twitter) but that's just my personal opinion on the guy. I could be totally wrong.
Tweet Topic

666VAN replying to JPMckeown90
09:07, Saturday 20 May 2017
I've seen Crouch's name mentioned a few times in recent days.

Last reports I read, put him on £40k a week.

I'd be surprised if we could match a quarter of that.

People seem surprisingly keen to get us back financially, to where we were a couple of years back. It's like it never happened :D
Tweet Topic

JPMckeown90 replying to 666VAN
09:11, Saturday 20 May 2017
That's the thing? I keep hearing different rumours about how much money we've got to spend. Surely some of that is having Harry on board?
20 million including wages, somebody on £40k a week for 2 years will take up £5 million without any transfer fee.
Tweet Topic

09:23, Saturday 20 May 2017
We turned over £14.7m last year.

Most clubs should be targeting 65% wages to turnover.

So there's your £9.5M playing budget.

Divide that by a 22 man squad, and you're looking at £8000 per player per week.

The odd gamble here and there on a player with a resale value, I can understand.

But £40k a week for someone to buy a deeper swimming pool and us being left in the shit again.... nah. Not for me.

They were going down the right lines in the January window. I just hope we're not going to try the shit or bust routine. It rarely works.
Tweet Topic

09:31, Saturday 20 May 2017
I think this is where personality in a player will play a big part in our season, now I could imagine the dressing room is up there along with the Mcleish dressing room era but we obviously had more money to splash back then.
Now I'm happy bringing in a top player for top money but he needs a good work ethic like Bowyer did back in the day to get us promoted.
Tweet Topic

09:38, Saturday 20 May 2017
Yep, the odd one who's got something to offer. Not a knacker on a final pay day.

I'll tell you where I'm at.....

If I start seeing old players coming in on high wages, I'm going to start thinking naive owners, and back handers between manager's agents and players agents and third parties.

I'd rather the club were sustainable. We've got a thread running, where we're taking the piss out of Villa, and the contracts they've lumbered themselves with. And I think it's great.

But let's not join 'em.
Tweet Topic

09:42, Saturday 20 May 2017
I agree, some good scouting and dressing room ethic can get anyone promoted from the championship. All that money Villa/Wednesday threw at players yet Brighton are up and it's a mix between Huddlesfield and Reading, hardly big spenders.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »