This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Getting Relegated

bluer than blues
13:18, Wednesday 13 September 2017
from the premier league in 05/06; did we ever recover from this? As fans, I mean. I remember St Andrews before promotion to the prem and it was always fun, regardless of the score. I've mentioned it before but the year we lost 0-4 at home to Barnsley and we started singing 'we're on our way, we're going nowhere' was indicative of the fans at that time; the ability to laugh at our misfortune and take it on the chin. Since we've come down that has disappeared. There is an expectancy for greater things, which is fine but with it we have lost our humour and our ability to just enjoy the game that we spend so much of our lives worrying about. I'm sure the advancement of the internet has encouraged the negative attitudes that seem to permeate most forums/message boards but you hear it at the ground also. There is a deathly silence that is often only broken by the cursing of players when they misplace a single pass.

I know it has improved slightly but what has happened to us? Maybe we need to go down another level and take a real good kicking to appreciate what we've got. My local side, Leyton Orient, are playing non league with the threat of going out of existence. That is a time for doom-mongering and despondency. Let's get back to having fun again. Cheer the team on and forgive them the small mistakes and if it all goes t*ts up, let's rip the piss out of them (in a good humoured way) like we did in 2000 against Barnsley.

KRO
Tweet Topic

Re: Getting Relegated

Thongs replying to bluer than blues
13:27, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Maybe you should attend more games and see what it's really like.
This post is paid for by Small Heath Alliance

Never EVER forget!

[www.smallheathalliance.com]
Tweet Topic

Ray Mac replying to bluer than blues
13:28, Wednesday 13 September 2017
The old school are slowly dwindling and being replaced with the Johnny come latelys or Johnny come backs (after promotion or cup success ) and they expect everything now....that's the new era of football and it's shite...but unfortunately that's progress supposedly. ...I like your sentiment though....KRO SOTV
Tweet Topic

Oldham replying to Ray Mac
13:30, Wednesday 13 September 2017
So you basically dislike any Blues fan 25 or under?

That's not a great starting point is it.
Tweet Topic

footballisanart replying to Oldham
13:43, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Oldham

It's fair enough though... they are whinging c*nts
Tweet Topic

TuttoCalcio replying to Oldham
13:44, Wednesday 13 September 2017
I dislike all young people.
Tweet Topic

Ray Mac replying to Oldham
13:47, Wednesday 13 September 2017
7.45pm
Oldham

ShoWho me where I said I dislike anyone ? I stated my opinion as to why I think we are turning into something akin to the Fannys over the way...
Tweet Topic

Dududugarry replying to Oldham
13:48, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Most of the whining at the ground is from the wrinkly old fannys
Tweet Topic

Oldham replying to Dududugarry
13:51, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Yeah, the 'gerritforward' brigade.
Tweet Topic

Petebaldwin replying to Ray Mac
13:55, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Ray Mac
7.45pm
Oldham

ShoWho me where I said I dislike anyone ? I stated my opinion as to why I think we are turning into something akin to the Fannys over the way...

I agree - turning on your own clubs fans because you are old and don't like change is definitely a Villa move.
Tweet Topic

albert replying to Oldham
14:01, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Getting IN to the premier league was the problem! The raucous, gallows humoured character type of fan that had been going for years was gradually priced out of the ground and replaced by new blues fans that deserted the club as soon as we were relegated. Most of the old school rough n ready type haven't come back and the newer fans are unfortunately (by and large) desperate to be in the premiership, as I think, for them, that's all football is about
Tweet Topic

bluearmyfaction replying to bluer than blues
14:02, Wednesday 13 September 2017
I don't think we ever recovered economically from that. We ended up £16m or so in debt from that one Championship season and it was catch-up ever after. Couple that with the owners getting bored without a free ground and that relegation did more harm than anything this side of selling Trev.

Particularly galling that we were only relegated because the FA allowed Portsmouth to launder money from an Israeli arms dealer.
Tweet Topic

Oldham replying to albert
14:04, Wednesday 13 September 2017
It's really not a 'problem' - or limited to Blues. Most, if not all, football clubs have the same generational differences in fans.
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to Dududugarry
14:05, Wednesday 13 September 2017
It's the oldies, rattling on about how good it used to be when they were rolling down muddy hills at half time, pissing in each others pockets, paying 25p for a ticket whilst being mindlessly wrecked on 3% pints of bitter, no comprehension of how the team were playing, their hands dirty and their perms stinking of cheap fags and disappointment.

They corner you at the game and waste no time in lecturing you about the amazing players that we had in the 70's and that today's lads don't stand up to them, with only their hazy and drink fueled memories to support their claims.

Their heroes won less for Blues than Stuart Parnaby and dragged us into relegation battles through the 70's on a diet of Mars Bars and lard, playing hungover and looking 43 years old despite being 23, the fitness levels of semi-professional darts players.

Bob Hatton? He'd kill scarf lady to have Martin Jiranek's winners medal, if only he was half the player, he might have had one in his bungalow, if he hadn't pawned it already.

If Jonathan Grounds was transported back to 1976 and played for Blues he'd be their favourite player, the oldies know it, they just can't bring themselves to remove their Werthers Original and admit it.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Nath replying to Dududugarry
14:08, Wednesday 13 September 2017
The only thing worse than the result at Norwich were the clueless, stupid, moaning old farts behind me. 3 of them I think.

Sounded like Sunday league coaches, just with fewer brains. Blurting out unjustified criticism of our players - and just generally moaning for moanings sake.

I was in row P, seat 38 I think.

So if this was you please feel free to take as much offence as possible from this, and please refrain from attending the blues again until your boring negative outlook has changed.

Thanks thumbs up
Tweet Topic

CheswickBlue replying to Le Mod
14:11, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Tweet Topic

Dududugarry replying to albert
14:13, Wednesday 13 September 2017
albert
Getting IN to the premier league was the problem! The raucous, gallows humoured character type of fan that had been going for years was gradually priced out of the ground and replaced by new blues fans that deserted the club as soon as we were relegated. Most of the old school rough n ready type haven't come back and the newer fans are unfortunately (by and large) desperate to be in the premiership, as I think, for them, that's all football is about

Wasn't it the 'old school rough n ready' types that let our attendance dwindle to 5,000*?

Pathetic, the under 35's wouldn't let that happen now.

*Ive had 10,000 people tell me they were part of that crowd.
Tweet Topic

mr_crosby replying to Le Mod
14:15, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Le Mod
It's the oldies, rattling on about how good it used to be when they were rolling down muddy hills at half time, pissing in each others pockets, paying 25p for a ticket whilst being mindlessly wrecked on 3% pints of bitter, no comprehension of how the team were playing, their hands dirty and their perms stinking of cheap fags and disappointment.

They corner you at the game and waste no time in lecturing you about the amazing players that we had in the 70's and that today's lads don't stand up to them, with only their hazy and drink fueled memories to support their claims.

Their heroes won less for Blues than Stuart Parnaby and dragged us into relegation battles through the 70's on a diet of Mars Bars and lard, playing hungover and looking 43 years old despite being 23, the fitness levels of semi-professional darts players.

Bob Hatton? He'd kill scarf lady to have Martin Jiranek's winners medal, if only he was half the player, he might have had one in his bungalow, if he hadn't pawned it already.

So let's get the ages of all the negative posters from the last 5 days to see how that stacks up?
Tweet Topic

Dududugarry replying to Le Mod
14:16, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Don't forget the settee, they couldn't even be bothered to stand at an away game!
Tweet Topic

Dududugarry replying to mr_crosby
14:17, Wednesday 13 September 2017
That wouldn't be fair, most old people don't know how to use the internet.
Tweet Topic

Freud replying to Oldham
14:17, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Oldham
Yeah, the 'gerritforward' brigade.

One up front, hoofed up from the back.

Rowett has a lot to answer for.
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to mr_crosby
14:20, Wednesday 13 September 2017
18, super positive, hate DVBs and GCSE's grrrr!!!!
This post is paid for by Small Heath Alliance

Never EVER forget!

[www.smallheathalliance.com]
Tweet Topic

The Birmingham Glacier Shift replying to bluer than blues
14:20, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Misread the post :D
Only at Blues.
Tweet Topic

Ray Mac replying to albert
14:21, Wednesday 13 September 2017
albert
Oooohhh you can't say that you whining old fanny :D
Tweet Topic

coventrybluenose replying to Le Mod
14:21, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Since I started supporting a Blues as a 9 year old we have had 3 good periods when watching Blues was fun, 1971-1979, 1993 -1996 and 2002 - 2011. All the rest has been largely poor or nondescript. For me the problem so far this season has been the high expectation that a corner has been turned only to find we are going deeper into the dead-end.
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to mr_crosby
14:24, Wednesday 13 September 2017
Just taking the piss to be honest, killed a few minutes.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Party Fears Two replying to Nath
14:27, Wednesday 13 September 2017
i had two 20 somethings behind and to the side of me at Norwich, shouting absolute b*ll*cks in my ear and every other word was c*nt. "Grounds you c*nt. Davis you c*nt"
that together with gesturing to the Norwich fans the whole game.

Gimmee the oldies any day!
Tweet Topic

mr_crosby replying to Le Mod
14:28, Wednesday 13 September 2017
You wasn't one of the moaning fannys bed whetting.
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to mr_crosby
14:32, Wednesday 13 September 2017
I haven't wet the bed since I was 22
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Ray Mac replying to Le Mod
14:32, Wednesday 13 September 2017
But we were proper men in them days...most of us had left home by the time we had reached 12 years of age. ...not like you modern youth. ...still suckling on your mom's tit at 30 plus....
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »