This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Redknapp wants Keane, Downing, Cole

Sky Sports
20:25, Saturday 15 July 2017
Birmingham boss Harry Redknapp has confirmed his interest in Ashley Cole, Robbie Keane and Stewart Downing to Sky Sports News HQ.

[www.skysports.com]
Tweet Topic

Cole, Keane and Downing

LondonBlue replying to Sky Sports
19:39, Saturday 15 July 2017
Harry was on Sky Sports News confirming his interest in the 3 of them.

Slightly concerning. I wouldn't mind 1 of them, but all 3 are well into their 30s and will want big wages.

Stockdale, Gardner and Ndoye are also in their 30s.

Is our team becoming a little old?
Tweet Topic

Re: Cole, Keane and Downing

Louie Donowa replying to LondonBlue
19:40, Saturday 15 July 2017
Andy, Roy and Keith?
Dictated but not read.

Louie Donowa
Tweet Topic

Tank replying to LondonBlue
19:44, Saturday 15 July 2017
Welcome to Harry's world
I've covered all this in my blog
Weeks ago
I'm not FULLY behind this adventure
I got the Terry saga absolutely spot on
As I always do
Rub a dub dub
Woof bark donkey
Tweet Topic

Roman replying to LondonBlue
19:50, Saturday 15 July 2017
Wouldn't mind Cole and Downing. Wouldn't want Keane.

Apparently Cole is only on about £5k a week so shouldn't cost too much
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to Tank
19:55, Saturday 15 July 2017
Tank
Welcome to Harry's world
I've covered all this in my blog
Weeks ago
I'm not FULLY behind this adventure
I got the Terry saga absolutely spot on
As I always do

:D
This post is paid for by Small Heath Alliance

Never EVER forget!

[www.smallheathalliance.com]
Tweet Topic

Quinnlar replying to LondonBlue
20:17, Saturday 15 July 2017
Cole I would have. Great mentor for Keita. I would have downing due to him being a left footed midfielder. Harry said if keane did come he would be great for dressing room and wouldn't start many games
Tweet Topic

Re: Redknapp wants Keane, Downing, Cole

DB replying to Sky Sports
21:00, Saturday 15 July 2017
Redknapp is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

When he's Jekyll he signs Marcs Roberts and Stockdale.

Then a lunar adjustment takes place and something dark stirs in his persona.

He morphs into Mr Hyde and is hell bent on going after old, expensive has-beens.

One, on a more moderate contract, would be ok. Three or more could be a disaster.
@DB20Something
Tweet Topic

Ginja Ninja replying to DB
21:06, Saturday 15 July 2017
I'm not convinced he's being completely truthful here.

My reasoning is if we wanted Keane then we would have him. He's been without a club for 7 months and literally nobody else is interested in taking him.
Tweet Topic

Musername replying to DB
21:08, Saturday 15 July 2017
Would love Keane, as an option off the bench in this league he would be amazing.
Tweet Topic

LondonBlue replying to DB
21:10, Saturday 15 July 2017
In fairness, the Portsmouth team that won the league was mainly over-30s.

I'm torn.
Tweet Topic

Ginja Ninja replying to Musername
21:18, Saturday 15 July 2017
Why has nobody taken him in the last 7 months if he has so much to offer?
Tweet Topic

Ginja Ninja replying to Ginja Ninja
21:20, Saturday 15 July 2017
I would take Downing but the other 2 are finished.
Tweet Topic

Musername replying to Ginja Ninja
21:20, Saturday 15 July 2017
Do you know that nobody has?

He's a proven finisher, with 15/20 minutes to go in a game he only needs 1 chance against a tiring defence. He's not going to be brought in to play 90 minutes.
Tweet Topic

TQ Blue replying to Musername
21:40, Saturday 15 July 2017
Musername
He's a proven finisher, with 15/20 minutes to go in a game he only needs 1 chance against a tiring defence. He's not going to be brought in to play 90 minutes.

People keep presenting this argument but with respect I think it's a little blinkered. There's more to it than just whether a player can get the odd goal in twenty minutes or not.

Psychologically it makes a difference to your number one striker to know that there are multiple other strikers in the squad and on the bench who can play ninety minutes if necessary and push him back in the pecking order. If he knows that his only competition is a player who can't start games because he won't make it to half time he won't feel that same pressure.

In my opinion the best teams are ones that are filled with hungry players, chomping at the bit to get games, to keep their place, to win trophies, to make a name for themselves, to get a better contract or a transfer to the premier league or an international call-up.

I'm not saying that you can't utilise older players, but I am saying that there's a lot more to it than whether someone is useful for twenty minutes. Each player is taking up a squad place and consuming resources. There are only so many places on the bench. What if your striker gets injured after 10 minutes and all you have to replace him is the guy who can only manage 20 minutes?

Currently, our strikers don't seem to be hungry enough because they're not doing the business. They need competition for their places. I watched Juke and Donaldson on the live stream today and I only saw one thing that caught my eye (Donaldson's backheel for the goal) whereas Adams was hungry as hell - we need more of that youthful hunger in my opinion, as much of it as we can possibly get. Ideally we want a squad overflowing with it.

I was gutted when Adams went off at half time because he was making things happen and unsettling the opposition, but to be fair Fabbrini came on and was as hungry as Adams and ran his socks off while playing good football too. Harry has created that hunger in many of the players, but we can't have enough of it. I don't think players in their Autumn years are going to provide what we need, we have enough of those already.
Tweet Topic

ZuZuZuluArmy replying to Sky Sports
21:56, Saturday 15 July 2017
No no no no..a bit of QPR deja vu here.

This isn't good at..

Downings shit! Keane was good when? back playing for the Dingles?

Ashley Cole couldnt hack the Championship at 37/38.

Blimey let's go for some up and coming L1/L2 players!
Tweet Topic

b34blues replying to ZuZuZuluArmy
22:53, Saturday 15 July 2017
Cole is 36 younger then terry !!! I don't no what to think , I'm a no no if Keane is the only striker we get in that I'm sure on but if we get another striker in and he uses Keane as a impact last 15/20 mins get us a goal player then ok !!! Cole if it's a get us up job here's a 1 season deal and it works for us no one will give a toss then will they !! Now I. For the downing signing as he has the exploded this league he was doing ok at boro the fans loved him up there but midddle of other season when karanka done his I'm off and walked out then came back thing him and downing fell out so he's been ditched since then mostly so he needs a fresh start and I think it could be a good move !!
Tweet Topic

U-R replying to Sky Sports
23:09, Saturday 15 July 2017
Do we need to set up an old people's home at the club?

I'd take Downing and Cole, no to Keane.
Tweet Topic

bluer than blues replying to ZuZuZuluArmy
07:38, Sunday 16 July 2017
It's to be expected really. Harry's only here for the season and he doesn't want to spend it muddling about in the middle of the table. He's doing all he can to get us up. He's experienced with the old-timers and getting one last fight out of them. No one was sure about Bowyer or Ferguson when they showed up and Carr had been out of football for almost a year before coming to us and he turned out to be the most inspiring right back I've seen at this club.

If they're willing to fight like the aforementioned three then their quality will be invaluable. If not they'll do bugger all and be gone at the end of the season.
Tweet Topic

Atticus_Phil1 replying to bluer than blues
08:41, Sunday 16 July 2017
According to Harry, he hasn't even spoken to players that he mentioned, the little piece of information I took out the soundbite was 'If there free, I'm interested' which would suggest to me that that's where we're shopping.
Tweet Topic

Tarquin replying to Atticus_Phil1
09:18, Sunday 16 July 2017
The headline is very out of kilter with what was actually said.
I saw the rain dirty valley, you saw Brigadoon. I sighed...you swooned.
Tweet Topic

Quinnlar replying to LondonBlue
09:53, Sunday 16 July 2017
You never know this could be like when the ginger one brought carsley and Phillips. We didn't do to bad that season
Tweet Topic

Bluestaines replying to Quinnlar
10:12, Sunday 16 July 2017
Sometimes these type of signing work, such as Phillips, Carr etc, but other times not. Nicky Butt? I think Cole could still be really useful. He is a top player, and Keane maybe off the bench. Not sure about Downing. From reports of pre-season, it sounds as if Harry is beginning to get the best out of the likes of Fabrinni and Frei and I would love to see both of them in our midfield regularly rather than Downing.
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to Musername
10:36, Sunday 16 July 2017
When was the last time you saw Robbie Keane play?

I reckon people have the Spurs Keane in their minds, he's basically retired now, he's not better than the strikers we have.

It's a no from me Tom.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Roger the lodger replying to Le Mod
11:33, Sunday 16 July 2017
I'm willing to back Arry's judgement. He'd have looked at all three recently and if he thinks they can still do it then that's good enough for me.
Tweet Topic

Polly wants a crack rock replying to Roger the lodger
11:42, Sunday 16 July 2017
Big thumbs up from me. If Harry didn't know what he was doing he'd be sat behind a keyboard moaning like a big f****y!! Loving this season already, after what we've been through I wish people would just enjoy the ride he's about to take us on.
Tweet Topic

TQ Blue replying to Polly wants a crack rock
11:56, Sunday 16 July 2017
Polly wants a crack rock
Big thumbs up from me. If Harry didn't know what he was doing he'd be sat behind a keyboard moaning like a big f****y!! Loving this season already, after what we've been through I wish people would just enjoy the ride he's about to take us on.

With respect, we would be struggling to find things to discuss if we all agreed on everything, the forum would be dead.

Some people seem to disagree a lot with the manager's choices, others like yourself back him regardless and there are all sorts somewhere in between, along that broad spectrum of opinion.

We will all enjoy the ride and back the manager until the point where we stop backing him, but some of us like to express our opinions too, even if it is the opposite of the manager's or the general consensus. Disagreeing is not necessarily moaning, especially if the person disagreeing offers alternative players they would prefer.

I respect your right to agree with him and your opinion of whether these players are right for the team....
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to Sky Sports
12:14, Sunday 16 July 2017
The 2 players we have signed have both been under the radar and done without any fuss. Harry chats a lot to the press let's just see who we end up with
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
Tweet Topic

Scoobers replying to A_n_E
16:56, Sunday 16 July 2017
Downing meeting on Tuesday apparently:

[www.thenorthernecho.co.uk]
Tweet Topic

Ribeye replying to Scoobers
17:38, Sunday 16 July 2017
Who is Martin Braithwaite they have signed? 9m???? Never heard of him.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »