This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Downing in Birmingham talks

Sky Sports
17:45, Sunday 16 July 2017
Birmingham City are in talks with Stewart Downing over a move from Middlesbrough, according to Sky sources.

[www.skysports.com]
Tweet Topic

Re: Downing in Birmingham talks

JPMckeown90 replying to Sky Sports
17:52, Sunday 16 July 2017
If he gets his head down and puts in a real shift every game then I'm happy about this signing, I just hope him coming in isn't a excuse to offload Frei, if he's going anyway fair enough but I don't want Downing to 'replace' him,
Tweet Topic

Tilton shark replying to Sky Sports
17:54, Sunday 16 July 2017
I know not everyone agrees but this would be a decent signing IMO. Still more than good enough at champ level.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
Tweet Topic

Redijedi replying to Sky Sports
17:58, Sunday 16 July 2017
The more I think about this the more inclined i am to agree with this signing. The reported 60k a week wages are a definate no no, and even halved would still be a too big outlay. But he's on a free and he is a higher standard of player than we currently have. If we can get him on fair wages on a free, think he would be a good signing.

He's reportedly on 60k s week at boro according to their local paper.
Tweet Topic

Sid James replying to Redijedi
18:21, Sunday 16 July 2017
To me it kind of doesn't matter where a player has come from it's where they're going that's key. If he puts a shift in every week I'll be happy with him.
Beware! I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges
Tweet Topic

Akita replying to Sid James
18:29, Sunday 16 July 2017
Ever thought he could play in the middle as an creative midfielder, im sure ive seem him play there.
Tweet Topic

TQ Blue replying to Redijedi
18:30, Sunday 16 July 2017
Redijedi
The more I think about this the more inclined i am to agree with this signing. The reported 60k a week wages are a definate no no, and even halved would still be a too big outlay. But he's on a free and he is a higher standard of player than we currently have. If we can get him on fair wages on a free, think he would be a good signing.

He's reportedly on 60k s week at boro according to their local paper.

No wonder they're willing to let him go on a free despite having two years left on his contract! Some info here on his wages from when he resigned for them in 2015 before promotion -

[www.express.co.uk]

"Downing has taken a 50 per cent wage cut to earn a basic £35,000 a week at the Riverside. But the incentives-based deal will see him double that amount if the club ends its six-year Premier League exile."

JPMckeown90
If he gets his head down and puts in a real shift every game then I'm happy about this signing, I just hope him coming in isn't a excuse to offload Frei, if he's going anyway fair enough but I don't want Downing to 'replace' him,

I agree about Frei. In my opinion, Downing is only worth having if he's free and his wages are a bargain.
Tweet Topic

Redijedi replying to Sid James
18:32, Sunday 16 July 2017
Like minded. Think under Harry he could flourish again. Knowing that Harry wanted him at spurs and still rates him highly ...there's alot to be said for good man management and giving people confidence. Got high hopes for Che Adams this season for much the same reasons.
Tweet Topic

Blue Machine replying to Sid James
18:35, Sunday 16 July 2017
I'll be ok with this if it happens.
They played him in most of their Prem matches last season so his current fitness levels must be good.And wasnt he in their side when they got promoted the year before?.There is definitely a ready made birth for him and he's surely an upgrade on Cottrill.Probably the better signing of the 3 being mentioned at the moment.
Tweet Topic

Redijedi replying to TQ Blue
18:40, Sunday 16 July 2017
Through close season I've been under the impression that Frei wanted to leave but if he wants to stay unless there is something we're not being told, we'd be stupid to get rid of imo.needs to at least be given a chance first.agree wholeheartedly on downing.Fair wages,no problem. But not as replacement for frei.
Tweet Topic

I.P.F replying to Redijedi
19:10, Sunday 16 July 2017
Put it this way: If we're serious about getting promotion this year, then Midlesbrough will be serious rivals. If Downing's not good enough for them, then why is he good enough for us?
Tweet Topic

Rab C Nesbitt replying to I.P.F
19:15, Sunday 16 July 2017
That's not how things work though
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
Tweet Topic

TQ Blue replying to I.P.F
19:36, Sunday 16 July 2017
I.P.F
Put it this way: If we're serious about getting promotion this year, then Midlesbrough will be serious rivals. If Downing's not good enough for them, then why is he good enough for us?

I don't necessarily disagree with you but one answer to the question is that they have premier league parachute payments, we don't.

Another is that if he stays at boro, presumeably he stays on the hefty contract he already has - in other words, they are happy to get rid because he's on premier league wages - it's not that he's not good enough for them, he's too expensive for them now that they've been relegated.
Tweet Topic

Baloo replying to Sky Sports
19:37, Sunday 16 July 2017
Don't want him. He's 33 next week, wasn't great in Boro's promotion season 2 years ago, and did absolutely nothing last season.

Getting rid of Frei and replacing him with Downing would be mental.
Tweet Topic

Musername replying to I.P.F
19:38, Sunday 16 July 2017
They have a much better midfield than we do.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Musername
19:43, Sunday 16 July 2017
Getting rid of freight and replacing him with a top pro like Downing great move.
Kro
Tweet Topic

Quokkasskip replying to DES
20:04, Sunday 16 July 2017
Downing

Is he better than maghoma? Yes
Is he better than cotterill? Yes
Would it mean Gardner stops taking free kicks and corners... yes

Could he play left back better than grounds? For debate.. but an option

Is he better than Frei? Probably and is better defensively, definitely a good option.
Tweet Topic

Ginja Ninja replying to Quokkasskip
20:10, Sunday 16 July 2017
Very well put.
Tweet Topic

85Blue replying to Quokkasskip
20:11, Sunday 16 July 2017
Quokkasskip
Downing

Is he better than maghoma? Yes
Is he better than cotterill? Yes
Would it mean Gardner stops taking free kicks and corners... yes

Could he play left back better than grounds? For debate.. but an option

Is he better than Frei? Probably and is better defensively, definitely a good option.

Logical talk like that is not welcome on here
Tweet Topic

Screamoblue replying to Baloo
20:29, Sunday 16 July 2017
Baloo
Don't want him. He's 33 next week, wasn't great in Boro's promotion season 2 years ago, and did absolutely nothing last season.

He was so bad he played every single game in their promotion season.
Tweet Topic

Musername replying to DES
20:38, Sunday 16 July 2017
I didn't say that though.
Tweet Topic

Redijedi replying to I.P.F
20:48, Sunday 16 July 2017
Ipf, i do get where your coming from but tq blues response summed it up nicely for my point of view. He is a step up in class to what we have. I would be concerned on how much his wages would be.
Tweet Topic

Rab C Nesbitt replying to Baloo
20:51, Sunday 16 July 2017
Baloo

We've just signed Robbo who is 38 and people are moaning about Downing :D

Feck me with a cactus tree, not long back we signed Brock Madsen , Lowry, Legzdins and Buckley and people were more positive
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
Tweet Topic

Scoobers replying to Baloo
21:04, Sunday 16 July 2017
Most of Zola's signings bar Nsue haven't worked so far. Most of them (all ? ) are younger than Downing.

Gardner was an erm, gift from Panos.

I think if we have a sprinkling of experience that's fine and tbh I could see Downing playing in the number 10 style role and doing okay for us, a bit like when HR bought Merson to Portsmouth
Tweet Topic

JourneyOn replying to Scoobers
21:17, Sunday 16 July 2017
Gardner has a lot to prove - very underwhelming, disappointing return. Obviously most of his games were under the clueless Italian so gotta be given the benefit of the doubt but as much as I'm dubious of signing Downing on high wages he'd be a much better option in a playmaking advanced central midfield role than Gardner for me, better set pieces at the very least.
Tweet Topic

spionkop replying to I.P.F
21:17, Sunday 16 July 2017
He's one of those players who has never lived up to his potential and when the going gets tough disappears. Not for me.
Tweet Topic

bluemike replying to spionkop
21:28, Sunday 16 July 2017
stinger
He's one of those players who has never lived up to his potential and when the going gets tough disappears. Not for me.

Same for me.
Tweet Topic

Akita replying to JourneyOn
21:33, Sunday 16 July 2017
JourneyOn
Gardner has a lot to prove - very underwhelming, disappointing return. Obviously most of his games were under the clueless Italian so gotta be given the benefit of the doubt but as much as I'm dubious of signing Downing on high wages he'd be a much better option in a playmaking advanced central midfield role than Gardner for me, better set pieces at the very least.

I dont get it signing Gardner i really dont, he done pretty much feck all and was given a contract. His set pieces and free kicks was laughable! I would have told him to do one.
Tweet Topic

SteveCherry replying to I.P.F
21:38, Sunday 16 July 2017
They want his 3 million a year wages off the books?
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
Tweet Topic

JourneyOn replying to Akita
21:41, Sunday 16 July 2017
Akita
JourneyOn

I dont get it signing Gardner i really dont, he done pretty much feck all and was given a contract. His set pieces and free kicks was laughable! I would have told him to do one.

Agreed, its a shame we had to sign him but its a new season, new manager he deserves a fresh start, lets hope he proves us both wrong but yeah very disappointing return.
Tweet Topic
  • Handmade Turned Items
    Looking for a unique gift? Browse our website for handmade turned items.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertise your Small Business
    By becoming a SHA sponsor you can advertise your small business to thousands of Brummies for just pennies a day.
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »