This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: Classic songs you hate

DudleyBlue replying to Mad Blue
20:40, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Couldn't sing ? Are you having a giggle ? You may not like him but the fella could definitely sing
Tweet Topic

jeffwealands replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
20:43, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
Slightly Turbid
Not a song, but I can’t stand Pandas.

I suppose it's pop related, at least.

Very good
Tweet Topic

Blue are ya? replying to JCL
20:46, Wednesday 11 October 2017
JCL
Walk a thousand miles by the pretenders.

Makes me want to hit my head against the wall and their stupid over the top Scottish accents just really grates. Also the fact it seems to have to played every time there is anything to do fecking Scottish people.
Went to a wedding with a Scottish bloke. They were also complaining DJ's always put it on. Then he did and they all got up on the dance floor shouting their heads off.
Sweaty chunts.

Do you mean 'Walk 500 miles' by The Proclaimers?
Tweet Topic

mr_crosby replying to JCL
20:46, Wednesday 11 October 2017
JCL
Walk a thousand miles by the pretenders.

Makes me want to hit my head against the wall and their stupid over the top Scottish accents just really grates. Also the fact it seems to have to played every time there is anything to do fecking Scottish people.
Went to a wedding with a Scottish bloke. They were also complaining DJ's always put it on. Then he did and they all got up on the dance floor shouting their heads off.
Sweaty chunts.
It’s the proclaimers.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to alofthecov
20:50, Wednesday 11 October 2017
alofthecov
Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty. April 78.
Particularly bad time of my life, that song seemed to be played everywhere for weeks on end. Everytime i put the radio on, Baker Street would be playing first. Endless TOTP for weeks, car radio Baker bloody Street. Hate it.

Even now its played pretty regular on the radio. Soon as i hear that first blast of sax, radio goes off

Funny how it gets you. I was having a particularly good time, and was just turning 18, with a great new girlfriend (she dumped me in the end, the lesbian). I'd not long passed my test, and although I didn't have a car, I'd walk down after work to where a friend worked and sit in his car waiting for him, and then I'd drive home. I'd put the radio on and Baker Street, as you say, always appeared to be on.

If I remember rightly, Never Let Her Slip Away and What a Waste were another two that got masses of airplay at the same time. I love all of those songs till (loved Ian Dury) but Baker Street is one of my all time favourites. :D
You know what? I think I'd quite like to sit near Miguel.
Tweet Topic

johnnyspex replying to QBBC2
20:51, Wednesday 11 October 2017
The eagles - hotel California.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to DudleyBlue
20:52, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Another is Rod Stewart's 'Sailing'. Just boring, cynical, and mumsy. When you think of some of his early stuff, that was just appalling.
Tweet Topic

TonyEvansFacial Hair replying to Herefordshire Cider Boozer
20:53, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Herefordshire Cider Boozer
Bohemian rhapsody

This and any of the other 'classics' by Queen
Tweet Topic

newblue replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
20:58, Wednesday 11 October 2017
It’s a gruesome, smug, self-satisfied song, I agree Sinatra lays it on particularly thickly. The Sid Vicious version is ace though, totally upends it.

We are the Champions for the same reason. Awful sentiment, totally blousey in execution.

Stairway to Heaven - overblown, cliched, thinks it’s a hymn.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
21:01, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Anything or even everything by Billy Joel

The Piano one really makes me cringe as does 'We Didn't Start the Fire'

'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen is a huge wedding hit but I cannot stand it

Jagger and Bowie absolutely murdered 'Dancing In The Street'

Agree about Mull Of Kintyre .....I loved the Beatles but Macca really let himself down with that and the couple he did with Wacko Jacko .....absolute garbage .......Ringo Starr couldn't cuit it a s a solo artist either.......Photograph is another puke worthy effort and "Yellow Submaribe was the worse of all the major Beatles Number Ones

One of my favourite artists of all time is Stevie Wonder (an absolute genius performer and writer) ) but I didn't like 'Happy Birthday' ....it was actually a protest song when he campaigned for Dr Martin Luther King's birthday, January 15th, to be an official holiday but ended up the prime choice for birthday cakes and parties for the teens and little 'uns .....Stevie actually won the day but to this day it is not a holiday universally recognized in the USA ......Didn't get the hype about 'Sir Duke' either .....the one song I consider disappointing on an otherwise absolutely perfect album and one of the finest of the 70's .....'Songs In the Key Of Life'
Tweet Topic

Bluesince62 replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
21:04, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Walk of Life, Dire Straits. Cheesy, soulless, faux, rock 'n' roll-lite, dancing round the handbags, pap.
Feck yes.
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
Tweet Topic

Rab C Nesbitt replying to Bluesince62
21:06, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Bluesince62
Feck I hate that song also - with a tinge of guilt as they're Brummies but feck me...8-)
Yammers
I deliver to one of them. Guitarist I think, proper troubled bastard
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to QBBC2
21:11, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Bat Out Of Hell - actually, anything by Meatloaf, particularly that, Two Out Of Three Aint Bad, I Won't Do That, and many more. Not saying they're bad, because they're not - they're well-crafted, well-written and well-performed, but they grate like anything on me - ballads for bikers if you like, and the most indulgent sort of AOR soft rock bollocks.
Tweet Topic

Bluesince62 replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
21:12, Wednesday 11 October 2017
alofthecov
Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty. April 78.
Particularly bad time of my life, that song seemed to be played everywhere for weeks on end. Everytime i put the radio on, Baker Street would be playing first. Endless TOTP for weeks, car radio Baker bloody Street. Hate it.

Even now its played pretty regular on the radio. Soon as i hear that first blast of sax, radio goes off

Funny how it gets you. I was having a particularly good time, and was just turning 18, with a great new girlfriend (she dumped me in the end, the lesbian). I'd not long passed my test, and although I didn't have a car, I'd walk down after work to where a friend worked and sit in his car waiting for him, and then I'd drive home. I'd put the radio on and Baker Street, as you say, always appeared to be on.

If I remember rightly, Never Let Her Slip Away and What a Waste were another two that got masses of airplay at the same time. I love all of those songs till (loved Ian Dury) but Baker Street is one of my all time favourites. :D
Again, agree. Baker St a great song and what a waste a classic.
RIP to both singers. The great die young.
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
Tweet Topic

Novakdjokovic replying to Bluesince62
21:15, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Anything with Celine Dion
Tweet Topic

JCL replying to mr_crosby
21:26, Wednesday 11 October 2017
I hate them so much I'm glad I got the band and song wrong. That'll learn 'em
your mother's tacos taste like the tongue of a dead dog!
Tweet Topic

JCL replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
21:29, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Agree regarding any Meatloaf song. Although there is now a Meatloaf tribute advert showing on this message. Hope it is costing him money.
your mother's tacos taste like the tongue of a dead dog!
Tweet Topic

micktheknife replying to QBBC2
21:31, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Anything by Supertramp.
70's stadium pseudo-rock at its worst, trite lyrics and a horribly whiny vocal.
Regards, Mick
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to micktheknife
21:34, Wednesday 11 October 2017
micktheknife
Anything by Supertramp.
70's stadium pseudo-rock at its worst, trite lyrics and a horribly whiny vocal.

Absolutely.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to JCL
21:39, Wednesday 11 October 2017
I'm also going to go for Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc. Stereotypical, bandwagon-jumping, patronising, and, well... shit. If Queen had been a reggae band, they couldn't have done the middle bit any better. Or worse.

Luckily reggae, as a genre, was strong enough to recover from this assassination attempt.
Tweet Topic

micktheknife replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
21:44, Wednesday 11 October 2017

I'm also going to go for Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc. Stereotypical, bandwagon-jumping, patronising, and, well... shit. If Queen had been a reggae band, they couldn't have done the middle bit any better. Or worse.

Luckily reggae, as a genre, was strong enough to recover from this assassination attempt.
I can't even tarnish the genre of reggae with this sh*t.

Utter, utter crap.
Regards, Mick
Tweet Topic

QBBC2 replying to QBBC2
21:52, Wednesday 11 October 2017
The reason I asked this question is because I did a two part radio show on WM 20 years ago called Desperate Island Discs where I asked people the records they'd least like to be stranded on a desert island with. I had Jon from Neds on. He chose Joe Dolce's Shaddap You Face because it kept Vienna by Ultravox off the top spot, which, coincidentally, is one of the main reasons I like Shaddap You Face.
Tweet Topic

Micky Darrell replying to Novakdjokovic
21:58, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Novakdjokovic
Anything with Celine Dion

Anywhere where Linda Ronstadt
Tweet Topic

Kym replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
22:24, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Another is Rod Stewart's 'Sailing'. Just boring, cynical, and mumsy. When you think of some of his early stuff, that was just appalling.

thumbs up

I can't think of a single Rod Stewart song that I like. One of the worst evenings of my life was having to watch a Rod Stewart tribute act. It was so dire I feigned illness and went home.
Tweet Topic

Andy Saville replying to QBBC2
22:27, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Layla by Derek & The Dominoes.

The beginning and main part are alright but that bloody instrumental bit at the end goes on forever.

I also dislike The Doors in general.
Tweet Topic

Sir Heisenberg replying to JCL
22:33, Wednesday 11 October 2017
JCL
I hate them so much I'm glad I got the band and song wrong. That'll learn 'em
Bit unfair on Chrissie Hynde and her mates though.
Tweet Topic

Haircut1000 replying to QBBC2
22:35, Wednesday 11 October 2017
QBBC2
The reason I asked this question is because I did a two part radio show on WM 20 years ago called Desperate Island Discs where I asked people the records they'd least like to be stranded on a desert island with. I had Jon from Neds on. He chose Joe Dolce's Shaddap You Face because it kept Vienna by Ultravox off the top spot, which, coincidentally, is one of the main reasons I like Shaddap You Face.

What, so you're like famous?
Tweet Topic

Barking Poslethwaite replying to Andy Saville
22:42, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Golden Brown by the Stranglers is a trite, contrived little horror of a song.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
Tweet Topic

Inspector Montalbano replying to Haircut1000
22:45, Wednesday 11 October 2017
The final countdown / We built this City both inane 80's drivel, over played everywhere when they were released, I still change the channel every time they come on.
Tweet Topic

carlrichards replying to Andy Saville
22:47, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Manchap
Layla by Derek & The Dominoes.

The beginning and main part are alright but that bloody instrumental bit at the end goes on forever.

I also dislike The Doors in general.

Layla for exactly the same reason as above.

Freebird likewise (interminable guitar solo - shut the feck up )

Although I'm another Beach Boys non believer, I like God only Knows
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »