This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: Classic songs you hate

SteveCherry replying to QBBC2
22:48, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Vienna... a turgid dirge, badly mixed and about 4 minutes too long with overwrought vocals that has dated truly embarrassingly.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
Tweet Topic

Sir Heisenberg replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
22:49, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
I have a dislike for My Way, too - in particular Sinatra' version. I know it's heresy, but I can't stand Sinatra's voice. I always found his singing, and his phrasing, creepy, and I'd extend my dislike of his version of My Way to everything he did. *

* Apart from Something Stupid, with Nancy.
Funnily enough, my missus and I were sitting outside a cafe in Strasbourg this evening listening to a band play this very song, and she surprised me by revealing that it was written originally in French by a bloke called Claude Francois, who managed to electrocute himself by dropping his hairdryer in the bath 40 years ago. We were both students here at the time, but I don't think this was what provoked CF's unfortunate accident.

[m.youtube.com]
Tweet Topic

Made in Daegu replying to johnnyspex
22:59, Wednesday 11 October 2017
johnnyspex
The eagles - hotel California.

You beat me to it! It's dreary and makes me want to jump out of the nearest window
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
Tweet Topic

Barking Poslethwaite replying to Sir Heisenberg
23:00, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Have you ever heard it done in French? - even more excruciatingly schmaltzy.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Sir Heisenberg
Doctor Tam, you should be excommunicated for that comment Sinatra isn't even comparable to any 20th century singer.. he is a God of vocalists, just him & Presley ( Ellvis that is not Reg)
Kro
Tweet Topic

SteveCherry replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
That famous sax part was originally played on guitar. I can understand why any song might cheese someone off however, Baker Street is one of those rare moments of recording perfection, you wouldn't change anything even today and thankfully, it's virtually impossible to cover.
Tweet Topic

carlrichards replying to carlrichards
23:01, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Sussudio. It immediately brings to mind a much better song. And it features Phil Collins' vocal.

I know Phil Collins solo is an easy target, but. Horrible 80's drums mixed upfront. Soul music, with some decent horn charts, but horrible thin vocals, which is the reason I hate most white/blue eyed soul.
Tweet Topic

carlrichards replying to Made in Daegu
23:04, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Made in Daegu
johnnyspex
The eagles - hotel California.

You beat me to it! It's dreary and makes me want to jump out of the nearest window

White band try a reggaeish lilt. Please don't. Also see Sprit of Radio (Rush) Live & Let Die/C Moon (Wings) The Clash / Bad Brains are among the few who are exceptions to this.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to carlrichards
23:05, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Take that back Carl what about let's go round again by average white band!
Brilliant!
Tweet Topic

SteveCherry replying to Made in Daegu
23:05, Wednesday 11 October 2017
In a sense that's exactly what the song is meant to elicit as a response, it is about being trapped. There is a deep irony that, one of the biggest selling albums in US history is an outright attack on the "American Dream" and what it became.
Tweet Topic

SteveCherry replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
23:14, Wednesday 11 October 2017
I really don't like what I call "Hilda Baker" vocals.
Tweet Topic

Hank Marvin replying to QBBC2
23:41, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Good Times Bad Times , LZ.
Tweet Topic

carlrichards replying to Louie Donowa
23:55, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Louie Donowa
Imagine - John Lennon.

I love the Beatles, but this song is fecking awful in every way. The lyrics are shit and if Boyzone had releases the song it would rightly be derided as a load of dogs cock.

Also, on the same album are two brilliant songs (How Do You Sleep? And Gimme Some Truth) which are Lennon at his nasty, vindictive best...

Lennon's solo career was a quick slide into mediocrity.

Another stinker is All I wanna do is make love to you by Heart. Overwrought vocals, "I am a flower, you are the seed". something about a woman trying to get up the duff by a stranger coz her husband can't manage it.
Tweet Topic

Wingman Blue replying to DES
00:06, Thursday 12 October 2017
DES
Bohemian rhapsody!

This. It's pretentious, it's not Rock'n'Roll, it's like a modern day take on Gilbert and Sullivan.

I loathed it the first time I heard it and forty plus years later I still hate it. I honestly don't know why anyone likes it.

It's like alliteration and meaningless phrases jumbled together with a jaunty tune. Worse than Miss American Pie which at least starts off with a theme.

I suppose part of it is not knowing when to stop.
Tweet Topic

Hank Marvin replying to QBBC2
00:10, Thursday 12 October 2017
Anything by UB40, apart from the very early stuff.

Plastic reggae, and that voice is just friggin annoying.
Tweet Topic

Shirley Blue replying to QBBC2
00:12, Thursday 12 October 2017
Ain’t no sunshine...

Like the song up to the point that it goes “an I know I know I know I know” at which point it can feck off.
Tweet Topic

Bluto replying to QBBC2
00:21, Thursday 12 October 2017
Anything by The Smiths. I can't tell you the name of any of their so-called "classics" because I don't wish to remember the names of them. I haven't got a problem with the music behind the songs as such, and the guitarist can play a mean rhythm part, but as soon as that pretentious fanny Morrissey opens his mouth and tries to sing, which is more like a weird moaning noise, I feel like smashing the radio into pieces. Awful.
Tweet Topic

Andy Saville replying to carlrichards
00:26, Thursday 12 October 2017
carlrichards
Louie Donowa
Imagine - John Lennon.

I love the Beatles, but this song is fecking awful in every way. The lyrics are shit and if Boyzone had releases the song it would rightly be derided as a load of dogs cock.

Also, on the same album are two brilliant songs (How Do You Sleep? And Gimme Some Truth) which are Lennon at his nasty, vindictive best...

Lennon's solo career was a quick slide into mediocrity.

Another stinker is All I wanna do is make love to you by Heart. Overwrought vocals, "I am a flower, you are the seed". something about a woman trying to get up the duff by a stranger coz her husband can't manage it.

Proper 80s cheese. Love it! thumbs up
Tweet Topic

Andy Saville replying to Bluto
00:27, Thursday 12 October 2017
Bluto
Anything by The Smiths. I can't tell you the name of any of their so-called "classics" because I don't wish to remember the names of them. I haven't got a problem with the music behind the songs as such, and the guitarist can play a mean rhythm part, but as soon as that pretentious fanny Morrissey opens his mouth and tries to sing, which is more like a weird moaning noise, I feel like smashing the radio into pieces. Awful.

Here, here! I fecking hate The Smiths
Tweet Topic

foghorn leghorn replying to Andy Saville
07:05, Thursday 12 October 2017
Don McLean American pie.
The stupid gormless pic on the sleeve. His whiney and irritating voice, the length of the record. It just goes on and on. Most of all though, it's the banal attempts to decipher the lyrics and how he is lauded as some kind of musical genius.

Contrast that to The low spark of the high heeled boy, by Traffic. A work of genius and one of my faves.
Wo Shing Wo, off you go. La Camorra, benvenuto
Tweet Topic

Lumbertubs replying to QBBC2
07:11, Thursday 12 October 2017
My Generation by The Who

The way Daltrey stutters his way through the later verses really gets on my tits.
There's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
Tweet Topic

Hoof hearted? replying to Andy Saville
07:40, Thursday 12 October 2017
For pretentiousness we have to include all U2 and all Robbie Williams.
Tweet Topic

QBBC2 replying to foghorn leghorn
08:07, Thursday 12 October 2017
foghorn leghorn
Don McLean American pie.
The stupid gormless pic on the sleeve. His whiney and irritating voice, the length of the record. It just goes on and on. Most of all though, it's the banal attempts to decipher the lyrics and how he is lauded as some kind of musical genius.

Absofeckinglutely with you 100% on this.
Tweet Topic

Pearly Dewdrops replying to QBBC2
08:37, Thursday 12 October 2017
I’ve never ‘got’ Stairway to Heaven, Jimi Hendrix, Smoke on the Water or Whiskey in the Jar.

To answer the OP, they are all shit, IMHO, of course.

And shame on whomever mentioned Vienna. I would rant, but they are perfectly entitled to their opinion too, however wrong it may be. :D
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to DES
08:53, Thursday 12 October 2017
DES
Doctor Tam, you should be excommunicated for that comment Sinatra isn't even comparable to any 20th century singer.. he is a God of vocalists, just him & Presley ( Ellvis that is not Reg)
Kro

I'm not saying that he wasn't a good singer, Des. I'm saying that I didn't like his voice. I thought I should, so I bought a Greatest Hits CD a while ago. I couldn't listen to it - something about his phrasing in particular that just makes me feel a bit queasy.
You know what? I think I'd quite like to sit near Miguel.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to Kym
08:54, Thursday 12 October 2017
Kym
Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
Another is Rod Stewart's 'Sailing'. Just boring, cynical, and mumsy. When you think of some of his early stuff, that was just appalling.

thumbs up

I can't think of a single Rod Stewart song that I like. One of the worst evenings of my life was having to watch a Rod Stewart tribute act. It was so dire I feigned illness and went home.

If you'd have stayed a bit longer, Kym, you might not have had to feign it.
Tweet Topic

B.A - Jota is sex replying to QBBC2
08:56, Thursday 12 October 2017
Anything by Queen - overrated boring, over dramatic rubbish
Anything by the Beatles, terrible music that hurts my ears. Dull and cheesy
Even Gabby, the premier league's first disabled footballer, doesn't want to play for you any more.
Tweet Topic

B_C_F_C replying to B.A - Jota is sex
08:59, Thursday 12 October 2017
B.A - Jota is sex
Anything by the Beetles, terrible music that hurts my ears. Dull and cheesy

Don't know this group... what was their music like?
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
09:09, Thursday 12 October 2017
Tam, most afficiandos say it's his phrasing that is so special!
I'm not a fan of the so called AMERICAN SONGBOOK... but Francis Alberto truely is the noblest roman of the lot!
Kro
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to DES
09:17, Thursday 12 October 2017
DES
Tam, most afficiandos say it's his phrasing that is so special!
I'm not a fan of the so called AMERICAN SONGBOOK... but Francis Alberto truely is the noblest roman of the lot!
Kro

They do indeed, Des, but it's not for me. I find it cheesy and sickly. Each to their own. I see a couple of posts about The Beatles being overrated and dull, and (to me) nothing could be further from the truth, although I didn't like everything that they did, but musical beauty is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak.

Dean Martin, I liked a lot. Tony Bennett, I can't listen to. All a matter of personal preference. thumbs down
Tweet Topic
  • Handmade Turned Items
    Looking for a unique gift? Browse our website for handmade turned items.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertise your Small Business
    By becoming a SHA sponsor you can advertise your small business to thousands of Brummies for just pennies a day.
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »