This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: Classic songs you hate

miamivice79ish replying to QBBC2
09:17, Thursday 12 October 2017
House of Pain - Jump around - chav anthem
Tweet Topic

Tall replying to Bluto
09:45, Thursday 12 October 2017
That's how I see the Smiths. Very good band ruined by a poor singer and shockingly bad lyrics
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. Just as long as you've got chickens.
Tweet Topic

Tall replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
09:47, Thursday 12 October 2017
I don't like his voice. Always thought the other members of the Rat Pack were far superior vocalists
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. Just as long as you've got chickens.
Tweet Topic

fingles replying to QBBC2
12:11, Thursday 12 October 2017
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They say I got brains but they ain't doin' me much good.
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to Louie Donowa
12:29, Thursday 12 October 2017
Louie Donowa
Imagine - John Lennon.

I love the Beatles, but this song is fecking awful in every way. The lyrics are shit and if Boyzone had releases the song it would rightly be derided as a load of dogs cock.

Also, on the same album are two brilliant songs (How Do You Sleep? And Gimme Some Truth) which are Lennon at his nasty, vindictive best...

That would be my choice and for the same reasons. Loved The Beatles, think Lennon was often brilliant, can't stand Imagine.
Tweet Topic

CJ replying to Mad Blue
12:41, Thursday 12 October 2017
Fairy Tale of New York - my god is that bad, hate it with a passion & you just know it will be played relentlessly in the next month or 2. Though no real reason to hate it apart from its dire I have to list it. Also anything by the Smiths.
Tweet Topic

fradge replying to CJ
12:52, Thursday 12 October 2017
The Smiths-haters.

You are wrong.

In this period, Morissey was untouchable.

The vocals went perfectly with the rest of it.
Tweet Topic

WorcsBlues replying to QBBC2
13:39, Thursday 12 October 2017
Anything & I mean anything by Bruce 'da boss' Springsteen, over hyped, faux Yank pap, one particular nauseating example is the horror show entitled 'Born in the USA' one of those 'made for TV, film, soundtrack type ditties' that makes me want to projectile vomit every time the opening chords are heard, with images of the gormless natives blubbering & looking to the heavens for whatever & the image of their rag of a flag fluttering in the breeze leading to one of the worst endings of a song - EVER.

Utter pish ......
Tweet Topic

micktheknife replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
13:41, Thursday 12 October 2017

DES
Tam, most afficiandos say it's his phrasing that is so special!
I'm not a fan of the so called AMERICAN SONGBOOK... but Francis Alberto truely is the noblest roman of the lot!
Kro

They do indeed, Des, but it's not for me. I find it cheesy and sickly. Each to their own. I see a couple of posts about The Beatles being overrated and dull, and (to me) nothing could be further from the truth, although I didn't like everything that they did, but musical beauty is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak.

Dean Martin, I liked a lot. Tony Bennett, I can't listen to. All a matter of personal preference. thumbs down
I always felt Deano was the real deal, preferred his vocals to Franks, but over both I would take Matt Monro. People rave about Faranks phrasing, but Matt was the guy HE listened to.
Regards, Mick
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to micktheknife
13:58, Thursday 12 October 2017
I'm a Frank fan, and I think the thing that elevates him (for some people, its personal taste at the end of the day) is that he sounds as if he has lived the song he is singing. When you patch in his life and experiences alongside some of the songs he covered, I think its has a strong element of truth in there.

I know that he adored Crosby for example, as well as others from that big band era, but even though someone like Tony Bennett has a good argument to say he was better, I'd still rather listen to Frank.

The only singer Frank ever thought was better than himself was Billie Holliday.

Millions love Elvis but he leaves me cold, but I can appreciate the talent.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to number8
14:44, Thursday 12 October 2017
Good thread this, and it's great that almost everyone has backed it up with they they don't like something (or do, as the case may be). I can appreciate why people like Sinatra, but sometimes stuff grabs you, and sometimes it doesn't. Elvis, for me, was the singer that had the voice, but also the looks, the energy, the charisma (it's a curse to live with, I tells ya' :D ) and I can never quite get why anyone wouldn't like him, but I suppose Sinatra fans would say the same.

It's a personal thing, and that's great and musical taste can't be knocked. *

* Apart from Phil Collins fans. :P
You know what? I think I'd quite like to sit near Miguel.
Tweet Topic

newblue replying to WorcsBlues
14:49, Thursday 12 October 2017
I’m not a massive fan of the boss, but I can say ‘Born in the USA’ is the opposite of what you think it to mean.
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
14:55, Thursday 12 October 2017
Agreed (especially the Phil Collins bit).

If you've never seen the only time Frank & Elvis were singing together, youtube it. Its interesting - in one way you can almost see a baton being passed and whilst there is a respect, you just know they are both supremely confident in what they do and its a pragmatic meeting rather than something they both wanted.
Thongs
Tweet Topic

15:04, Thursday 12 October 2017
Great video, thanks. The tempo played into Frank's hands there, and he looked more comfortable, but what an experience it must have been watching those two perform together. Charisma overload!
Tweet Topic

15:44, Thursday 12 October 2017
It was Franks show, so he got the say! Elvis had only just come out the army, Franks show wasn't doing so great so he almost had to have him on. Both benefited though.

I'm not a nostalgic person really, but that particular period in US life as regards "showbiz" is quite amazing and interesting - the vast changes brought about by not just rock and roll but "teenage" life, Kennedy, Luthor King, the fact stars were always out in clubs and bars with many "regular" people, the interviews they gave all the time, often at god knows what hour in a bar after a load of booze, the number of shows people would do a year, the ease of movement between TV, movies, singing etc...it was just so open for quite a long time before people started closing ranks.
Thongs
Tweet Topic

Roj replying to micktheknife
15:49, Thursday 12 October 2017
Matt Monroe should've stuck to his milk round. Sinatra, no thanks; too much ego for the limited amount of talent. My Way is dreadful except by The Sex Pistols.

If they had recorded anything that could be considered a classic then I would say The Lighthouse Family's playlist in total, but they haven't, so that awful singing is disqualified.

10 CC have been mentioned before so I can add "I'm Not in Love", which despite the fact that I recently saw a TV item explaining the merits of this song I still find almost impossible to listen to.
Tweet Topic

15:50, Thursday 12 October 2017
I'm pretty nostalgic, so love all of that stuff - going back to a few years before that, I've been watching a documentary on Fats Domino - 'The Big Beat'. A great watch, and what a great performer. It's interesting as well, as it makes a few references to social aspects, particularly integration, as you can imagine. If that's your thing (and the whole jump/blues/boogie thing is mine) I recommend it.
Tweet Topic

Haircut1000 replying to WorcsBlues
15:51, Thursday 12 October 2017
WorcsBlues
Anything & I mean anything by Bruce 'da boss' Springsteen, over hyped, faux Yank pap, one particular nauseating example is the horror show entitled 'Born in the USA' one of those 'made for TV, film, soundtrack type ditties' that makes me want to projectile vomit every time the opening chords are heard, with images of the gormless natives blubbering & looking to the heavens for whatever & the image of their rag of a flag fluttering in the breeze leading to one of the worst endings of a song - EVER.

Utter pish ......

Yeah but wasn't it meant to be a parody?
Tweet Topic

15:54, Thursday 12 October 2017
Cheers!
Thongs
Tweet Topic

fingles replying to QBBC2
17:53, Thursday 12 October 2017
That Hey Ho Silver Lining thing.Hate it.
Tweet Topic

Pot Noodle replying to QBBC2
17:59, Thursday 12 October 2017
Billy Joel We didn't start fire load of bollicks
I didn't realise Mugabee was from Yorkshire until I read his name backwards
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Lumbertubs
18:56, Thursday 12 October 2017
Lumbertubs
My Generation by The Who

The way Daltrey stutters his way through the later verses really gets on my tits.

The stuttering was deliberate

The Who were one of the greatest UK bands of all time and Townsend is a brilliant song writer

The superb and mind boggling bass riffs by Entwistle on 'Generation' are still lauded to this day

A band like The Smiths are nowhere near the same league as The Who

I'm likely to be in the minority but I always found Pink Floyds 'Dark Side Of The Moon' to be a tad disappointing , there was so much hype at the time of release ......I don't know why 'Stairway To Heaven' gets attacked so much, there are other LZ tracks I'm not a big fan of but their music was legendary and Stairway was a ground breaking anthem of the 70's ......Lez Zeppelin were the true originators and masters of 'metal' ......But I tend to give LZ the more credible honour of being one of the UK's greatest ever pure rock and roll groups.....along with Bad Co

Australia's AC/DC carry the mantle down under
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to The Hurricane
19:02, Thursday 12 October 2017
The Hurricane
Lumbertubs
My Generation by The Who

The way Daltrey stutters his way through the later verses really gets on my tits.

Get away. :D
Tweet Topic

turley replying to Haircut1000
19:03, Thursday 12 October 2017
Haircut1000
WorcsBlues

Utter pish ......

Yeah but wasn't it meant to be a parody?

Well said Haircut....jaysus.....talk about ill informed....of course the song is a critical parody of USA. I’m almost lost for words with the ignorance displayed here. How can someone hate a song they don’t even understand.
Tweet Topic

Scarface replying to turley
19:18, Thursday 12 October 2017
Anything with Annie Lennox leading vocals because I hate the sound and tone of her voice in every track I’ve ever heard.
Tweet Topic

northfield replying to QBBC2
20:22, Thursday 12 October 2017
QBBC2
You know they're classics and they're not shit but still, you can't stand them. I wanna know why you don't like them. "Cos they're shit, innit" is not a reason.

I'll start with God Only Knows by The Beach Boys. I don't like their harmonies anyway but the component parts of this particular song all grate on my nerves, especially the "bah pah bap ba baaah" bit and the God Only Knows refrain repeated ad nauseum at the end.

No video links without a description. Ta

Every oasis song ever made
Tweet Topic

Maxine Collins replying to QBBC2
20:33, Thursday 12 October 2017
Feckin Love Shack by the B52s

People pretending to surf when they're dancin - pathetic
Tweet Topic

Mad Blue replying to The Hurricane
21:06, Thursday 12 October 2017
The Hurricane
Lumbertubs
My Generation by The Who

The Who were one of the greatest UK bands of all time and Townsend is a brilliant song writer

The superb and mind boggling bass riffs by Entwistle on 'Generation' are still lauded to this day

A band like The Smiths are nowhere near the same league as The Who

I'm likely to be in the minority but I always found Pink Floyds 'Dark Side Of The Moon' to be a tad disappointing , there was so much hype at the time of release ......I don't know why 'Stairway To Heaven' gets attacked so much, there are other LZ tracks I'm not a big fan of but their music was legendary and Stairway was a ground breaking anthem of the 70's ......Lez Zeppelin were the true originators and masters of 'metal' ......But I tend to give LZ the more credible honour of being one of the UK's greatest ever pure rock and roll groups.....along with Bad Co

Australia's AC/DC carry the mantle down under

The Who were the best live band I have ever seen.
The truth is like Poetry but no one likes Poetry.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to northfield
21:24, Thursday 12 October 2017
Qb,
God only knows how you can dislike that!
WhilevOasis just legendary providers of anthems!
Kro
Tweet Topic

fingles replying to Made in Daegu
21:32, Thursday 12 October 2017
Yes,it's no God Only Knows.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »