This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: Classic songs you hate

QBBC2 replying to The Hurricane
23:07, Thursday 12 October 2017
The Hurricane

The superb and mind boggling bass riffs by Entwistle on 'Generation' are still lauded to this day

I went to audition as a singer for a band some years ago in Birmingham. They were also auditioning a guitarist at the same time. The remit was British rock with songs by the Beatles, Stones, The Who, The Jam and Oasis. Not really my bag but I went anyway. The bass player was the band leader and regaled us with stories of how great he was and how he'd played on stage with Bruce Dickinson out in Sarajevo. We did a couple of songs and I twigged that the drummer was decent but the bass player was nowhere near as good as he thought he was.

He then asked if we knew My Generation and we launched in to it. When it came to the bass solo he played a flurry of notes that were feck all like Entwistle's solo - very much an Andre Preview "all the right notes not necessarily in the right order" kind of thing. The guitarist stopped playing and said, "er... it doesn't go like that mate" to which the bass player snorted and said, "I think you'll find it does!" We went again, from the top, and the same thing happened only this time it was even worse. Again we stopped and the guitarist told him it wasn't right and it really needed to be as it was one of the most iconic bass riffs in rock history. The bassist got quite prickly and said, very matter of factly, "I think you'll find it was cock on!"

It was at this point that both myself and the guitarist packed up and fecked off.

The one thing I did get out of it though is now the phrase "I think you'll find I was cock on" is the go to phrase when any band member makes a balls up.
Tweet Topic

Wingman Blue replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
00:17, Friday 13 October 2017
Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
alofthecov
Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty. April 78.
Particularly bad time of my life, that song seemed to be played everywhere for weeks on end. Everytime i put the radio on, Baker Street would be playing first. Endless TOTP for weeks, car radio Baker bloody Street. Hate it.

Even now its played pretty regular on the radio. Soon as i hear that first blast of sax, radio goes off

Funny how it gets you. I was having a particularly good time, and was just turning 18, with a great new girlfriend (she dumped me in the end, the lesbian). I'd not long passed my test, and although I didn't have a car, I'd walk down after work to where a friend worked and sit in his car waiting for him, and then I'd drive home. I'd put the radio on and Baker Street, as you say, always appeared to be on.

If I remember rightly, Never Let Her Slip Away and What a Waste were another two that got masses of airplay at the same time. I love all of those songs till (loved Ian Dury) but Baker Street is one of my all time favourites. :D

Recorded in Chipping Norton.
Tweet Topic

Falstaff replying to QBBC2
00:24, Friday 13 October 2017
Anything by Stevie Wonder, but particularly I Just Called.
Tweet Topic

SteveCherry replying to Pearly Dewdrops
04:42, Friday 13 October 2017
The Midi bass part to Vienna is chronically out of the pocket in terms of the groove, that's relying on Midi and not being able to actually play a synth for you. The Bass also actually virtually sod all bass in it , they didn't know how to mix that and the bass drum which was electronic, an elementary mixing mistake. The opening line is pitched flat and it doesn't improve much and feck knows why they decided to pan the voice to the right on the second verse and chorus. The piano sounds like a 10 bob sample. The way it limps into the instrumental passage is just cringe worthy however, apart from that, Vienna is okay.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
Tweet Topic

Pearly Dewdrops replying to SteveCherry
06:15, Friday 13 October 2017
SteveCherry
The Midi bass part to Vienna is chronically out of the pocket in terms of the groove, that's relying on Midi and not being able to actually play a synth for you. The Bass also actually virtually sod all bass in it , they didn't know how to mix that and the bass drum which was electronic, an elementary mixing mistake. The opening line is pitched flat and it doesn't improve much and feck knows why they decided to pan the voice to the right on the second verse and chorus. The piano sounds like a 10 bob sample. The way it limps into the instrumental passage is just cringe worthy however, apart from that, Vienna is okay.

When you put it like that.......:D
Tweet Topic

Hoof hearted? replying to SteveCherry
08:41, Friday 13 October 2017
SteveCherry

This means nothing to me.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Hoof hearted?
09:23, Friday 13 October 2017
steve
you should be a music reviewer, but sadly no one would have a clue what you were talking about!
KRO
Tweet Topic

Skitters replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
09:45, Friday 13 October 2017
'I Will Always Love You' - Whitney Houston. She absolutely tortured that song to death, turning a decent tune into an wailing exercise in vocal gymnastics. I won't post a link, because I don't want to inflict it on anyone again.

unfortunately Houston seemed to establish warbling as a singing technique plaguing us with the likes of Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera.

I don't set out to watch things like X factor but when I have seen bits female vocalist as often as not seem to think warbling is the way to go.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to DES
10:30, Friday 13 October 2017
DES
steve
you should be a music reviewer, but sadly no one would have a clue what you were talking about!
KRO

Same with football, tbf. ;)
You know what? I think I'd quite like to sit near Miguel.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to Skitters
10:31, Friday 13 October 2017
Skitters
'I Will Always Love You' - Whitney Houston. She absolutely tortured that song to death, turning a decent tune into an wailing exercise in vocal gymnastics. I won't post a link, because I don't want to inflict it on anyone again.

unfortunately Houston seemed to establish warbling as a singing technique plaguing us with the likes of Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera.

I don't set out to watch things like X factor but when I have seen bits female vocalist as often as not seem to think warbling is the way to go.

I agree, Skitters. An unfortunate byproduct and legacy.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
20:56, Sunday 15 October 2017
House of the rising son! Have to turn it off as soon as I recognise the intro.
Peter sarsted, where did you go to my lovely( not sure of title) that always gets turned off, and in the year 2525 one hit number one by Zager and EVANS..
Kro
Tweet Topic

QBBC2 replying to Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist
21:26, Sunday 15 October 2017
It passes for technique but often it really is quite the opposite. It's easier to warble and vary pitch than it is to hold a long, clean note, the master of which was some fella called Sinatra ;)

You may not like his voice but the way he used it, and the time and effort he put into his technique, has to be admired. He was innovative while others were derivative.
Tweet Topic

Dr Tam, Genius Zillionaire and Fantasist replying to QBBC2
21:30, Sunday 15 October 2017
QBBC2
It passes for technique but often it really is quite the opposite. It's easier to warble and vary pitch than it is to hold a long, clean note, the master of which was some fella called Sinatra ;)

You may not like his voice but the way he used it, and the time and effort he put into his technique, has to be admired. He was innovative while others were derivative.

Yes, fair point. On the basis of the stopped clock being right twice a day, a warble means you've gotta hit that note now and again. :D
Tweet Topic

21:41, Sunday 15 October 2017
I saw a bit of the X-Factor a week or so ago. As usual there was some young girl giving it the full Whitney and getting praised to the heavens. Next up was a young girl who hit and held the notes perfectly - a genuinely talented singer with superb technique. Guess who the 'judges' preferred...?

It's like praising someone for managing to hit the bullseye once in every ten shots with a blunderbuss but ignoring the person who hits it every single time, and from any angle, with a throwing star.
Tweet Topic

21:50, Sunday 15 October 2017
There's also a vid doing the rounds again of Lalah Hathaway singing a chord and people freaking out and saying how amazing it is etc. Karl Denver was doing it 50 odd years ago.
Tweet Topic

21:51, Sunday 15 October 2017
Like guitar playing (thankfully) it doesn't have to be a gymnastics exercise. It's about the notes, of course, but it's about the soul and feel. I watched a great Fats Domino documentary a few days ago, and listened to a live version of Blueberry Hill. Relatively simple, but the way he did it was that soulful, it was wonderful.

I can't find the clip - I can find plenty of the Ed Sullivan Show recording, but not the one that I'm thinking of.
Tweet Topic

21:54, Sunday 15 October 2017
Was the doc called Fats Domino and the Birth of Rock & Roll?

Love a bit of Fats. He invented Ska music too thumbs up
Tweet Topic

21:57, Sunday 15 October 2017
QBBC2
Was the doc called Fats Domino and the Birth of Rock & Roll?

Love a bit of Fats. He invented Ska music too thumbs up

Yep - The Big Beat, I think, was the title, but the sub heading was that. Or something like that - I watched it late at night and it took me a week to watch it, because I kept falling asleep. No reflection on Antoine Jr.
Tweet Topic

22:00, Sunday 15 October 2017
I've seen an ad for it but not the actual doc. I'm downloading it right now! thumbs up
Tweet Topic

22:03, Sunday 15 October 2017
You'll enjoy it. I had a bit of trouble understanding what some of the old guys were saying, but really interesting. The other thing I noticed - what a fantastic smile he had. I think it was during Blueberry Hill, I had to rewind it several times just to look at that smile - it made me smile, which is bleedin' unusual. ;)
Tweet Topic

22:06, Sunday 15 October 2017
One thing that always struck me about him though, for a fat bloke he didn't half write a lot of songs about walking!
Tweet Topic

22:09, Sunday 15 October 2017
QBBC2
One thing that always struck me about him though, for a fat bloke he didn't half write a lot of songs about walking!

:D
Tweet Topic

carlrichards replying to Pot Noodle
23:06, Sunday 15 October 2017
Pot Noodle
Billy Joel We didn't start fire load of bollicks

Good call. Joel = Wings McCartney
Tweet Topic

carlrichards replying to DES
23:09, Sunday 15 October 2017
DES
House of the rising son! Have to turn it off as soon as I recognise the intro.
Peter sarstedt, where did you go to my lovely( not sure of title) that always gets turned off, and in the year 2525 one hit number one by Zager and EVANS..
Kro

It goes into (Radio) Room 101, at 1 minute in

[www.youtube.com]
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »