This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Birmingham Marathon

DG
11:56, Thursday 12 October 2017
Anyone doing it on Sunday?
Tweet Topic

Re: Birmingham Marathon

Hernan Cortés replying to DG
12:08, Thursday 12 October 2017
I am! First marathon for me (and probably last), hoping for anything under four hours really.
Tweet Topic

DG replying to Hernan Cortés
12:17, Thursday 12 October 2017
My first one as well! Are you in red or blue wave? Under 4 hours is mental though! I was aiming for 4-4:30 but picked up an injury so looking more like 4:30-5 now.
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to DG
12:19, Thursday 12 October 2017
I'm doing it. Blue wave. No chance of beating my PB so I'll settle for 4.30 I think I'll follow the 4.30 duracell bunny for a while and see how it goes
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
Tweet Topic

Holdsworth_MaraSonner replying to Hernan Cortés
12:21, Thursday 12 October 2017
I'm doing it. Good luck everybody.
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to Holdsworth_MaraSonner
12:32, Thursday 12 October 2017
Sub 3?
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
Tweet Topic

Artist replying to A_n_E
12:33, Thursday 12 October 2017
A_n_E
I'm doing it. Blue wave. No chance of beating my PB so I'll settle for 4.30 I think I'll follow the 4.30 duracell bunny for a while and see how it goes

If i did it,it would be 4.30 for me too....4.30pm.
Tweet Topic

Bears replying to A_n_E
12:40, Thursday 12 October 2017
First one for me also. I'm on the early wave, whichever colour that is.

I was aiming for 3 hours; I know I wouldn't be anywhere near but a good target I thought. I've hurt my knee, however, so I haven't been able to train for the past few weeks. It's still hurting now which is causing me great concern.

Good luck to all taking part, and the half.

I shall be getting incredibly pissed afterwards.
No future.....
Tweet Topic

tiltontrev replying to Artist
12:41, Thursday 12 October 2017
I can't help but feel as though it's been cobbled together a little bit, a city the size of ours, with the various landmarks around, having a significant section of the race as a two lap loop seems really short sighted. I gather it's due to road closures but surely if they can organise a 100 mile bike ride then they could come up with a 26 mile course?

I've done the HM many times but with it being moved to accommodate the full marathon this year I've given it a miss, starting a 1/2pm is no good to me, I like to be back in the pub by then!!! :D

That said, good luck to all involved, any marathon is a massive achievement regardless of time.
Tweet Topic

Holdsworth_MaraSonner replying to A_n_E
12:42, Thursday 12 October 2017
I've got a rib injury mate so if the pain eases then maybe, if not then I'll just aim to get to the end.
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to tiltontrev
12:52, Thursday 12 October 2017
yeah im not keen on the loop aspect, i hate loop marathons but they are quite common.
Tweet Topic

12:53, Thursday 12 October 2017
thumbs up you've done really well to keep up the training with a little one at home too.
Tweet Topic

Holdsworth_MaraSonner replying to A_n_E
12:55, Thursday 12 October 2017
A_n_E
yeah im not keen on the loop aspect, i hate loop marathons but they are quite common.

I also think there's a design flaw. I'm fairly certain that the slower wave 1 runners, on second loop, are going to end up running into the back of the wave 1 runners on their first loop. Could be chaotic.
Tweet Topic

DG replying to tiltontrev
12:58, Thursday 12 October 2017
Yeah, I think one lap of the loop is 8ish miles, so 16 miles of the course is the same. Pretty uninspiring and won't do much to keep the motivation and enjoyment up.
Tweet Topic

12:59, Thursday 12 October 2017
is the red wave a slower wave then??? i figured it must be the quicker one to get the elite people clear and out of the way.
Tweet Topic

DG replying to A_n_E
13:01, Thursday 12 October 2017
Red wave is supposedly the quicker wave judging by the Duracell pace setters in that wave. Unlike the HM they didn't ask which wave I wanted to be in.. Wonder if some slower runners have been placed in the red wave as it could all get a bit mad on the loop.
Tweet Topic

Hernan Cortés replying to DG
13:06, Thursday 12 October 2017
DG
My first one as well! Are you in red or blue wave? Under 4 hours is mental though! I was aiming for 4-4:30 but picked up an injury so looking more like 4:30-5 now.

I'm in the blue wave, the half 9 start. I think the duracell pacer starts at 3:45 on that one so I guess I'll head to near the front! I've worked my way up to 22 miles so anything after that is an unknown quantity. Just excited to start now.
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to DG
13:18, Thursday 12 October 2017
i've never been asked a wave befroe but you were asked an approx finishing time werent you?
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to Hernan Cortés
13:18, Thursday 12 October 2017
22 miles is fine, after 22 it's a breeze for me it's 16-19 that are the wall / downtime miles
Tweet Topic

Bluewurst replying to A_n_E
13:24, Thursday 12 October 2017
A_n_E
Sub 3?

If he had a quid for every time he has been asked that :D
@Bluewurst1875
Tweet Topic

DG replying to A_n_E
13:30, Thursday 12 October 2017
Ah fair point actually.. It was my mate who I'm running with who sorted our entries out so I'm talking absolute rubbish!
Tweet Topic

Made in Daegu replying to DG
20:03, Thursday 12 October 2017
I'm running it! Not sure of what finish time is realistic, but half marathon PB is 1:19.07, so under 3 hours 30 is hope...

Good luck everyone!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
Tweet Topic

Holdsworth_MaraSonner replying to Made in Daegu
20:50, Thursday 12 October 2017
Made in Daegu
I'm running it! Not sure of what finish time is realistic, but half marathon PB is 1:19.07, so under 3 hours 30 is hope...

Good luck everyone!

With a 1.19 half you should be comfortably inside 3 hours.
Tweet Topic

Mad Blue replying to DG
20:53, Thursday 12 October 2017
I did a marathon once and I firmly believe once is enough.
The truth is like Poetry but no one likes Poetry.
Tweet Topic

Bluesince62 replying to Mad Blue
21:11, Thursday 12 October 2017
Well done to any that complete it. A 24 mile MTB ride is tough enough but running it gets my complete respect. thumbs up
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
Tweet Topic

Made in Daegu replying to Holdsworth_MaraSonner
21:33, Thursday 12 October 2017
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Made in Daegu

Good luck everyone!

With a 1.19 half you should be comfortably inside 3 hours.

In theory, perhaps....obviously I'd love to run it closer to 3!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to Made in Daegu
22:03, Thursday 12 October 2017
You'll blitz it mate
Tweet Topic

Mrs P replying to A_n_E
09:13, Friday 13 October 2017
My boss is doing the full marathon (first timer) and other colleagues are doing the half for St Mary's Hospice. I am nervous for him and for the others because of the 20-21 degrees forecast for Sunday afternoon :/ But I will mostly have my fingers crossed that the organisers have got the course right. It looks.....compact. Good luck to you all!
Tweet Topic

Chris replying to DG
09:49, Friday 13 October 2017
You're all fecking nutters. Good luck, all.
Tweet Topic

Made in Daegu replying to DG
16:27, Sunday 15 October 2017
How did everyone get on? I ran it in 2:58:10, a time with which I was delighted
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »