This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: Big name teams not in the world cup

Le Mod replying to John_Smullen
11:02, Tuesday 14 November 2017
I reckon Honduras will score in Oz and go through
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

notts_blue replying to Le Mod
11:41, Tuesday 14 November 2017
Le Mod
I don't see the problem to be honest, Italy were given ample opportunity to qualify and didn't.

Saudi Arabia have the same right to be there, and it's evidently not that easy to qualify or else they'd have qualified for 2010 and 2014.

It's the World Cup and Europe are represented more than fairly, representing almost half of all the teams involved.

It's not the same, and they don't have the same right. I appreciate there are logistical difficulties being the reason we have regional qualifiers, but to let shit teams in the world cup at the expense of teams who could actually win it (and have won it in the past, or got to the final) is just ridiculous.

It's supposed to be the pinnacle of football competition. Saudi Arabia beat Iraq, Thailand and the UAE to qualify. Italy lost one game in their qualifiers, against Spain. How is that fair? Holland were in a group with three other teams who all have a decent record in getting to world cups.

They may as well just draw six names out of a hat and be done with it.

It's a farce, and I hope Saudi Arabia get fecking mullered in all their matches.

Farce.

They (FIFA) should stop fecking around with the qualifiers, let the top 24 teams in the world qualify and open it up to the other teams to play for the last 8 spots.
CheswickBlue on Magna
"You are a liar"
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to notts_blue
11:44, Tuesday 14 November 2017
I understand what you are saying and there was probably a time where i'd have agreed, I do agree with some of what you have said.

Ultimately, the World Cup is the best of Europe vs the best of Asia, vs the best of South America etc etc

Italy did not qualify as one of the best of Europe.

The anger should be aimed at the rankings system which can be manipulated and land Italy in a qualifying group with Spain, they are currently the 10th best team in Europe according to the rankings, only 8 are seeded in qualification, therefore they are not recognised as one of the best nations whether we consider them to be or not.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Oldham replying to Le Mod
11:56, Tuesday 14 November 2017
It's supposed to be a world cup.

It'd be shite beyond words if it was just the European championship plus 5 others.
Tweet Topic

notts_blue replying to Le Mod
11:59, Tuesday 14 November 2017
but that's not the 'World' cup - thats the International Football Association Challenge Trophy.

It's like the FA cup, it's the pinnacle of cup trophies, because everyone gets put in it. The top teams come in later on, but you don't get this bollocks where "London" only get to put three teams in, so have a bollocks mini league play off between Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Milwall, Fulham etc etc, whilst Exeter and Plymouth get in every time? Or, because of a single draw, Man City and Man Utd have to play each other to see who gets in to the knockout stages?

If you take a team like, Panama for instance. Never played before in the world cup. Players, fans and staff are absolutely delighted to be playing in their first ever world cup, looking forward to their games, the chance to show themselves off to the world.

Except, because of some of the shit teams that have qualified, their World Cup group consists of

Senegal
Croatia and
Poland

:(

Oldham
It's supposed to be a world cup.

It'd be shite beyond words if it was just the European championship plus 5 others.

It doesn't matter who it is or where they are from, I'm not saying it should be all the european teams, I'm saying it should be the best teams in the world, and the best players. The pinnacle of football.

A World Cup without Italy is no world cup.
CheswickBlue on Magna
"You are a liar"
Tweet Topic

Oldham replying to notts_blue
12:06, Tuesday 14 November 2017
But that proves that there are better teams than Italy, by the process. The best team will still win...
Tweet Topic

European Bob replying to Oldham
12:31, Tuesday 14 November 2017
I think they've got the balance about right to be honest. It would be shite if there were 3 European teams in a group so 13/14 seems about right.

As someone else said, the anger should be at the FIFA rankings which allowed teams like Wales and Romania to manipulate them and become top seeded qualifying rather than the likes of Italy and France. The UEFA rankings used for Euro qualifying/final tournament/Nations Lague only use competitive games and are a lot more realistic but FIFA make UEFA use their rankings for WC qualifying - [www.footballseeding.com]

Having said that, I think any major nation only has themselves to blame for not qualifying. Regardless of whether "they always get it together at tournaments" Italy have scored 3 goals in their last 6 games which have included Macedonia, Israel, Albania, and Sweden twice which evidently isn't good enough to qualify for the world cup.
Tweet Topic

Partisan Blues Fan replying to European Bob
16:21, Tuesday 14 November 2017
European Bob
Italy have scored 3 goals in their last 6 games which have included Macedonia, Israel, Albania, and Sweden twice which evidently isn't good enough to qualify for the world cup.

This is the reason that they dont deserve to be there...3 goals from 6 is shocking form considering the opposition (no disrespect to the other teams). They were just not good enough
Tweet Topic

newblue replying to Partisan Blues Fan
16:28, Tuesday 14 November 2017
It’s a poor Italian team in terms of Italian teams, but their group included Spain and the Netherlands. Bit harder than Slovakia and Slovenia. They lost to a flukey deflected goal and in the first half were all over the Swedes. Saw a fair bit of the two games and don’t remember the Swedes creating too much. IIn most instances they would have put them away but just didn’t quite happen. A bit unlucky but that’s the game.
Tweet Topic

DB replying to newblue
17:49, Tuesday 14 November 2017
I say ban Saudi Arabia on human rights violations and reinstate Italy. Who's with me?!
@DB20Something
Tweet Topic

European Bob replying to newblue
23:41, Tuesday 14 November 2017
newblue
It’s a poor Italian team in terms of Italian teams, but their group included Spain and the Netherlands. Bit harder than Slovakia and Slovenia. They lost to a flukey deflected goal and in the first half were all over the Swedes. Saw a fair bit of the two games and don’t remember the Swedes creating too much. IIn most instances they would have put them away but just didn’t quite happen. A bit unlucky but that’s the game.

Netherlands were in the same group as France and Sweden, not Italy and Spain.

Sweden were the better side in the first game, and defended brilliantly in the second. Italy didn’t create all that much in terms of clear cut chances and Sweden has 2 very good penalty shouts turned down first half.

It’s clear from previous results that the Italians have struggled with scoring goals so it wasn’t just a case of being unlucky v Sweden.
Tweet Topic

notts_blue replying to DB
08:12, Wednesday 15 November 2017
DB
I say ban Saudi Arabia on human rights violations and reinstate Italy. Who's with me?!

<signs>
CheswickBlue on Magna
"You are a liar"
Tweet Topic
  • Get £2.50 off at FunkyHampers.com
    From Sweet Hampers to Chocolates and Retro Gifts to Flowers, FunkyHampers have exclusive gifts for all occasions.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertise your Small Business
    By becoming a SHA sponsor you can advertise your small business to thousands of Brummies for just pennies a day.
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »