This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Dehumidifiers

StechyBlue
09:31, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Anyone's house get rather misty in the winter ? Real issue in our gaff. Need some advice on dehumidifiers. Come at me.
Tweet Topic

Re: Dehumidifiers

Le Mod replying to StechyBlue
09:32, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Thought this was gonna be a defensive midfielders thread.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to Le Mod
09:44, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Le Mod
Thought this was gonna be a defensive midfielders thread.

No it's about hot air.....which is incidentally all our midfielders are good for.
Tweet Topic

wessex - mr rowett's happiest clapper replying to Le Mod
10:16, Wednesday 6 December 2017
had some damp in a previous house, got a dehumidifyer. it helped some. then we moved so i sold it on gumtree to a fellah experiencing similar damp issues.

could tell you more but i'm saving some for the memoirs..
Tweet Topic

the ferret replying to StechyBlue
10:45, Wednesday 6 December 2017
a blyss 10 litre dehumidifier is what you need.

will cost you £110 from b&q but did the trick for us. was amazed at the amount of water it collected.

a quick google search of 10 litre dehumidifiers shows appliances direct have one for £80 but couldn't vouch for it.

up the fookin blues
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
Tweet Topic

coventrybluenose replying to StechyBlue
11:00, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Got any decotterillizers
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
Tweet Topic

micktheknife replying to StechyBlue
11:09, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Our kid has the opposite problem. Where he works the air is so dry he get massive static shocks off all the metal items in the room - it's doing his head in.
Regards, Mick
Tweet Topic

Block23one replying to StechyBlue
11:34, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Same problem here,the kitchen was soaking wet as soon as a kettle was switched on.I purchased one from Aldi under the easy home brand name it is 20 litre +two fan settings also a dry washing setting. It works a treat it’s surprising how much water it pulls out of the air.
Recommended a great piece of kit.
Alwayshopeful by name.
Alwayshopeful by nature
Tweet Topic

Block23one replying to Block23one
11:45, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Just looked at Aldi online they are selling an updated one at £119 with 3 year guarantee. I don’t know if this link works good luck.

[www.aldi.co.uk]
Alwayshopeful by name.
Alwayshopeful by nature
Tweet Topic

Robert Hopkins replying to StechyBlue
11:53, Wednesday 6 December 2017
You're not venting it enough, either get an airbrick or open the window. if i thought i could trust you i could lend you one of mine.
Tweet Topic

bully-beef-jnr replying to StechyBlue
11:56, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Get some trickle vents put in your windows
Tweet Topic

Hoof hearted? replying to Robert Hopkins
13:59, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Robert Hopkins
You're not venting it enough, either get an airbrick or open the window. if i thought i could trust you i could lend you one of mine.

An air brick or a window?
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to Block23one
14:24, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Block23one
Just looked at Aldi online they are selling an updated one at £119 with 3 year guarantee. I don’t know if this link works good luck.

[www.aldi.co.uk]

Will have a look cheers !

Windows open is a no go - we have a baby girl.
Tweet Topic

Sheppy replying to StechyBlue
15:44, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Had the same problem with condensation all down my windows and buggering up the wooden sills. Realised that some muppet had painted shut all the vents at the top of the windows. Managed to release them and have them all open slightly now - problem solved!
Tweet Topic

17:17, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Your daughter won't be in every room. Your mist will be coming from either a condensing tumble dryer, bathroom, cooking or drying your clothes on the rads etc. All can be solved with a bit of venting. My guess is your gaff was built in the 70's when the metal frames they put in windows acted as the vents as they didn't shut properly. You know have double glazing and so there is now no natural air flow. Just leave the window in your room or bathroom on vent and won't affect your daughter.
Tweet Topic

Tony Hancock replying to StechyBlue
19:07, Wednesday 6 December 2017
If you mean the windows, a de-humidifier won't help. If you mean generally, that really doesn't sound good. If there isn't enough ventilation, you should be experiencing damp patches on the walls, turning green.
Tweet Topic

Rab C Nesbitt replying to Robert Hopkins
19:16, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Robert Hopkins
Your daughter won't be in every room. Your mist will be coming from either a condensing tumble dryer, bathroom, cooking or drying your clothes on the rads etc. All can be solved with a bit of venting. My guess is your gaff was built in the 70's when the metal frames they put in windows acted as the vents as they didn't shut properly. You know have double glazing and so there is now no natural air flow. Just leave the window in your room or bathroom on vent and won't affect your daughter.
True that.
It will be simple to solve.
Leave spare bedroom window open slightly, permanently.
Get vents installed in bathroom and kitchen.
Keep bathroom window open and bathroom door shut when showering or running the bath.
Open kitchen window or door when cooking.
Simple really
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to Rab C Nesbitt
19:20, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Basically in downstairs porch area black mould growing on the wall in patches.

Mould growing above windows on ceiling...I'll try venting more chaps thanks.

I think it's happening when it goes cold in night and we turn heat on in morning.

Ill try and note when it happens more often than not.

The mould is just a side issue as once you get that it will keep coming back until we stain block it but it's clearly Cold surfaces the moisture is getting on.
Tweet Topic

19:22, Wednesday 6 December 2017
If it is a porch which you didn't mention before, check your gutters aren't blocked or you have a leak in your roof.
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to Robert Hopkins
19:39, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Ok thanks mate. When I say porch mate it's more of a porch with no middle door into Hallway...it's where we keep shoe rack etc... will check this. I'll get a roofer out to sort gutter. Now you mention it last time we had gutter cleaned he said we could do with another union ? To raise the gutter and move water away quicker. Didn't clock this at the time being a potential cause of this type of damp / mould.

It happens in other areas as well as
porch. So far all together it's bedroom 1 and 2 on ceiling by windows and porch on wall.... ironically in corner by the drain pipe from porch roof.

Thanks for advice.
Tweet Topic

S TQ replying to StechyBlue
19:44, Wednesday 6 December 2017
I have one in the porch and one in my man room/ washing drying room in our bungalow Collects loads of water which would be causing problems elsewhere if not collected. Do open windows when at home.
Tweet Topic

debully replying to S TQ
20:01, Wednesday 6 December 2017
I've done a dissertation on the effects of housing conditions on health.

Id be alarmed at having a baby anywhere in an environment with black mould.

If you're renting start making loud noises. If it's yours then you need to sort it.

I now work in social housing (contractor side) and 7/10 times it's due to behaviors of occupants rather than defective buildings.

Covering air bricks is a classic. And bloody dangerous coupled with a gas appliance.
Tweet Topic

B_C_F_C replying to StechyBlue
22:11, Wednesday 6 December 2017
StechyBlue

Windows open is a no go - we have a baby girl.

Just the reason that you should have the windows open (but not so that she could get out of course).

Children should not be put in air-proof rooms.
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to debully
22:18, Wednesday 6 December 2017
debully
I've done a dissertation on the effects of housing conditions on health.

Id be alarmed at having a baby anywhere in an environment with black mould.

If you're renting start making loud noises. If it's yours then you need to sort it.

I now work in social housing (contractor side) and 7/10 times it's due to behaviors of occupants rather than defective buildings.

Covering air bricks is a classic. And bloody dangerous coupled with a gas appliance.

Its surface mould and we clean it it's not like a crack heads flat lol. But I hear you. And yes we need to sort it hence me asking for tips.
Tweet Topic

PJ1 replying to StechyBlue
22:41, Wednesday 6 December 2017
Had the same problem when I moved here a few years ago, wondered why all the neighbours had their windows open even in the middle of winter. We had mould everywhere and had to decorate every year. House was built in the 40's with no cavity walls. Did the usual thing, opening up vents etc then did a bit of digging and found that positive input ventilation could be a solution,basically a fan in the loft ducted through a grill in the hallway. Bought one from Amazon, had it installed and was disappointed that there was barely a hamster fart of breeze coming through it. But, 24 hrs later condensation was down to a 25mm layer at the bottom of the window and within 2days there was nothing anywhere. I'd bought humidity meters and the levels dropped from 80% to 45% (normal levels). Honestly,despite being cynical it's been the most effective thing ive ever bought, check out the reviews of the Nuaire Drimaster on Amazon and you'll see loads of people saying the same thing.
Can't recommend it highly enough
Tweet Topic

Tall replying to StechyBlue
23:18, Wednesday 6 December 2017
One tip. Don't clean the mould with bleach
It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. Just as long as you've got chickens.
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to PJ1
11:14, Thursday 7 December 2017
PJ1
Had the same problem when I moved here a few years ago, wondered why all the neighbours had their windows open even in the middle of winter. We had mould everywhere and had to decorate every year. House was built in the 40's with no cavity walls. Did the usual thing, opening up vents etc then did a bit of digging and found that positive input ventilation could be a solution,basically a fan in the loft ducted through a grill in the hallway. Bought one from Amazon, had it installed and was disappointed that there was barely a hamster fart of breeze coming through it. But, 24 hrs later condensation was down to a 25mm layer at the bottom of the window and within 2days there was nothing anywhere. I'd bought humidity meters and the levels dropped from 80% to 45% (normal levels). Honestly,despite being cynical it's been the most effective thing ive ever bought, check out the reviews of the Nuaire Drimaster on Amazon and you'll see loads of people saying the same thing.

I think this looks great mate. But for me a quick and cheaper fix is going to be a dehumidifier on the landing. At the moment the issue isn't bad bad, it's just in certain spots so i think we will be ok with a standalone dehimidifier. But i am saving this little product for future reference and it looks fantastic.
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to Tall
11:14, Thursday 7 December 2017
Tall
One tip. Don't clean the mould with bleach

Why you say this mate ? not disputing you but it's the polar opposite to what most say.
Tweet Topic

grandadandthekids replying to StechyBlue
11:23, Thursday 7 December 2017
StechyBlue
PJ1

I think this looks great mate. But for me a quick and cheaper fix is going to be a dehumidifier on the landing. At the moment the issue isn't bad bad, it's just in certain spots so i think we will be ok with a standalone dehimidifier. But i am saving this little product for future reference and it looks fantastic.

Ditto. Great piece of kit at reasonable price. Thanks for posting
"People are so complex you should know by now"
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »