14:09, Wed 16 May
Just signed up as I’m looking for a new job and want to maximise my chances.

However, nobody I know uses it, so I’m not really sure who I should be connecting with or how it works. Didn’t want to just start adding anyone and everyone in the field I want to work in as I don’t know if that’s the done thing so to speak.

Wondering if any users have any advice on how to go about things on there please? It’d be really appreciated. Thanks
14:11, Wed 16 May
I'm on linked in with Panos!
14:13, Wed 16 May
A giant recuitment site, which has hundreds of faux jobs advertised.

The genuine ones that are, are often very high quality.

Be very wary of recruitment agancies spam.

7/10
@Bluewurst1875
14:15, Wed 16 May
The recruitment agency spam is something I’ve noticed on other job sites, so I’ll keep an eye out for that. Cheers for the heads up
14:15, Wed 16 May
I think that’s exactly the way you should use it. I added loads of former work colleagues or acquaintances in my particular professional field. After a while you’ll get other people adding you to their network, often recruitment folk, so that’s not a bad thing. Just remember to ignore all your mates who will try to add you like they do a Facebook friend. That’s not the purpose of LinkedIn!
14:16, Wed 16 May
Squatnose
I think that’s exactly the way you should use it. I added loads of former work colleagues or acquaintances in my particular professional field. After a while you’ll get other people adding you to their network, often recruitment folk, so that’s not a bad thing. Just remember to ignore all your mates who will try to add you like they do a Facebook friend. That’s not the purpose of LinkedIn!

^^^ this. I use mine to promote me ready for when I start job hunting
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
14:19, Wed 16 May
Yeah pretty much this.

I use it on a daily basis and have amassed quite a lot of connections and end up inundated with irrelevant job offers.

Don’t connect with too many people you don’t actually know. I did that and now my feed is about 20% useful and the rest is utter shite.
14:42, Wed 16 May
Thanks for the advice all. I’ve actually managed to find a few people I used to work with a couple of years back so that’s a start who currently work in the field I want to so that’s a start! Will keep plugging away at it.
JCL
14:47, Wed 16 May
When I was job hunting I was talking to a lady who matchmakes jobs to people, apparently quite good in her field.

Her advice on LinkedIn was to accept every invite. It increases your reach and circles.

I never actually used it to find a job mind, but that was her advice. The majority of jobs do come from personal introductions, not that many are actually found from online adverts, so boosting the amount of contacts in your field is a good thing.
"Don’t hang about here, its decidedly unhealthy"
15:12, Wed 16 May
JCL
Look of people with LION after their name - linked in open networker - they will accept any invite. PM me and I will connect I have over 1000 connections
15:18, Wed 16 May
All depends on your sector.

For starters, import all your contacts from your phone and any other social media - FB etc.

If you're looking for work, search for people with titles who you might report into, as well as HR, Recruiters in that sector.

If you have a basic account, you won't be able to see much beyond people you know, so it's important to increase your contacts, which in turn will increase how many people you can view.

Let me know if you need anything else.
15:19, Wed 16 May
Only accept invitations from recruitment consultants if they are hot women.
Rags on the new Forum:
"Who on earth still has signatures showing ? ... they're the same every single time ... you've read 'em once then just hide them forever"
15:27, Wed 16 May
It's just full of egostistical people sellers, and is home the scourge of the internet, humblebrag. I'd delete it if I could be arsed.
15:40, Wed 16 May
My biggest weakness when I worked was that I worked too hard and held people to similarly high standards.
16:28, Wed 16 May
Oldham
It's just full of egostistical people sellers, and is home the scourge of the internet, humblebrag. I'd delete it if I could be arsed.

What do you mean?

Has a burger ever made you angry?

Yesterday I realised that my annoyance was spoiling my day and I had to deal with it. Here’s what happened.

I was walking along New Brighton prom in the record breaking Bank Holiday heat. It was a beautiful day.

Then it happened.

As I walked past an onion-smelling burger stand where a man stood doing his flipping, I spotted the price. £8 or £9 with cheese! (€10, $12)

What! For a little piece of outdoor sizzling junk food called meat, in that unhealthy wheat flour white bun, plus another quid for that thin slice of plastic processed cheese! £8/9!

I was riled but also aware of my bad attitude and I didn’t like the feeling it gave me. Ok, I’m not a skinflint but I do appreciate value for money.

Suddenly I had a mad idea.

I changed my rules.

How about I give that man £9, not primarily for the burger, but to help him look after his family and pay his bills. The burger is not worth the money but he is.

A wave of relief came over me. I felt better, I had beaten my burger battle. It won’t get to me again.

Can you relate?

Have you ever bought something like that for the benefit of the seller more than you?

For example, bought a copy of the Big Issue?
16:40, Wed 16 May
Oldham

yep its the absolute worst for this.

However its incredibly useful if you are looking for work, or even if you aren't looking for work, good opportunities tend to present themselves in the form of recruiters sliding in your DM's.
17:54, Wed 16 May
JCL
JCL
When I was job hunting I was talking to a lady who matchmakes jobs to people, apparently quite good in her field.

Her advice on LinkedIn was to accept every invite. It increases your reach and circles.

I never actually used it to find a job mind, but that was her advice. The majority of jobs do come from personal introductions, not that many are actually found from online adverts, so boosting the amount of contacts in your field is a good thing.

The inventor of LinkedIn says accepting every invite is the worst way to maximise the effeciveness of the platform.
We deserve our club back

H-Bomb

"Oh Nikola Zigic"
18:02, Wed 16 May
Depends what you use it for I guess.

Accepting every invite will inevitably full your feed full of stuff you aren't interested in or outside your field.

If you are just using it to look for work or check for people you may have in common for intro's, having a wealth of people on there will help.
18:08, Wed 16 May
Just make sure you have your career history updated and filled out to match your CV - and stick your skills on as this is how people often find and match you.
18:55, Wed 16 May
Just out of interest, what industry do you work in?
Regards, Mick