15:38, Wed 16 May
Following on from the Ray Wilson thread. Greaves was the most gifted finisher I have ever seen. Injured during 66 World Cup. This may seem odd and please rip me apart if you wish. Do you think the utter dejection he must have felt after being 1st choice striker but missing out, in anyway may have contributed to his alcohol abuse? Just a thought. Not a statement.
15:40, Wed 16 May
Bloody hell mate. Thought this was going to be bad news
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
15:41, Wed 16 May
He was already on the pop regularly by then wasn't he? Although I can imagine it didn't help much...

I read his autobiography a long while back - I think he was devastated about 66 but from memory it was the downtime and injuries that really contributed to the alcohol abuse.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
15:43, Wed 16 May
Sorry Rab. Get yr point.
15:43, Wed 16 May
There was a thought that Ramsey was a bit suspicious of him - not the type of dedicated and willing workhorse (e,g, Hunt)that Ramsey warmed to. He achieved plenty but he should hold the record for England goals and be in a first 11 of greatest English players, on talent.
15:45, Wed 16 May
Thx. I will see if I can get a copy somewhere. Bet it's a good read.
had to check if he'd passed away years ago

he's still alive
15:47, Wed 16 May
There are loads on amazon for less than £3. I think I read the one called "This One's On Me" but I can't remember.
Thongs
15:49, Wed 16 May
Ta.
15:57, Wed 16 May
I read Greavsie's book years ago.

It was very good, very honest, very moving.

As Number8 says, Greaves was a massive drinker anyway - and he wasn't alone in that.

I definitely think the World Cup thing played a big part in destroying his hunger for playing. I think that while he was still driven by the football, it was fine. The drinking didn't matter so much. But eventually the drinking became more important and that screwed him.

He was only 26 in 66, but he has said many times that he felt like missing the World Cup final stages cheated him out of what should have been the pinnacle of his career.

His achievements are / were incredible. Mind-blowing. I can remember when I was a kid looking at a book giving stats for England's leading goal scorers, when I saw 44 in 57 I honestly thought it must be a misprint. Then you add in his club records. He was the best of the best.
16:00, Wed 16 May
number8
There are loads on amazon for less than £3. I think I read the one called "This One's On Me" but I can't remember.

There were two around the same time. I think they were called This One's On Me and One For The Road.

One was about his playing career and the other about TV and life after playing.
16:03, Wed 16 May
You're right, I remember from Greaves' book the fact that Bobby Moore drank almost as much when he was playing, as well as others at the London clubs (players appeared to hang out with each other all the time, across team lines). Different world.
Thongs
16:05, Wed 16 May
I'm reading a book about Socrates at the moment - no, not the philosopher - and he liked the bevvy (and the cigs, and the birds) so much his teams allowed him not to train and turn up when he felt like it because he was so good. And that was late 70's/early 80's. You'd never get that now.
Thongs
16:06, Wed 16 May
The great Peter Cook, a lifelong Spurs fan, was a close friend of Jimmy Greaves. He once described Geeavesie as "the fastest man I've ever seen over ten yards - to the bar".
16:07, Wed 16 May
Always liked the way he stuck up for Blues against Newbon.
16:14, Wed 16 May
The drinking across club lines thing was definitely right.

During the sixties the same thing went on in Manchester, one of George Best's biggest buddies and drinking partners was Mike Summerbee.

You wouldn't get away with any of it now.
16:18, Wed 16 May
Saw Cruyff used to smoke 60 a day when he was a player, about the same as David Bowie
18:22, Wed 16 May
What's the story behind this?
18:51, Wed 16 May
My old man is a good judge of a player and is old enough to have seen all the greats and he said obviously there have been better all round players, but jimmy greaves was the best finisher he’s ever seen.
20:20, Wed 16 May
Durham Blues
Always liked the way he stuck up for Blues against Newbon.

Yes....Greavsie has always been credited as the man who gave Villa benefactor and owner for many years Doug Ellis the nickname " Deadly Doug "

Because Ellis constantly sacked managers .....bit like modern times ....HA HA