16:25, Wed 16 May
All, one for the amateur sleuths and anoraks amongst you...

I'm trying to precisely date this game (Obvs. '83 / '84 season) I've got a hunch re. our opposition on the day - for what it's worth, I don't think it's Liverpool or Forest.

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers, Steve

Linked Image
16:34, Wed 16 May
Ipswich?
16:39, Wed 16 May
Sponsor looks like McEwans - Blackburn?
Dictated but not read.

Louie Donowa
Rangers. Is the sponsor McKewans?
16:40, Wed 16 May
Nah, they were sponsored by Pioneer.
Rags on the new Forum:
"Who on earth still has signatures showing ? ... they're the same every single time ... you've read 'em once then just hide them forever"
16:41, Wed 16 May
I'm pretty sure that is the Liverpool game in May 84.
16:43, Wed 16 May
I think it's Carlisle United from the sponsor
16:43, Wed 16 May
I think it's 84-85 and it's Carlisle. They had blue with white pinstripes and McEwan as sponsor that year.
16:44, Wed 16 May
Sponsors not right though. Liverpool were sponsored by Crown Paints in 83/84.

Is it Luton, but washed out colours? Carlisle is a good shout btw.
Rags on the new Forum:
"Who on earth still has signatures showing ? ... they're the same every single time ... you've read 'em once then just hide them forever"
its either an early or late season game

looks like a change kit
17:01, Wed 16 May
Actually, yeah.

Carlisle is a good shout, I went along with the OP saying 83/84 - but it could have been the following season.
17:21, Wed 16 May
The sponsor is right and being a umbro kit is right this was the home kit from that time

Linked Image
17:22, Wed 16 May
I reckon it's defo Carlisle. Fair play.

Linked Image

Slightly wider view.
17:24, Wed 16 May
Linked Image

The socks in this one are the giveaway.
17:31, Wed 16 May
And the programme saying we're playing Grimsby shows it's Div 2.
17:34, Wed 16 May
Check the fixtures in the programme, who did we play early season, Hoppy looks like he has a sun tan
17:38, Wed 16 May
All, thanks so much for the replies, it's much appreciated!!

You've confirmed my own hunch (honestly) that it was Carlisle Utd on 15th Sept. 1984 as they were sponsored by McEwan younger.

The reason why I had to know is that I'm the blonde kid on the Kop behind Hoppy....

My life is now sadly complete.

Cheers!
17:40, Wed 16 May
Yeah Carlisle I’m saying : that Grimsby game we won 2-0 Nicky platnuer scored 1 but can’t remember who got the other ; Andy Kennedy ?
17:48, Wed 16 May
According to wiki, we beat Grimsby 2-1 on Boxing day, Geddis and Platnauer getting the goals.
18:09, Wed 16 May
SteveG70
All, thanks so much for the replies, it's much appreciated!!

You've confirmed my own hunch (honestly) that it was Carlisle Utd on 15th Sept. 1984 as they were sponsored by McEwan younger.

The reason why I had to know is that I'm the blonde kid on the Kop behind Hoppy....

My life is now sadly complete.

Cheers!

Where’s the tin foil hat?
Dictated but not read.

Louie Donowa