22:15, Wed 13 Jun
The Hurricane
johnthefence
Does anyone remember that tiny little stand with its own roof between the paddocks and the front of the railway end.

yes, it was there right up until the old Railway Stand was pulled down I think

sponsored by both ABC and Tritron Showers among others I think

It was also known as "Busmen's Corner" .....the off duty drivers and conductors (or clippies) for BCT were usually housed there

Believe it was also called the Remploy stand at one time. It had those 3 wheeled disabled cars there.
22:16, Wed 13 Jun
DES
I must have dreamt it but Im sure I didn't. I can even remember QPR wearing those ridiculous red and black AC Milan shirts. Moreover I still don't think Bert Murray would have scored a hat trick.
22:19, Wed 13 Jun
But Tony Hateley would ?
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
22:23, Wed 13 Jun
Camlan
Does anybody remember the half naked go go dancers in front of the Tilton. Might have been 67 or 68 and I'm pretty sure against Millwall, There was a near riot.

I was there for that match and remember one paper - possibly the Daily Mail - reporting that the crowd disapproved of the models and greeted them with shouts of ‘Get them off!” !
22:25, Wed 13 Jun
No we chanted "get your tits out for the lads":D
22:26, Wed 13 Jun
Yes with his head. I must have been dreaming but I can see it now. I am definitely going senile!

The reason I doubt the Murray hat trick isn't because I didn't rate him just that I think we were playing him at right back at that time.
22:33, Wed 13 Jun
Camlan
I must have dreamt it but Im sure I didn't. I can even remember QPR wearing those ridiculous red and black AC Milan shirts. Moreover I still don't think Bert Murray would have scored a hat trick.

Although Murray became an excellent right back for us he came from Chelsea as a goal scoring right winger.
22:37, Wed 13 Jun
Yes but I think he had moved to right back by then, he joined at the same time as Barry Bridges.
22:44, Wed 13 Jun
The Hurricane
johnthefence
Does anyone remember that tiny little stand with its own roof between the paddocks and the front of the railway end.

yes, it was there right up until the old Railway Stand was pulled down I think

sponsored by both ABC and Tritron Showers among others I think

It was also known as "Busmen's Corner" .....the off duty drivers and conductors (or clippies) for BCT were usually housed there

The whole of the Railway End stand used to be a small shed and when it was rebuilt in the style of the (present day) Main Stand presumably sometime early 1960's, they left the corner section standing for some reason, hence the strange little corner stand.

Those were the days when the Railway End was so low that a bad shot often went clean over the stand onto the railway embankment. A world away from the colossal thing we have now, and don't use.
22:45, Wed 13 Jun
Wasn`t Ray Martin right back
22:49, Wed 13 Jun
this stand is an eye sore and was built on the cheap.
22:49, Wed 13 Jun
For a couple of seasons , 68-70 Ray Martin and Bert Murray used to both have spells at right back . Martin made the position his own again after Murray left ( retired ?) . Then Tommy Carroll came along and again , Martin reclaimed it after he went .
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
22:56, Wed 13 Jun
Thats correct, i used to like Carroll, Martin was shite for ages then had the season of his life and saved the club from spending a fortune on a new r/back
08:29, Thu 14 Jun
Southside Blue
.. Tony Hateley , a hat trick for Blues ? Never as long as he had a hole in his bottom

His goal return for Blues was disappointing considering the hefty fee we shelled out for him ... ….only 6 goals in less than 30 games.....he had a similar drought at Chelsea , scoring only 6 in 28 games , he was actually signed by Chelsea for a then British record fee of 100K and was a stop gap replacement for broken leg victim Peter Osgood, who obviously was more favoured by Chelsea's support , Osgood being much more of a flair player

But Tony Hateley was known for a few hat tricks, he scored two hat tricks for Liverpool in just one season and once scored four for The Vile when they pulled back from 1-5 down to draw 5-5 with Tottenham

Obviously Big Tone was a typical old style aerial combat type of centre forward, that was his strength but technically he was very limited and cumbersome when the ball was on the deck

He certainly was a journeyman, played for 8 clubs including four Midlands sides ,Blues, Vile, Notts Co (twice) and Coventry

Commenting on his abilty, Tommy Docherty labelled Hateley's passes "addressed to whom it may concern " …..That made me chuckle
08:39, Thu 14 Jun
Which brings me to Phil Summerill

Very underrated striker and was a local lad too who came through our youth set up a few years before The Latchford bros , Kung Fu Gazza, Trevor and Kenny Burns

Never realized he was our top scorer three seasons running.....1969-1971 ….46 goals in 118 games for Blues, that's pretty impressive

He spent the first nine years of his career at Blues....was basically frozen out once TF and Bob Latchford formed a storming partnership but Summerill himself formed a decent partnership with both Geoff Vowden and Jimmy Greenhoff ...and usually outscored them both

One of the most underrated players to play in the Royal Blue....along with Gleghorn , Donowa, Georgie Smith, Ainscow, Tony Evans, Phil Cooper and quite a few others

KRO
08:56, Thu 14 Jun
The Hurricane
Which brings me to Phil Summerill

Very underrated striker and was a local lad too who came through our youth set up a few years before The Latchford bros , Kung Fu Gazza, Trevor and Kenny Burns

Never realized he was our top scorer three seasons running.....1969-1971 ….46 goals in 118 games for Blues, that's pretty impressive

He spent the first nine years of his career at Blues....was basically frozen out once TF and Bob Latchford formed a storming partnership but Summerill himself formed a decent partnership with both Geoff Vowden and Jimmy Greenhoff ...and usually outscored them both

One of the most underrated players to play in the Royal Blue....along with Gleghorn , Donowa, Georgie Smith, Ainscow, Tony Evans, Phil Cooper and quite a few others
Another player I think often gets overlooked although he didn,t join until 1970 is Alan Campbell. Always rated him , and his long hair and moustache certainly fitted with the Blues look of the day.

KRO
DES
09:00, Thu 14 Jun
Yes hurricane some record of Phil’s wasn’t it, last game I recall him playing was Boxing Day 71 @ Bristol city we lost 1.0 but apart from Leeds in semi NEVER LOST AGAIN till opening game of following season! Happy days!
Kro
DES
09:03, Thu 14 Jun
zxcv
this stand is an eye sore and was built on the cheap.
Zx you mean the present Gm stand?
Kro
14:02, Thu 14 Jun
DES
Yes, from the outside Des its awful.
Alan Campbell came from Charlton, for £70,000 what a snip, but i agree Gorgie Smith with his blond hair was so underrated, he came from Boro for £40,000 i think it was. Bob Hatton was only 80,000 from Carlisle and Gordon Taylor just 17,500. from Bolton lol. We once paid a fortune tho .... £140,000 for John Roberts from Arsenal, Center Half. Think we still owe them the last installment for him. lol
14:22, Thu 14 Jun
Phil Summerill used to get stick off Blues fans though.

A few years ago I was sorting old programmes in the loft - they were ones that my dad had passed on to me, probably from about 69/70 ish, when I would have been too young to take much interest in them.

Anyway, in one I looked at there was quite a long interview with Summerill and he was bemoaning the fact that Blues fans gave him so much grief. Said he couldn't understand it - he was local, always tried his best, had a good record...but felt he couldn't do anything right for some fans.

Blues fans have always been a bit weird.

Bob Latchford used to get called crap and lazy as well.