Re: 1960's Blues

zxcv replying to Write said Fred
22:49, Wednesday 13 June 2018
this stand is an eye sore and was built on the cheap.
Tweet Topic

Southside Blue replying to zxcv
22:49, Wednesday 13 June 2018
For a couple of seasons , 68-70 Ray Martin and Bert Murray used to both have spells at right back . Martin made the position his own again after Murray left ( retired ?) . Then Tommy Carroll came along and again , Martin reclaimed it after he went .
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to Southside Blue
22:56, Wednesday 13 June 2018
Thats correct, i used to like Carroll, Martin was shite for ages then had the season of his life and saved the club from spending a fortune on a new r/back
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Southside Blue
08:29, Thursday 14 June 2018
Southside Blue
.. Tony Hateley , a hat trick for Blues ? Never as long as he had a hole in his bottom

His goal return for Blues was disappointing considering the hefty fee we shelled out for him ... ….only 6 goals in less than 30 games.....he had a similar drought at Chelsea , scoring only 6 in 28 games , he was actually signed by Chelsea for a then British record fee of 100K and was a stop gap replacement for broken leg victim Peter Osgood, who obviously was more favoured by Chelsea's support , Osgood being much more of a flair player

But Tony Hateley was known for a few hat tricks, he scored two hat tricks for Liverpool in just one season and once scored four for The Vile when they pulled back from 1-5 down to draw 5-5 with Tottenham

Obviously Big Tone was a typical old style aerial combat type of centre forward, that was his strength but technically he was very limited and cumbersome when the ball was on the deck

He certainly was a journeyman, played for 8 clubs including four Midlands sides ,Blues, Vile, Notts Co (twice) and Coventry

Commenting on his abilty, Tommy Docherty labelled Hateley's passes "addressed to whom it may concern " …..That made me chuckle
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to The Hurricane
08:39, Thursday 14 June 2018
Which brings me to Phil Summerill

Very underrated striker and was a local lad too who came through our youth set up a few years before The Latchford bros , Kung Fu Gazza, Trevor and Kenny Burns

Never realized he was our top scorer three seasons running.....1969-1971 ….46 goals in 118 games for Blues, that's pretty impressive

He spent the first nine years of his career at Blues....was basically frozen out once TF and Bob Latchford formed a storming partnership but Summerill himself formed a decent partnership with both Geoff Vowden and Jimmy Greenhoff ...and usually outscored them both

One of the most underrated players to play in the Royal Blue....along with Gleghorn , Donowa, Georgie Smith, Ainscow, Tony Evans, Phil Cooper and quite a few others

KRO
Tweet Topic

davenports replying to The Hurricane
08:56, Thursday 14 June 2018
The Hurricane
Which brings me to Phil Summerill

Very underrated striker and was a local lad too who came through our youth set up a few years before The Latchford bros , Kung Fu Gazza, Trevor and Kenny Burns

Never realized he was our top scorer three seasons running.....1969-1971 ….46 goals in 118 games for Blues, that's pretty impressive

He spent the first nine years of his career at Blues....was basically frozen out once TF and Bob Latchford formed a storming partnership but Summerill himself formed a decent partnership with both Geoff Vowden and Jimmy Greenhoff ...and usually outscored them both

One of the most underrated players to play in the Royal Blue....along with Gleghorn , Donowa, Georgie Smith, Ainscow, Tony Evans, Phil Cooper and quite a few others
Another player I think often gets overlooked although he didn,t join until 1970 is Alan Campbell. Always rated him , and his long hair and moustache certainly fitted with the Blues look of the day.

KRO
Tweet Topic

DES replying to davenports
09:00, Thursday 14 June 2018
Yes hurricane some record of Phil’s wasn’t it, last game I recall him playing was Boxing Day 71 @ Bristol city we lost 1.0 but apart from Leeds in semi NEVER LOST AGAIN till opening game of following season! Happy days!
Kro
Tweet Topic

DES replying to zxcv
09:03, Thursday 14 June 2018
zxcv
this stand is an eye sore and was built on the cheap.
Zx you mean the present Gm stand?
Kro
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to DES
14:02, Thursday 14 June 2018
Yes, from the outside Des its awful.
Alan Campbell came from Charlton, for £70,000 what a snip, but i agree Gorgie Smith with his blond hair was so underrated, he came from Boro for £40,000 i think it was. Bob Hatton was only 80,000 from Carlisle and Gordon Taylor just 17,500. from Bolton lol. We once paid a fortune tho .... £140,000 for John Roberts from Arsenal, Center Half. Think we still owe them the last installment for him. lol
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to The Hurricane
14:22, Thursday 14 June 2018
Phil Summerill used to get stick off Blues fans though.

A few years ago I was sorting old programmes in the loft - they were ones that my dad had passed on to me, probably from about 69/70 ish, when I would have been too young to take much interest in them.

Anyway, in one I looked at there was quite a long interview with Summerill and he was bemoaning the fact that Blues fans gave him so much grief. Said he couldn't understand it - he was local, always tried his best, had a good record...but felt he couldn't do anything right for some fans.

Blues fans have always been a bit weird.

Bob Latchford used to get called crap and lazy as well.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Spike
14:29, Thursday 14 June 2018
No not having that about bob latch, hero from first day he appeared. Phil summer hill did get stick Tbf think he had poor body language issues cos his record was first class!
Kro
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to DES
14:39, Thursday 14 June 2018
My dad, uncle and their mates were forever gypping Latchford. Which used to really annoy me as a little 'un because I worshipped him.

Lazy was a word that was often used. He also got stick because (and in fairness this was true) he used to miss some bloody sitters. He also wasn't Trevor Francis who everybody agreed was the best - except me, I always preferred Latchford. He stood out and was the first player I focussed in on as a kid, I never changed that allegiance.

Even now - you'll hear a lot of people say they preferred Francis - even Hatton.

When I was a kid and my dad, uncle and their crowd used to criticise Latchford I thought they were just being weird, sometimes I even thought they were trying to tease me because they knew I was such a fanboy.

But as I got older and started mixing with a wider circle of Blues fans - outside my family - I was horrified to discover that the perception of him as lazy was quite widespread.

He definitely divided opinion somewhat whilst he was with us.

When he got thirty goals for Everton people might have revisited their opinion mind...
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Spike
14:52, Thursday 14 June 2018
Bloody hell spike where I stood he was lionised ( middle of Blues mob on the kop) yes he didn’t work hard and yes he did miss a few Ipswich fa cup one was unmissable. But we loved his goals and his aggression.
Couldnt believe what a gent he was when I met him! Bit like steve bull! Both gave it loads on the pitch but totally different off it!
In my all time Blues eleven, him and Trev up top in a 4.4.2!
Kro
Tweet Topic

steve aerobic replying to zxcv
22:14, Thursday 14 June 2018
Ray Martin was right back before Bert, Murray had a wicked right foot and was brilliant with direct free kicks. Does anyone remember Denis Isherwood playing right back too?
Tweet Topic

DES replying to steve aerobic
22:50, Thursday 14 June 2018
Think Denis Isherwood might have played in 5.5 draw v Blackburn year we were relegated, loved Bert Murray! Great attacking full back!
Kro
Tweet Topic

rocksteddie replying to DES
00:03, Friday 15 June 2018
Colin Green was our usual no 3, and Cullis played him out of position in the no 8 shirt against the Baggies at Villa Park in the semi. Changed a line up that beat Chelsea in the 6th round and it backfired.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to rocksteddie
00:09, Friday 15 June 2018
Great name rocksteady, from memory Trevor hockey was injured and he had dropped Vincent for great away win at Pompey as he had zero defensive side to his game hence two defensive midfielders 8 & 10.
Also we dominated semi but sadly it wasn’t our day!
Kro
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to DES
09:47, Friday 15 June 2018
Spare a thought for Dennis Thwaites

Murdered in the Tunisia terrorist attack

RIP....never forgotten, Den …..decent striker on his day and a loyal servant to BCFC

thumbs up
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to The Hurricane
09:55, Friday 15 June 2018
Some very popular players from the 60's era

Bertie Auld

Johnny Schofield

Jimmy Bloomfield

Terry Hennessey

Mike Hellawell

Ron Wylie

Malcom Beard

Winston Foster

Ronnie Fenton

Bobby Thompson (ex Wolves and England left back) ….often confused with striker Bobby Thomson who we signed from Vile a few years before

Johnny Sleeuwenhoek also joined us from B6 but injury wrecked his career after a short spell …..very good centre back

Gary Pendrey and the Latchford brothers were first teamers before 1970 came around....Malcom Page was a regular during the 60's too, stayed loyal to Blues right up to 1981 was once our most capped international for quite a while too

KRO
Tweet Topic

DES replying to The Hurricane
10:51, Friday 15 June 2018
hurrican did you see that article about malcolm page just had second knee replacement op?
Great servent to the club, was it 64 to 81?

I recall Dennis Thwaites (RIP) playing against both sheff wed and man u in that 69 cup run.

KRO

p.s. Dave Robinson scored a pen in that man u match, sha,me he never developed into the player we all thought he might become, we have had some crap centre backs if you think about it
Winnie Foster, Brian Sharples, Kendo Nagasaki and Geoff Scott Oh and that otto whatshis name!
All of em abosolutely shizen!
Tweet Topic

bobbytheg replying to zxcv
11:37, Friday 15 June 2018
George Smith was in a swap deal for Johnny Vincent R.I P. another taken too young.
Tweet Topic

bobbytheg replying to The Hurricane
11:41, Friday 15 June 2018
Thwaites was a cracking player. Apparently he used to throw up before games due to nervousness (along with Gary Sprake)and hence so few games in comparison to his length of time at Blues. R.I.P. both.
Tweet Topic

Eamon C replying to Bcfc1967
16:12, Sunday 17 June 2018
So we finally get the person to blame for that Millwall defeat. As I remember we were two nil up with 20 minutes to go and lost 3-2.
Tweet Topic

Bcfc1967 replying to Eamon C
16:52, Sunday 17 June 2018
Yep funny how it’s stayed with me for half a century!
Tweet Topic

Bobharford replying to WhittontheWizard
17:11, Sunday 17 June 2018
Lways Alpert was it Spanish Fly?
Tweet Topic

Bobharford replying to Camlan
17:13, Sunday 17 June 2018
I remember the mail reporter saying the outraged crowd wanted taken away as they were chanting Gerrem off! - I think we meant something different.......
Tweet Topic

Bobharford replying to zxcv
17:16, Sunday 17 June 2018
I actually remember Marting scoring a goal after a sprint down the wing
Tweet Topic

Bobharford replying to The Hurricane
17:19, Sunday 17 June 2018
Nice chap I remember hatting to him getting his autograph in the Elmdon training ground car park-whit I still had that autograph book had most of the players in it
Tweet Topic

Bobharford replying to The Hurricane
17:22, Sunday 17 June 2018
Ron Wyliecould alays get a foot in and find a pass
Tweet Topic

North Yorks Blue replying to The Hurricane
07:54, Monday 18 June 2018
Just belatedly picking up on a couple of points in this thread - all of which has brought back good memories of my early teen years watching the Blues - thanks for the original posting

1. Tiny corner stand : yep, agree it was the Busman's Stand too - my uncle worked on the BCT and got us tickets for the Chelsea FA Cup game (back in the day when that was important) and it was from that tiny stand that, on tiptoe I remember Barry Bridges' fabulous flying horizontal scissor kick that gave us our first in a 2-1 win (if memory serves).

2. Yep remember those tiny pale blue invalid carriages wobbling their way around the cinder track

3. Phil Summerill: yep, could never understand the stick he got. Pacey, could beat a man, scored goals, created chances. What wasn't to like? Must have been really peed off to take a move to Millwall.

4. Huge support : yep - can remember walking back to catch the no 50 bus back to Kings Heath (from the top of Bradford Street (?) - opposite the Shepherd's Rest pub at the top of Cheapside?) - and there'd be up to half a dozen BCT double deckers queuing up to take the fans back home
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »