DES
19:12, Wed 13 Jun
Hurricane here’s a question!
Why didn’t we play in red penguin at orient? We played in White that night.
Kro
19:18, Wed 13 Jun
Alum Rocker
Thought Hatton got one of the goals at Sheffield Wednesday. The equaliser I think

Always remember the plod separating supporters in the big open end,leaving to surround the pitch ten minutes before the end, and a spot of mayhem following. Different era.

Other thing about then was the team that stated the next season in the top flight was pretty much the same one. Nowadays half the team is replaced.

Yeah, seem to remember Hatton scoring that day. For me, 71-72 was the most exciting season of my 50 odd years of suporting the team, but then again, I was only a kid. Something I read recently about that season- we played 53 games and Roger Hynd and Bob Latchford played in all of them.
19:20, Wed 13 Jun
DES
As I remember the white kit was used during the FA Cup run. I agree we did ware the white kit at Orient.
The Millwall fans tried to get the game abandoned towards the end and the Blues fans surrounded the pitch to stop them getting on the pitch.
19:24, Wed 13 Jun
DES
DES
Kro

Orient were playing in their usual red , Des

(tu)
19:26, Wed 13 Jun
:D
19:27, Wed 13 Jun
I think one of the best scenes was thousands of Blues fans coming out of Piccadilly station and filling the whole of the road, pavements the load, down to the bottom of the hill. God we were run back to the station after the 3-1 defeat.
DES
20:25, Wed 13 Jun
The Hurricane
DES
Kro

Orient were playing in their usual red , Des

Then why didn’t we play in blue penguin! I’m confused
Kro

(tu)
20:48, Wed 13 Jun
DES
We'd played in all white up at Hillsborough just before , Des

I guess the club felt like using it again as a lucky omen

It was a night game too.....maybe it was to take the p*** out of Millwall as their first choice kit was all white as well...LOL

I'd swear there were actually more Millwall fans than Orient that night …..Chaotic night.....the pre match hoax bomb scare even made News At Ten …..Trevor Macdonald, the butt of many a Lenny Henry gag

One thing that always sticks in my mind ...….we just made the last regular train out of Euston back to New St with seconds to spare....think it was 1115 or 1125 pm

KRO
21:27, Wed 13 Jun
DES
Agreed, never really recovereld from that. I don’t know if it’s anecdotal or not but Bob Latchford was said to be so bitter about the sale he disowned Blues and never attended any reunions although he was/is a regular at Everton events.
DES
21:30, Wed 13 Jun
Spion, he certainly took to life at Everton where they have him down as a lege!
Sadly for us he scored more goals for them than for us.
Here’s a fact! Between 72 & 81 he scored more top division goals than ANYONE ELSE!
Kro
22:04, Wed 13 Jun
Linked Image
22:05, Wed 13 Jun
DES
Pat Phelan on Corrie has mentioned Bob Latchford more than once ...
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
22:31, Wed 13 Jun
The Hurricane
Linked Image

WTF has been airbrushed out of Bob Hatton's hands?!!!!
01:52, Thu 14 Jun
spionkop
Agreed, never really recovereld from that. I don’t know if it’s anecdotal or not but Bob Latchford was said to be so bitter about the sale he disowned Blues and never attended any reunions although he was/is a regular at Everton events.

May be true, but scoring 30 league goals for the toffees, and playing for England can't have made him too unhappy...

Also, there was a photo of Bob, Bob the Hat & TF carrying out a breaking of the ground ceremony when building of the new Tilton & KOP stands commenced.

KRO
Yum, Yum, Gimme Some...
DES
11:03, Thu 14 Jun
My word the famous German flag kit! I only ever saw us wear this at Albion and deffo burns didn’t play that night, wonder which match this was, did someone say we wore it at palace once?
Kro
11:13, Thu 14 Jun
DES
QPR I think?
11:20, Thu 14 Jun
spionkop
I don’t know if it’s anecdotal or not but Bob Latchford was said to be so bitter about the sale he disowned Blues

Nah, I don't believe that's true.

First time Latchford came back after joining Everton he made a big deal of standing in the centre-circle and applauding all four sides of the ground...though I think he went on to score two goals once the match started...

I've read his book and I've spoken to him about it personally.

Blues wanted the money and he was fine with leaving, there was no bitterness.
DES
11:42, Thu 14 Jun
Spike, yes I spoke to him when he came back to launch his autobiography. He definitely thought a hell of a lot about Everton, wasn’t anti Blues but not as euphoric about them as I thought he would be.
Kro
That German kit v qpr? In the cup? Bloody hell Iwas at that match we lost 2.0 but sprake had one of his better games!
17:08, Sun 17 Jun
I stand corrected. I was certain they worn hooped socks, however I have found a black and white image that shows Bob Hatton against West Brom in the mainly yellow and black band socks (or light and black).
As you get older the mind starts to go.
DES
12:59, Mon 18 Jun
eamon
i think hatton scored that night, it was a 2.2 draw bob latch deffo scored the second, i was on brummie rd that night, no trouble at all from my recollection.

KRO
21:52, Tue 19 Jun
DES
DES
eamon
i think hatton scored that night, it was a 2.2 draw bob latch deffo scored the second, i was on brummie rd that night, no trouble at all from my recollection.

KRO

Yes, Hatton and Big Bob were our scorers, I stood on the Birmingham Road end too, 37,000 there , was a great atmosphere , only time I saw us in the German flag away kit I think , I didn't go to QPR in the Cup the following season

Just 3 days later I went to Molineux where we lost 2-3 , Hope and Burns scored for us, there was loads of aggro after that game , on the way back to the rail station , a very hefty amount of Blues fans there but unfortunately most of us got ran back to the station entrance by an absolute bunch of rabid Yammer neanderthals foaming at their mouths, no Plod around at all, some of those mad Dingles came suddenly storming out of a café ….think the station was called High Level or Low Level , too far back to recall , don't recall any lifts or stairwells
22:31, Tue 19 Jun
I remember playing Leeds Utd at STans when Leeds were on an amazing (at the time) unbeaten run. The ground was packed solid with hopeful bluenoses wishing us to be the first team to beat them that season. The crowds broke the turnstiles in the Tilton and some of us got I for free.
l think it ended up a 1-1 draw? Someone here will tell me l hope?
My other memory was our first season back in Div 1 and we lost to Liverpool at Anfield 4-3...and the kop gave us a standing ovation, koppites admitted after the game we deserved to win.
No ball games
I remember playing Leeds Utd at STans when Leeds were on an amazing (at the time) unbeaten run. The ground was packed solid with hopeful bluenoses wishing us to be the first team to beat them that season. The crowds broke the turnstiles in the Tilton and some of us got I for free.
l think it ended up a 1-1 draw? Someone here will tell me l hope?
My other memory was our first season back in Div 1 and we lost to Liverpool at Anfield 4-3...and the kop gave us a standing ovation, koppites admitted after the game we deserved to win.

Was the Leeds one a midweek game? I seem to remember a draw against them at home at that time. Terry Cooper was at left-back if I remember rightly. As I didn't move back down to the Midlands until August 74, I reckon it could have been that season, unless I was in Brum on a visit.

Edit: 15th October 1974, midweek, but we beat them 1-0. I think that's the one that I was thinking of.
The belle of St Trillions
23:12, Tue 19 Jun
DES
That night I paid into the brummie road
Lots of other Blues fans in there
But before the kick off.
Ob move blues around the pitch to the Smethwich end
After the game walked down soho road back to town

That night it was 2-2 and we played in the German kit
Brother Tam, the deep fat friar
Was the Leeds one a midweek game? I seem to remember a draw against them at home at that time. Terry Cooper was at left-back if I remember rightly. As I didn't move back down to the Midlands until August 74, I reckon it could have been that season, unless I was in Brum on a visit.

the 1-1 draw was during our 2nd season back in the old 1st Division during the Penguin era

29th December 1973 ….1-1 draw, Leeds were at their mightiest and they went on to win the Title that season....1973/74....surprisingly they had only won the Title one other time (68/69) during the Don Revie dynasty and the famous era when most fans hated them

Attendance was 50,451 ….biggest attendance we had both home and away that season....even our away game at Man United only attracted just under 49K

Pretty sure Bob Latchford opened the scoring for Blues and I think it was either Peter Lorimer or Joe Jordan that got a late equalizer for Leeds…..and I'm not certain but we had their former keeper Gareth Sprake in goal for us and I think it was his error that led to them making it 1-1

I was on the Tilton near the corner bogs (where the poor lad lost his life 12 years later) , yes, it was absolutely like a sardine can .....I reckon there we far more inside , BCFC seem to have a History of reported dodgy gate figures

KRO
23:23, Tue 19 Jun
We had actually also beaten Leeds 2-1 in the first season up (72/73)

We did also beat them at home again the season after the famous 1-1

1-0 in 74/75

Trevor Francis scored in both of those

(tu)
DES
23:24, Tue 19 Jun
Oz don’t recallib moving anyone certainly not me and few mates, we were with few baggies who we knew,
Kro
Bob latch scored late goal in front of us!
Kro
09:31, Wed 20 Jun

Lovely stuff from Alan Campbell for our goal.