22:53, Wed 13 Jun
Appologies on the no car hire thing.

Chicago, brilliant city for sports, food and culture there’s something for everybody. Easy to get around on the subway and if it’s warm go up to Milwaukee or some of the lakeside towns in Wisconsin (1 hour on the train) for some lovely beaches. If it’s really hot you’ll find people swimming in the lake on the waterfront, there’s a nice beach on the northside. If it’s winter there’ll be icebergs on the lake :D
23:40, Wed 13 Jun
Tandy
Appologies on the no car hire thing.

Chicago, brilliant city for sports, food and culture there’s something for everybody. Easy to get around on the subway and if it’s warm go up to Milwaukee or some of the lakeside towns in Wisconsin (1 hour on the train) for some lovely beaches. If it’s really hot you’ll find people swimming in the lake on the waterfront, there’s a nice beach on the northside. If it’s winter there’ll be icebergs on the lake :D

(tu)

Or Vegas or San Fran (if you don't want to hire a car).
10:22, Thu 14 Jun
Is that the one run by the Blues lad who posts on here?
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
10:28, Thu 14 Jun
West.Coast.Of.Florida.
10:32, Thu 14 Jun
miamivice79ish
West.Coast.Of.Florida.

(tu)
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
10:44, Thu 14 Jun
Tall
Can thoroughly recommend them. Lovely people to deal with

Agreed.
13:48, Thu 14 Jun
I am surprised no one has mentioned DC if you do not want to rent a car and are not fussed about a beach. There are great museums to visit plus April is Cherry Blossom festival. The museums are mostly free too. Plus there are sports: Baseball, basketball and ice hockey to see. Plenty of concerts and gigs to go to
15:17, Thu 14 Jun
Spike
Tall
Can thoroughly recommend them. Lovely people to deal with

Agreed.

I should imagine Casper would agree too. :D
17:15, Thu 14 Jun
Yes.Casper
They say I got brains but they ain't doin' me much good.
17:30, Thu 14 Jun
Dom
Dom
Newport Beach in California. 45 minute drive into LA, 2 hour drive to San Diego. Brilliant place, a woman gave my friend $200 in the supermarket to pay for our BBQ food/beer "because I want you to know how nice Californians are"

We stayed in a $2million beach house for $350/400 per night which slept 8 of us.

The fek ? She minted ?
21:05, Thu 14 Jun
If you're serious about no car, then New York, Boston, Chicago, DC, San Francisco would be my suggestions. Lots to do/see in all of them.

If you want reliably warmer weather and a beach at Easter, then Florida Gulf Coast, but I think you'd need a car.
Dom
21:38, Thu 14 Jun
StechyBlue
Dom
Newport Beach in California. 45 minute drive into LA, 2 hour drive to San Diego. Brilliant place, a woman gave my friend $200 in the supermarket to pay for our BBQ food/beer "because I want you to know how nice Californians are"

We stayed in a $2million beach house for $350/400 per night which slept 8 of us.

The fek ? She minted ?

I think a lot of people in Newport Beach are. We tried to refuse the money but she was having none of it.

I’ll be moving there if my numbers come up.
21:53, Thu 14 Jun
Wife says no car - she is happy sitting next to the pool for a fortnight - i want something to do. If i can get something to do within walking distance its a winer.
23:05, Thu 14 Jun
Nowhere in America is walking distance.
23:10, Thu 14 Jun
Gulf Coast/West Coast Florida around Tampa Bay is an awesome place but 2 things, 1 a car is essential but you don’t need to drive long distances 30 mins from wherever you are and you can be in Tampa, St Petes or Clearwater area. Bush Gardens is much better than Disney and much cheaper. 2. Remember April is Spring Break time in US and accomdation costs are gonna be a lot higher. If you want a condo with a pool on the beach try JC Resorts in Redington Beach and BA fly direct to Tampa daily. Wherever you choose to go sure you’ll enjoy the USA
00:04, Fri 15 Jun
Sod the wife and kids - go to New Orleans.
www.sevenstarphotography.co.uk
07:39, Fri 15 Jun
wannabee bailey

To be fair, if the wife and kids are "being sodded", go to Thailand! (and you definitely won't need a car!)
07:59, Fri 15 Jun
bluearmyfaction
Nowhere in America is walking distance.

The cell block to the lethal injection room ??

dead men walk that
08:10, Fri 15 Jun
If you are serious about not driving

Clearwater Beach, FL …..as stated BA fly daily direct from London Gatwick to Tampa and an airport shuttle ride is only 23 dollars per person....Uber or Lyft would likely be even cheaper but you have to prebook on a smart phone I think ….Super Shuttle have a pay kiosk at Tampa ….BA fares can be a tad pricey but there are connection services in and out of Tampa with other carriers to all other major international US airports …..Dulles (United Airlines major hub ) , JFK, Philly, Chicago, Dallas (American Airlines main hub) , Atlanta (Delta rule ATL), Charlotte , Miami

Hilton Head Island , South Carolina …..there is an airport there you can connect to , most likely from Charlotte or Atlanta if you're coming in from UK .....beautiful island in spring and there's a Disney condo style resort there too ….not a theme park but kids love it …..quite secluded, historic Savannah, Georgia is close by

as mentioned, Chicago, New York City or Washington DC staying central if you still don't want to drive .....but decent hotels in all three are vastly expensive....it's a long flight but I hear great things about Seattle in warmer months too....about 5-6 hours from the border with Canada and Vancouver is accessible

Anywhere in California you would really need a car.....even to escape the dodgy neighbourhoods you were curious about or you turned left instead of right .......Japan Town in San Francisco is still dangerous after dark as are quite a few areas around the central part of LA

You'd need a car in Texas too but many families speak highly of San Antonio and Austin …...Houston has a lot of crime and is vast

Although it's image has improved over the years there is still drug related crime in Little Havana in Miami and mainly theft related crime on Miami Beach (avoid North Miami and Hialeah) …...Chicago has some of the worse murder rates in the US but only in certain pockets of areas on the South and West side.....if you can afford to stay Downtown Chicago, it's worthwhile ….but go April or later....it's bloody freezing in winter months even March

KRO
09:01, Fri 15 Jun
weaponsguru
wannabee bailey

To be fair, if the wife and kids are "being sodded", go to Thailand! (and you definitely won't need a car!)

Actually thailand is the other option if we can't find anywhere in America :D
09:44, Fri 15 Jun
Robert Hopkins
Actually thailand is the other option if we can't find anywhere in America :D

If that’s the case, avoid Pattaya like the plague.

Arse end of the world, fact. And I’ve been to VP so I’m well able to judge.

Hua Hin southwards if you have to go.