Berlin

JCL
11:53, Thursday 14 June 2018
Before we all get too caught up with the World Cup I hope there is time for 1 more ‘I’m going on holiday and want to ask strangers on a football board where to go’ thread.

As the title suggests I’m off Berlin next week, Thurs-Sun, for the Stones gig on the Friday night. Obviously, there is quite a bit of spare time so should probably go and see stuff.
Am planning on watching the German v Sweden game in the “Fanmeile at the Brandenburger Tor” alongside a million or so Germans. Will wear my England top and sing ’10 German Bombers’ very loudly as I sport r troops!

So before I get lynched any top tips that aren’t on Trip Advisor?

For reference, I’m a 41-year chap taking a 38 year old polish chick, both of who like beer!

Obliged.
Well I suppose I'll have to escape eventually, but I'm not quite up to it at the moment
Tweet Topic

Re: Berlin

Tandy replying to JCL
11:57, Thursday 14 June 2018
If you’re with a Polish girl hop on a train to Frankfurt-an-Der-Oder (don’t get confused with the proper Frankfurt) and walk over the bridge into Poland, or get the train straight from Berlin Hbf to Szczecin which is supposed to be nice.
Tweet Topic

mr_crosby replying to JCL
11:59, Thursday 14 June 2018
I haven’t been since late 80’s stayed in Kreuzberg. Haven’t been back since but it was one of the best places in the world I’ve visited.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to mr_crosby
12:47, Thursday 14 June 2018
It’s a great city and Germans love us! We were there in 2006! Fantastic time, show them some love and leave the 10Gb songs to the Neanderthals!
Wish I was going!
Think charlottesberg was where all the action was!
Kro
Tweet Topic

Malachite replying to JCL
12:51, Thursday 14 June 2018
I've been 4 times in the last 2 years, Berlin is a fantastic place, so much to do. I was there last month and it didn't get below 30 Celsius during the day. Museum Island is great, try and insider walking tour, well worth it. Tv tower, Reichstag, and there's some great areas for bars and casual eating. I will list some when I have time later and can be bothered.
Tweet Topic

bluemike replying to Malachite
13:24, Thursday 14 June 2018
Plus going to stones.

Off to Cardiff tomorrow, the last concert of my mini tour sadly.

Enjoy.
Tweet Topic

Bluesince62 replying to JCL
13:50, Thursday 14 June 2018
Been once, loved it, can't wait to go back.
We stayed in a hotel (Gat Point Charlie) which was yards from the old Checkpoint Charlie - some great bars around there, including a brilliantly mad beach bar, short walk to the river and the brilliant bars and museums there (Do a boat trip tour - great fun drinking beer in the sun on the river).
Around where we stayed was Willhelmstrasse - if you like yer history, on that street are the sites of the SS, Gestapo and Secret Police HQ's, now all a fascinating outdoor site dedicated to the 100's tortured and murdered in the cellars, sobering but also fascinating. All that's left are the cellars really as we obviously bombed the shit out of that street.
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
Tweet Topic

The cat next door replying to JCL
17:29, Thursday 14 June 2018
In Berlin just by the wall
You were 5'10'' tall
It was very nice
Tweet Topic

El Mayor replying to Tandy
17:31, Thursday 14 June 2018
Tandy
If you’re with a Polish girl hop on a train to Frankfurt-an-Der-Oder (don’t get confused with the proper Frankfurt) and walk over the bridge into Poland, or get the train straight from Berlin Hbf to Szczecin which is supposed to be nice.

Can confirm a) Szczecin is ace and b) a helluva lot cheaper. Takes two hours on the train from Berlin Lichtenburg.

Although Berlin is ace too.
[www.protipster.com] [www.almajir.net]

Ren Xuandong doesn't work for TTA, and TTA aren't the people putting money into BCFC...
Tweet Topic

grandadandthekids replying to El Mayor
03:10, Friday 15 June 2018
Things to Do in Berlin
A/ Tranenpalast - Palace of Tears
Exit Friedrichstrasser station and directly in front of the museum however the signs call it Grenz Erfahrungen.

1/Berlin Wall Video Bus Tour, Zeit Reisen, Unter den Linden 40 (+4930-4402 4450).
Don't know about this, just saw it online, just incase weather gets too bad!!! - Pay

2/ DDR (German Democratic Republic GDR) Museum, Karl Liebknecht Strasse 1 ; Sun-Fri 10am-8pm, Sat 10am-10pm - PAY

3/ Checkpoint Charlie

4/ The Wall marked by double paving stones and more recently metal plates. FREE
East Side Gallery - Longest Wall standing.

5/ Holocaust Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe = 2,711 blocks-Jewish Museum below. FREE

6/ Brandenburg Gate FREE

7/ FREE Walking Tour every day (Check Availability)
[www.newberlintours.com]

8/ Cold War tour with Fat Tire Bikes, Saturday ONLY in January for All in One tour , but I recommend the Cold War Tour. You need to email in advance for availability for this. PAY
[fattirebiketours.com]

9/ Siegessaule-The Victory Column in Tiergarden.FREE

10/ Reichstag/Parliament Building
Must pre book: FREE
[www.bundestag.de]

11/ Topography of Terror Museum FREE.

12/ Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. PAY
If you are really struggling for cash, you can do this on your own. Get train ticket, 10 min. walk to camp (ask for directions at station) free entry and read all the info boards in your own time.
I do recommend the tour and all profit goes to the camp.
[www.mosaictours.org]

13/ Treptower Park - Soviet War Memorial. FREE

13/ Black&white photo booths dotted around the city sights ;-)

14/ St Mary's Church
Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 8
Brilliant News video inside depicting the wall coming down, shown on an old TV inside.

15/ Hohenschoenhausen Prison
First up getting there - we took the u bahn to alexanderplatz and then the m5 tram from the platz to freierwalder strasse. We knew that there was one tour per day in English at 2.30pm and therefore left alexanderplatz at just after one to allow plenty of time. The tram takes about half an hour through nondescript and very obviously eastern bloc style suburbs. Jump off at freierwalder strasse and then a short walk - 10 mins max - following the signpost to 'gedenkstatte'. When you reach the t junction at the end of freierwalder strasse, you have arrived! The prison is opposite you, but first go to the reception area to register for a tour. This is in the green and white office block on the right when you reach the t junction. Walk to the very end, turn right and you will find the entrance. This block used to be where the stasi made their listening devices and gadgets, but now on the ground floor you will find a one room reception area where there is a bookshop, small information display and coffee shop. Buy your tour ticket from the paydesk, grab a coffee and browse the books while you wait (we had over half an hour to wait having erred on the side of caution ref timing). There are no bathroom facilities here, but there are modern toilet blocks within the prison grounds and this will be the first place that your guide takes you before starting the tour. The tour lasts 90 mins and there are no other loo facilities in that time.
As far as the tour itself was concerned, our guide was a young Hungarian woman. Although she had not been held in the prison, she had been brought up behind the iron curtain and quite obviously had raw emotion in her voice at times when talking of the oppression suffered under the stasi and their equivalents throughout the eastern block. We were shown the underground torture cells, transport van, solitary cells, interrogation rooms etc. we also heard a number of anecdotes and eyewitness evidence about what happened inside and out of the prison. It was powerful stuff and quite horrific to think how recently this was happening in Europe. Even worse is the thought that similar continues to happen in various locations throughout the world. What exacerbated the impact of the visit was the grey, drizzly Late October weather and the fact that it was dusk when we left at 4. The trip to hohenschoenhusen was both fascinating and horrific at the same time. It is certainly a must see on a trip to Berlin in order to understand the regime of the east, and at 5euro per adult plus the cost of an AB zone travel ticket, it will not break the bank. Try reading Stasiland by Anna Funder before going to add to the experience.

Bars&Clubs

1/ ••Luzia Bar (MUST VISIT)
Oranienstrasse 34
10999 Berlin
(Kreuzberg neighborhood)
U-Bahn: Kottbusser Tor

2/ Club der Visionaere -Cheap!
Am Flutgraben 2, Berlin, Germany
clubdervisionaere.com

3/ Cookies Club/Drayton Bar near Unter den Linden

4/ ••Watergate club near Oberbaum Bridge

5/ Salon Zur Wilden Renate- Night Club in Treptower - Fri and Sat.

6/ Berghain/Panorama Bar

7/ ••Madame Claude Bar (French bar with furniture on ceiling)
Lübbener Straße 19, Berlin
Kruezburg
I also recommend a restaurant down the street that also is popular among the locals in this neighborhood called Das Edelweiss - Gorlitzerstr. 1-3, 10977 Berlin, Germany (Kreuzberg).

Berlin

If the weather is good and you want decent outdoor drinking, eating (and dancing), these were the best Biergarten.

Golgatha in Kreuzberg: [www.golgatha-berlin.de]
Prater in Prenzl Berg: [www.pratergarten.de]
Cafe am neuen See in Tiergarten: [www.cafeamneuensee.de]
Schleusenkrug also Tiergarten (very close to Zoo): [www.schleusenkrug.de]

Generally for a good bar crawl, I'd recommend Mitte - head for S-Bhf Hackescher Markt and Oranienburger Str. area. Loads of bars, cafes and clubs.
"People are so complex you should know by now"
Tweet Topic

baldrick replying to grandadandthekids
03:45, Friday 15 June 2018
Wow!!!

You take my breath away
Tweet Topic

DES replying to baldrick
09:19, Friday 15 June 2018
baldrick
Wow!!!

You take my breath away
Baldrick, that was clever!
Grandad epic bit of info gathering!

KRO
Tweet Topic

JCL replying to grandadandthekids
09:50, Friday 15 June 2018
Some fine info there Pops, thanks!

I’ve always been a dubious about going on organised, guided tours. I don’t like the idea of traping round with a group of people being told what to look at and all taking a picture of the same thing.
However I’ve been reading reviews about a few tours and it does seem you gain a lot more knowledge and insight, even if I would probably forget it all after the first couple of steins! So maybe will give it a go.

Much Obliged and a doff of the hat!

**Edit** Just been going through the bars and adding to my google map list (a pretty good thing to set up ahead of time it seems) and quite a few of the bars listed show up as ‘hip nightclubs with international DJ’s’. Who knew granddadandthe kids was a fully-fledged hip raver, who knew!
Well I suppose I'll have to escape eventually, but I'm not quite up to it at the moment
Tweet Topic

grandadandthekids replying to JCL
10:28, Friday 15 June 2018
Im a youthful 54 with 4 children and 1 grandchild.

Unlike the U.K. the clubs in Berlin are open to all ages, and all ages take advantage of the situation.

After liberation of the wall coming down, it's a city making up for some serious lost time!

Edit: the city is as flat as a pancake so easy on the legs and the roads are safe.

The bike tours etc are good because you cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time while getting a feel for the city and what it has to offer.

Just sooooo much interesting info if you are so inclined.

Have a great time, you can't not. It will take you 3-4 visits to cover what it has to offer.
Tweet Topic

weaponsguru replying to JCL
10:36, Friday 15 June 2018
Nobody seems to asking the most important question here !!

...Is the Polish bird fit?

If so, concentrate on location of hotel and spend more money on a decent room.
If not, look for a cheap hotel near to the bars and nightlife and spend more money on beer.
Tweet Topic

grandadandthekids replying to weaponsguru
10:48, Friday 15 June 2018
Side note, I don't know how old you are but there are some immense hostels in Berlin, better than most basic hotels In the UK for cheap money, while also in central locations.
Tweet Topic

JCL replying to weaponsguru
10:50, Friday 15 June 2018
weaponsguru

If not, look for a cheap hotel near to the bars and nightlife and spend more money on beer.

Course she is! (although I will admit her mate is fitter, but she is married and babied up).

I have been with her for over a year now so no need to try and impress her with fancy rooms, my wit and sparkling personality has done that.

***calls up hotel and upgrades to suite**
Tweet Topic

The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue replying to JCL
11:00, Friday 15 June 2018
JCL
weaponsguru

Course she is! (although I will admit her mate is fitter, but she is married and babied up).

I have been with her for over a year now so no need to try and impress her with fancy rooms, my wit and sparkling personality has done that.

***calls up hotel and upgrades to suite**

Go to that big famous s&m club. The history will still be there in a few years.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »