Re: England vs Croatia Match Thread

zxcv replying to Le Mod
23:14, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Le Mod
They’re decent, wouldn’t deny that.

Still, we can go on about experience all day long, should have been 2-0 at half time. They aren’t that good. We won’t meet a weaker semi final opponent again.
It really could have been 2-0 at HT but thats not the full story tbf, they hit the post second half and missed or had chances saved unbelievable saves to be honest so if we are honest they could have pulled 2 back quite easily, There will always be ifs , buts, and maybe`s.
Tweet Topic

Scarface replying to Scoobers
23:15, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Well done to this young England team. We could have done better but it just wasn’t to be, we just seemed to lose confidence. This group of down to earth likeable lads could be a force to be reckoned withi n the next few years. It was a tough lesson learned today but it will probably do them well in the long term.

Heads up and let’s cheer them home instead of booing for once thumbs up
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to zxcv
23:17, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
We were favourites to win, we’re 1-0 up after 5 mins and in control. Proceeded to sit back and lost 1-2. Opportunity squandered. Anyway, off to bed.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to Le Mod
23:25, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Le Mod
We were favourites to win, we’re 1-0 up after 5 mins and in control. Proceeded to sit back and lost 1-2. Opportunity squandered. Anyway, off to bed.
And that is why i totally agree, but what followed that start is what you get with kids. sadly.
Tweet Topic

BromsgroveBlues replying to Le Mod
23:26, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Shame but we move on - we have to be positive for the future after decades of England rubbish.
It starts with Euros 2020. Semi final/final turns that into a home tournament and makes it winnable
Tweet Topic

Gary Rowett replying to Scarface
23:27, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
A lot of England fans underrated Croatia. They’ve got the best central midfield in the world, which is the most important part of the pitch as its the area that dictates the tempo.

They’re also all good on the ball and technical but also strong and physical.

Don’t buy this ‘they’re average’ spiel, like they’re a Sweden or Switzerland. They’d beat most top teams. I rate them higher than Brazil.

That being said, we should have won tonight, but have been undone by two defensive bouts of daydreaming.

The second in particular was particularly bad. They’ve only got one striker, and you’re not even going to get goal-side of him? Really poor from Stones.

I also think Southgate made a couple of errors. In this 3 at the back and no wingers formation we were pretty blunt in most of the games bar Panama; yet we were open at the back, no clean sheets.

I’ve seen some people say we should have been out of sight at half time today, but bar Tripper’s goal and Kane’s goal-mouth scramble after a keeper error with the goal kick, i dont remember any chances.

Think we missed a trick not taking Andy Carroll too, needed him in that extra time period when we were chasing an equaliser. Vardy turned out to be a wasted pick.

Still, we did alright overall. Won a penalty shootout, buried that ghost. Got the golden boot striker and have a decent platform to build on moving forward.
Twitter: @vivabrownie

Proven wrong on: N/A
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to Scarface
23:27, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Scarface
Well done to this young England team. We could have done better but it just wasn’t to be, we just seemed to lose confidence. This group of down to earth likeable lads could be a force to be reckoned withi n the next few years. It was a tough lesson learned today but it will probably do them well in the long term.

Heads up and let’s cheer them home instead of booing for once thumbs up
spot on.
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to zxcv
23:28, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Perhaps, or they were instructed to sit back in their own half and invite pressure.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Predator replying to DES
23:32, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
DES
sterling week link up front all along.

Load of rubbish. Sterling was our main outlet upfront once he went off we had no threat at all.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Predator
23:36, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Predator
While I’m proud of the lads and how far they got I do honestly feel Southgate made a some crucial mistakes.
1) Not taking a ball playing CM e.g Shelvey or Wilshere.
2) Starting Young over Rose.
3) Taking Sterling off totally killed any attacking threat we had.
4) Leaving Ali on when he was totally anonymous, Loftus-Cheek was massively underused in this tournament.
We were very good first half but when Kane and Lingard missed them BIG chances I just had a nasty feeling we would pay for it and we ultimately did, proud of England but also frustrated as this was a big opportunity missed.

My sentiments exactly

For the vast majority of us who can vaguely remember the 1966 triumph as youngsters, we will likely never have this kind of opportunity again to win a major.....even including the Euros but this is obviously the bigger prize

Expect countries like Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay , Spain and Germany to regroup and come back much stronger next time after glaring failures this time.....Italy and Holland would have already gone back to the drawing back learning from their mistakes too ….as for the Africa, Asian and CONCACAF nations (which include US and Mexico) they will get stronger as well as the years tick on , it's such a global game nowadays that offers much more riches and fame than the old days

Southgate did a grand job but he will have learned from this match too …..taking off Sterling was a mistake, should have been Lingard....he used the 4th sub too early as well but that's an easy jibe to make in hindsight …..Trippier's serious looking injury meant the end for him

Far too much was expected of Alli and Kane for this WC....the pair of them didn't really show up tonight (Kane started to go too deep, trying to be the leader understandably but unbalanced us big time) ….and John Stones switched off for a vital second... ….Rashford was a huge disappointment TBH , but he's just a kid so he will learn

Tripper was one of the top England players here in Russia....but actually he didn't challenge for the ball strongly enough that led to their 2nd goal so that's my only criticism of him, he just didn't have the height or strength, otherwise he was magnificent …...Spurs will start to get big offers for him, am still very puzzled as to why he has been overlooked all these years …..he's 27 years old already …..'playing in the Championship Syndrome' strikes again …..England need to change that thought strategy immediately

Not sour grapes but we got very little from this referee as well …..he was terrible

Agree with the poster who said Loftus Cheek should have been a starter all along......absolutely this, Dele Alli hasn't delivered at all apart from that one goal …..which even Brock Madsen would have buried in all honesty

They deserved to go through, we should accept that as a country of mainly gentlemen
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to Gary Rowett
23:38, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
We were favourites to win.

We were 1-0 up after 5 mins.

We went into our shell and lost.

Enjoyable tournament, likeable team, ultimately we lost to the weakest semi final opponent we will ever face, after leading.

A decent team, but nothing special. A team that’s now drawn 3 matches in a row.

Frustrated of South Birmingham
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Scarface replying to Le Mod
23:39, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Le Mod
Perhaps, or they were instructed to sit back in their own half and invite pressure.

That seems quite unlikely.

Today was bloody frustrating because of the potential there that just didn’t do it. That said, we’re talking about a young team that’s not really had much time together. They’re all good but they just need a bit more time to mature and gel. Rashford came on and he’s 19 ffs. At his age there is no way I could have handled that sort of pressure even if I had his ability.

I’m usually the worst loser and I am pissed off but credit where it’s due. Our ‘good’ experienced players got done by Iceland last time. What I’ve seen so far is a vast improvement and gives me a bit of hope.
Tweet Topic

Gary Rowett replying to Le Mod
23:40, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Le Mod
We were favourites to win.

We were 1-0 up after 5 mins.

We lost.

Enjoyable tournament, likeable team, ultimately we lost to the weakest semi final opponent we will ever face, after leading.

A decent team, but nothing special. A team that’s now drawn 3 matches in a row.

Frustrated of South Birmingham

I don’t disagree
Twitter: @vivabrownie

Proven wrong on: N/A
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to Le Mod
23:43, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Le Mod
I think they were tbh, but thats because they have no plan B. If he had chosen a more experienced squad they would know how to change things this lot can`t imo, there best shot is to get a couple of goals up and defend it, that there total weaponry so Gareth has also got a lot to learn and if he speaks to prem Managers i will bet everyone of them will say the same thing "Gareth you took to many kids mate" no options no plan B
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to zxcv
23:51, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Would just like to say one thing other than good night, Is i think we all agree we have some real great kids for the future and this tournament has given us great hope for 2 years time and the next world cup in four years.
Tweet Topic

brierleyblue replying to Predator
23:52, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Predator
DES

Load of rubbish. Sterling was our main outlet upfront once he went off we had no threat at all.

Yeah I thought Sterling scared there centre halves to death every time the ball went up to him. Their only answer was to keep putting the ball into touch which got us up the pitch.

Which begs the question. Other than set pieces what has Harry Kane contributed? We would get the ball wide and I immediately looked for Kane but he was way behind play. Yet the one big chance he did get I'm sure if he was in a Spurs shirt he'd have buried it.
The jinxed ITV boys seemed to think he must have been carrying an injury. But that was the case you have to look at Southgate. Why carry someone in such a big game?
Tweet Topic

DES replying to brierleyblue
23:59, Wednesday 11 Jul 2018
Brierley!
What has golden boot harry Kane produced do you mean?
Harry Kane the striker who is there to score goals ( and has done)
Not a lot really not compared to sterling who actually won two throw ins for us!!
#isthisforreal
Kro
Tweet Topic

IanT replying to Le Mod
00:00, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Le Mod, I love you but that's far too harsh.

You can't always blame someone for getting knocked out of a tournament.

Croatia were better than us, simple as that.
Because of Theresa May's sheer incompetence I've had to change my sig.
Tweet Topic

Scarface replying to brierleyblue
00:00, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
brierleyblue
Predator
DES

Yeah I thought Sterling scared there centre halves to death every time the ball went up to him. Their only answer was to keep putting the ball into touch which got us up the pitch.

Which begs the question. Other than set pieces what has Harry Kane contributed? We would get the ball wide and I immediately looked for Kane but he was way behind play. Yet the one big chance he did get I'm sure if he was in a Spurs shirt he'd have buried it.
The jinxed ITV boys seemed to think he must have been carrying an injury. But that was the case you have to look at Southgate. Why carry someone in such a big game?

Why do we always need a scapegoat?

Collectively we just were not good enough. It really is that simple and there wasn’t a ‘bad’ single player you can blame it on.

A 50% fit Harry Kane plays IMO. We’ve got nothing else like him and although he’s not scored in a couple he’s likely the Golden Boot winner and still the envy of the world.
Tweet Topic

zxcv replying to brierleyblue
00:05, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
brierleyblue
Predator
DES

I would have liked to have seen a couple of changes for tonight and one would have been Wellbeck for Sterling. Would also have changed the Liverpool lad in midfield, to many wayward passes.
Tweet Topic

IanT replying to zxcv
00:06, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
zxcv
brierleyblue
Predator
DES

I would have liked to have seen a couple of changes for tonight and one would have been Wellbeck for Sterling. Would also have changed the Liverpool lad in midfield, to many wayward passes.

I presume you get off on being the way you are.

It's very sad.
Because of Theresa May's sheer incompetence I've had to change my sig.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Scarface
00:08, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Scarface
Why do we always need a scapegoat?

Ask a few BCFC players that

Jonathan Grounds

Michael Morrison

N'Doye

David Stockdale

even Cameron Jerome , Zigic and McSheff from years gone by
Tweet Topic

DES replying to zxcv
00:09, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I’m a huge welbeck fan! Very dissapointed with the lack of impact rashford made when he came on, was Kane injured?
He didn’t get on the ball much but I thought that was cos our midfield didn’t feed him!
Kro
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to DES
00:30, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
DES
I’m a huge welbeck fan! Very dissapointed with the lack of impact rashford made when he came on, was Kane injured?
He didn’t get on the ball much but I thought that was cos our midfield didn’t feed him!
Kro

Des

If we'd have had a Bobby Moore (RIP) , an Alan Ball (RIP) and a Sir Bobby to launch those rocket 20-25 yarders goalwards , we'd have stuffed Croatia

At least we can remember the Glory era...….proud of the lads though.....But there's sure to be criticism and I think more will build up as the days go by , our own Press just have to have their digs, it's simply the English way

After all , we started this semi as favourites and we got outfought by a nation that was once just a region of Yugoslavia for decades and only has 4 million people

I'm still hurting ….but let's build for the Euros......In fairness to Southgate, he's reignited some of the optimism on the football side....but we still need to nurture some English born talent of our own instead of The Premier League being overrun by high income foreign stars ….this has been our Achilles Heel for many years now

At least Theresa's job is more at risk

KRO
Tweet Topic

SOBLUE replying to newblue
00:42, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
IMO The key factors that lost us the game tonight were:-

Fitness: bring fitness coaches in for a thorough review.
Persevering with Deli Ali when he clearly isn’t match fit/on top of his game.
Poor finishing & lack of killer instinct.
Constant cheating by Croats.
The Ref: he had his eyes on a free holiday in Croatia.

The game was there for the taking when we dominated the 1st half, yet we squandered 3 good chances and relied (yet again) on a magnificent free kick (were you watching, Ronaldo?).

BUT
This was a poor squad in June, IMO, and yet they and Southgate have turned it into something really promising. I have to applaud that. They did us proud. Let’s focus on the positives & keep any criticisms as constructive as possible.
Tweet Topic

brierleyblue replying to DES
01:14, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
DES
Brierley!
What has golden boot harry Kane produced do you mean?
Harry Kane the striker who is there to score goals ( and has done)
Not a lot really not compared to sterling who actually won two throw ins for us!!
#isthisforreal
Kro

That's quite a fair point to make.

The point I was trying to make about Sterling is that by winning throw ins!! at least the team could regroup and get themselves further up the pitch playing in the opposition half. I thought his pace scared them to death. When he went off, Rashford played in a different role, and it just seemed like the ball kept coming back at us.

As for Kane, to win the golden boot is a brilliant achievement, although personally I'm not really sure penalties should count as part of that total. Maybe that's a debate for another day.

Just my perception I guess but I really dont think he has performed as well as he does in a Spurs shirt. Maybe that's because he has better players around him. Maybe he feels the need to get more involved in the play for England so plays deeper. Maybe it's simply because I perceive him to be our only 'great' player so I just expect more from him.

We have got to a semi final against expectations and generated that feel good factor again so well done to the players and management. Maybe in the next 4 years we can find a few more gems from the lower age groups and make this squad better.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to brierleyblue
01:37, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
brierleyblue
As for Kane, to win the golden boot is a brilliant achievement, although personally I'm not really sure penalties should count as part of that total. Maybe that's a debate for another day.

He can still be caught by Lukaku (4) , and Griezmann and Mbappe of France (3)

Kane could still seal it with one or two v Belgium , just can't get overly excited by this 3rd/4th game v Belgium

To quote 'The Great Ken W ' …"They think it's all over"...well , it actually isn't yet, we still have another game
Tweet Topic

Bluesince62 replying to zxcv
02:00, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
zxcv
Would just like to say one thing other than good night, Is i think we all agree we have some real great kids for the future and this tournament has given us great hope for 2 years time and the next world cup in four years.

This, I've just got nothing but positive thoughts about the whole thing.
I've seen us cheated out of quarters, I've seen us batter teams in semi's and then lose on pens.
We were just beaten by the better side on the night, tonight.
We should have won it first half, didn't and paid the price against a quality, experienced side.
Up the feckin England.
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
Tweet Topic

spionkop replying to zxcv
07:46, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I think that these two teams were at opposite poles and that the Croation manager outthought waistcoat man. England relied on set pieces throughout the tournament to score and attacking wing backs to pump crosses into the box to score, in the same way. They were no good at open play, had no midfield creator to put telling passes through to some vey talented forwards, in the same way that Pogba has been doing for France, and had no plan B. Waistcoat man also decided to use Walker, who with the Blades, Spurs and latterly Manciteh, has been a superb full back as one of his back three where he was a nightmare and clearly couldn’t cope.
To counter this one dimensional system Croatia played open, creative football, played down both flanks, which negated our wing backs, who couldn’t defend, carved our defence apart and serviced brilliant forwards who were lethal in the box. Without the superb Pickford it could have been a cricket score for Croatia.
Disappointingly there was the usual arrogance by the media and the constant parroting of, “ It’s coming home “. We progressed because we had a lucky draw in the ‘B’ stream and began to look like world beaters by playing against a string of feeble teams, most of whom shouldn’t have been playing in the World Cup.
Tweet Topic

mr_crosby replying to spionkop
07:54, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I think that’s harsh. Germany, Argentina, Portugal and Brazil were all as fecking shit.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »