DES
11:54, Wed 8 Aug
Watched a programme on Beeb 1 last night, AGE BEFORE BEAUTY, it was such a brilliant advertisement for Manchester, great looking buildings and parks in outside shots and brilliant night time cityscapes, plus name and symbol for Manchester in numerous scenes, what an appalling disaster it was for Brum letting both the beeb and ITV move away from here.
If it wasn't for Steven Knight & Peaky blinders we would feature on prime time TV less often that Bath or Barnstaple.
I love my City, BUT we genuinely are the worst marketed city in the world!

KRO
Oops that`s a bit over the top! suppose Baghdad & Damascus just edge us into third place!
11:55, Wed 8 Aug
DES
Brum is back on Amazon.

Great car
12:15, Wed 8 Aug
Cuckoo. Series on BBC starring Greg Davis set in Lichfield (Now on netflix) written by brummie writers and has a few birmingham, vile and wolverhampton, Solihull references :) It's a funny show.

One point he says to cuckoo - "do you mind, we have to cook on there (Kitchen surface)" and hands him a AVFC towell to sit his naked sweaty arse on :D Not sure if it was a dig or not.
12:17, Wed 8 Aug
DES
DES
What an appalling disaster it was for Brum letting both the beeb and ITV move away from here.

No-one let them leave. They just decided to go. Tosspots. Maybe Channel 4 will move here. Also BBC Three has a base in the city. It's the future, not terrestrial TV stations. But yeah I hate hte M@nc love-in with the BBC. Fecking appalling.
Outdoor scenes are filmed in Slough or somewhere like that I think.
12:18, Wed 8 Aug
Greg Davies is a Witton fan so it won't be a dig!!

hands him a AVFC towell to sit his naked sweaty arse on :D Not sure if it was a dig or not.
12:57, Wed 8 Aug
Cuckoo. Series on BBC starring Greg Davis set in Lichfield (Now on netflix) written by brummie writers and has a few birmingham, vile and wolverhampton, Solihull references :) It's a funny show.

One point he says to cuckoo - "do you mind, we have to cook on there (Kitchen surface)" and hands him a AVFC towell to sit his naked sweaty arse on :D Not sure if it was a dig or not.

Greg Davies is a known DVB
13:21, Wed 8 Aug
Well , let's examine the known facts .... born in Wales , says he's from Shrewsbury ( I seem to recall ) BUT , and it's a big BUT , he was 13 in 1981 .... typical glory hunting DVB
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
13:27, Wed 8 Aug
DES
We may be badly marketed , but I am sad to say we are falling behind too. I went into Liverpool en route to the Lakes and I have to say it was brilliant. The Liverpool One centre and the various regenerated docks knocked Brindley place and the New Street development for six.
DES
14:23, Wed 8 Aug
Haircut1000
DES
What an appalling disaster it was for Brum letting both the beeb and ITV move away from here.

No-one let them leave. They just decided to go. Tosspots. Maybe Channel 4 will move here. Also BBC Three has a base in the city. It's the future, not terrestrial TV stations. But yeah I hate hte M@nc love-in with the BBC. Fecking appalling.
WE should have enticed them to stop here though, thats my point, terrestial TV may not be the future buts its deffo the present!
Love Island got 3million viewers for finale! so free to view still massive influence on popular culture!

KRO
13:10, Thu 9 Aug
DES
Des, the BBC upped sticks to M@nc of their own accord. It was and is a disgrace that a publicly funded broadcaster can, at a whim, make or break a city. That's pretty much what it amounted to when they shut Pebble Mill in 2005. The spurious reason was the building had asbestos.

More info here: [www.skyscrapercity.com]

Warning: it'll make your piss boil.
13:15, Thu 9 Aug
Haircut1000

i *heart* skyscrapercity forum. it's a really good place to check out what people think of the buildings i work on
13:16, Thu 9 Aug
I have always had what i thought to be an irrational hatred of him, but now its clear and justified
13:18, Thu 9 Aug
A_n_E
Haircut1000

i *heart* skyscrapercity forum. it's a really good place to check out what people think of the buildings i work on

What buildings are you working on? Any chance of some talls fit enough for a SECOND city?
13:34, Thu 9 Aug
Kimber
What buildings are you working on? Any chance of some talls fit enough for a SECOND city?

99% of the stuff i do is in london (and i'd rather not say on here) although i am doing a bit on paradise. the problem with tall buildings in brum is the airport and flight paths. beetham tower (by pagoda island) was until recently the tallest a building could go to in brum due to the airport however i think that may have changed recently with the glenn howells apartment building on broad street.

also a bit of polishing my own trumpet as it were is that a recent project of mine is currently down to the last 49 buildings in the list for the stirling prize
15:29, Thu 9 Aug
A_n_E
Kimber

99% of the stuff i do is in london (and i'd rather not say on here) although i am doing a bit on paradise. the problem with tall buildings in brum is the airport and flight paths. beetham tower (by pagoda island) was until recently the tallest a building could go to in brum due to the airport however i think that may have changed recently with the glenn howells apartment building on broad street.

also a bit of polishing my own trumpet as it were is that a recent project of mine is currently down to the last 49 buildings in the list for the stirling prize

Cool stuff mate! Yes heard about the CAA too but look how close London City airport to Canary Wharf is! Just hope MODA gets built ASAp
DES
16:31, Thu 9 Aug
Haircut1000
Des, the BBC upped sticks to M@nc of their own accord. It was and is a disgrace that a publicly funded broadcaster can, at a whim, make or break a city. That's pretty much what it amounted to when they shut Pebble Mill in 2005. The spurious reason was the building had asbestos.

Warning: it'll make your piss boil.
Haircut
I would guess there has been five or six series on the beeb set in manchester since they moved there but in all the years in brum cant think of one long running series that featured our city!
How the FCUK will we ever change the rest of the countries perception of us without some TV exposure!

KRO
16:41, Thu 9 Aug
DES
DES
but in all the years in brum cant think of one long running series that featured our city!

doctors. been on the beeb for 18 years and does loads of filming around edgbaston, harborne area.
17:02, Thu 9 Aug
DES
but in all the years in brum cant think of one long running series that featured our city!

Doctors
Citizen Khan
Peaky Blinders
Crossroads
Brum
Rosie & Jim

We have a terrible inferiority complex here in Birmingham and I believe that is why this city is often overlooked and looked down upon more than the fact that everybody else hates us.
17:04, Thu 9 Aug
DES
The rot goes back to 1974 when the counties were redefined.
BCC capitulated to the boroughs in agreeing to the West Midlands brand. Manchester council fought for the greater Manchester brand much to the chagrin of Wigan Bolton Oldham Rochdale Stockport and Bury.
40 years on that’s all forgotten and the younger generations largely accept their address.
In another 50 years Manchester will be generally accepted as the 2nd city imo, thankfully I’ll be long gone.
Great post btw it does my fecking head in too.