11:55, Tue 11 Sep
Pigeon
This thread is a like a UKIP rally
Who’s comments in particular?
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
13:25, Tue 11 Sep
I don't agree with Jonathan Lieuw on this one, although he is a talented writer.

She was out of order, of course she was and it does feel like her ego has got ahead of her. The sh1t from others she has had to endure to get to where she is, has left it's mark seems a fair assessment to me.
13:53, Tue 11 Sep
Scoobers

That's pretty spot on, that.

I'd throw this in the mix, too. Admittedly, it looks quite old and, as we all know, people can change. But this doesn't seem to back-up everything she claims to have been standing for: [twitter.com]

Although, she now has a baby [not sure if you knew], so maybe that's changed her...
14:20, Tue 11 Sep
A_n_E
she does look rather masculine though. it's not mysoginistic. just as some men look feminine (waves at oldham).

Honestly I think she's beautiful. Venus not so much. But I really always found Serena to have great curves, a little more toned than I like but decent.

Rather than being masculine I think she had simply manage to (get this for a quote) divert a body athletically that was heading for obesity. Clearly they ate a lot growing up if you've ever seen the non tennis Williams sisters.

So for me just a sporty nice looking woman.

All this makes the fact that I hate her after this latest outburst much more difficult to get through
14:34, Tue 11 Sep
Yeah, like Chris said, that looks right. I'd probably go for Serena was out of order but the wider game needs to sort it's act out too.
14:38, Tue 11 Sep
The irony being that she is benefiting hugely from sexism in her favour - the fact that she is being paid far more than many men who are much better at tennis than her. She is paid according to her gender first, then her ability, when in any walk of life, you should be rewarded purely on merit, with no regard whatsoever to gender, colour, etc.
14:53, Tue 11 Sep
European Bob

When I was growing up the aim was for equality, where we judged people based on their actions and words rather than their gender, race or anything else.

snort
15:00, Tue 11 Sep
They don't have mixed tournaments so that argument doesn't stand up. She's the top of her sport so you'd expect her to be paid more than a bloke who doesn't win anything.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
15:14, Tue 11 Sep
So by your logic, top women footballers should be paid more than Everton men’s players because they never win anything? Despite the fact that Everton players are vastly superior at their job?
15:20, Tue 11 Sep
No, what I'm saying is each case is different. You can't call Serena overpaid because in her sport, she's top dog. If she was playing men who were paid less, you might have a point, but she doesn't.
Thongs
15:42, Tue 11 Sep
The Independent, says it all really.
Dong Ren Out.
15:46, Tue 11 Sep
number8
No, what I'm saying is each case is different. You can't call Serena overpaid because in her sport, she's top dog. If she was playing men who were paid less, you might have a point, but she doesn't.
His point stands about top Women’s footballers earning less than average players at Walsall as an example.
Same with women in many sports
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
15:56, Tue 11 Sep
Yeah, I think it works against women more than it advantages them.
Thongs
16:32, Tue 11 Sep
I think it should come down to the biggest draw. Everton men will pull in more money, than the women, so there's more money chasing the services of the men.

If they had to pay them the same, I think it would be the end of women's football.

It should work the same way with Tennis, whoever is pulling in the most money, should be paid the most.

I'm not expert, but a quick look tells me a men's match is 3 out of 5 sets, and the women's is 2 out of 3, so if they are getting the same pay, the women are already being paid the most per work done.
16:41, Tue 11 Sep
number8

IMG did some analysis a couple of years ago on tennis revenues, TV spectatorship, advertising revenues etc.

BY FAR the biggest revenue generators in tennis were Serena, Federer and Sharapova in that order. So by the Premier league argument (i.e. that the pie should accrue most to those than generate it), Serena should be the highest paid person in tennis, bar none.
16:44, Tue 11 Sep
That’s kind of my point. Every case does appear to be different, it shouldn’t be. Equality based on merit without any regard to gender, race, colour, etc., should be a fixed principle applied universally and consistently across the board, not compromised by however powerful political pressure groups are in different areas. Also, do you think that Park Sung Hyung (top dog in her sport of Golf) should be paid more than say Ian Poulter/Jon Rahm, because they have not won a Major? It appears to me that Serena benefits way more than most women in sport because of the pressure groups involved in tennis, interested only in advancing their particular grouping rather than any sense of equality. If they really wanted equality they would be campaigning to have mixed tournaments. But no, that would put Serena out of earning a living. It’s just the hypocrisy of her playing the sexism card when she is benefiting from a gender bias more than anyone it seems. If
16:59, Tue 11 Sep
The womens game is different to the mens game, its the same sport but a different event. You sound like you just want the women to go away as most of the men would win games against nearly all the women purely due to physical differences, meaning there would be no womens sport at all. That might be equality in your eyes but it might look a bit churlish in others.
Thongs
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
number8

IMG did some analysis a couple of years ago on tennis revenues, TV spectatorship, advertising revenues etc.

BY FAR the biggest revenue generators in tennis were Serena, Federer and Sharapova in that order. So by the Premier league argument (i.e. that the pie should accrue most to those than generate it), Serena should be the highest paid person in tennis, bar none.
That’s not how prizemoney works in individual sports. Unless you’re saying Serena or Federer should get more prize money than anyone at the US Open even though neither won?
17:15, Tue 11 Sep
number8
The womens game is different to the mens game, its the same sport but a different event. You sound like you just want the women to go away as most of the men would win games against nearly all the women purely due to physical differences, meaning there would be no womens sport at all. That might be equality in your eyes but it might look a bit churlish in others.
It’s a different event of an inferior standard in many people’s eyes, that’s why equal prize money is questioned