09:10, Wed 10 Oct
notts_blue
It's Mental Health Awareness day today.

Maybe an opportunity for some people to have an actual look into what it's like dealing with mental illness, or supporting someone who has a mental illness.
Good point. Can’t see it happening though
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
DES
10:06, Wed 10 Oct
it does seem odd that people like carrick or Jonathan Trott who are living the lives that us mere mortals can only dream about, actually suffer depression, however clearly they do.
Im one of those lucky types who never get down about anything but realise now its just the way I`m wired compared to others!
My Dad always thought that hard work was the best way to lift you out of feeling down, Im not trying to say iots a cure for everyone but its certainly worked for me.

KRO
11:01, Wed 10 Oct
DES
It's a bit more than 'being a bit down' about stuff DES, we all get that, even the happiest of clappers do.
We're talking a real mental illness here, which depression has finally been recognised as, not really something that a nice hot cuppa, a good stiff walk or throwing yourself into your work can really address, I wish it were so.
12:36, Wed 10 Oct
True, but I reckon a lot of people who say they have depression don't have what you're describing.
12:39, Wed 10 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
notts_blue
It's Mental Health Awareness day today.

Maybe an opportunity for some people to have an actual look into what it's like dealing with mental illness, or supporting someone who has a mental illness.
Good point. Can’t see it happening though

Good article here from the BBC, Charlie Adam, for anyone wanting to read.

[www.bbc.co.uk]
12:41, Wed 10 Oct
👍
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:44, Wed 10 Oct
Interesting that. Sounds like a bit of a dig at Pulis, but obviously we don't know the full picture.
14:58, Wed 10 Oct
True, but I reckon a lot of people who say they have depression don't have what you're describing.

I don't doubt it, but it's the way that some seem to just assume everyone is doing that, that's a bit shit.
15:15, Wed 10 Oct
Radio 4 7.15
No need to thank me
Interestingly Des, hard and stressful can be the cause of depression for a lot of people. So probably not all that sage as advice goes.
I was watching a programme about mental health issues in Sport on Sky last night, it was predominantly aimed at cricketers like Hick, Ramprakash, Trescothick who had had well publicised issues. But they did get the opinion of people from other sports, pretty much universally they agreed that mental and psychological support was crucial and a great leap forward in modern society and sport.

Until they got to Laura Davies, who said it was a load of old crap and that if anybody had ever tried to offer her psychological help or support she would have told them to shove up their bollix. Charles Colville looked aghast - because it went against the whole basis of his programme, but she just shrugged and said "Soz, but it's nonsense as far as I'm concerned".

Fair play to them for leaving in the one dissenting voice though.
Hard and stressful work that should say.