12:02, Tue 9 Oct
Tony Hancock
So, I wasn't having a go, I'm just suggesting that a bit of perspective might make him feel better.

That's not how depression works.
12:10, Tue 9 Oct
Harsh.

Depression and it's causes are vast - when it's not treated it can lead to the end for some; male suicide is the biggest killer of men under 50 in the UK.
12:12, Tue 9 Oct
I got depression really badly in 1999, since then little things can trigger it off. I cope most of the time, work full time, run my own business but the flip side I reckon 50% of days I consider the other options, run away, suicide.

Apparently figures say 1 in 5 people have this mental illness, that is high especially when you can imagine how many people keep quiet due to ridicule, embarrassment.

12:13, Tue 9 Oct
Yes Rab, No 8, Rev & Jacques. I've had this same argument with my son, whom I also annoy. I chemical imbalance, I think he said (could be wrong).

I'm not having a go at someone for opening up about how they feel.

Equally though, I do feel that people who compare their own lives to a multi millionaire's, and consider themselves to have far better reasons to be depressed than they do, shouldn't be expected to shed too many tears.
12:14, Tue 9 Oct
"My point is anyone can say they are depressed or think they are when in fact there life situations just crap."

What an odd thing to say.
Is there not enough love in this world to try to sympathise and empathise with other people no matter what their background or privilege?

Material things are great, money does make life easier. People who say otherwise are deluded. It doesn't mean I can't feel lucky to not walk around with a cloud over my brain every day, something that others have to deal with no matter how rich.
12:26, Tue 9 Oct
Does he actually say it was depression? Seems like more of a lingering regret than depression from what he says...
For the Last American Buffalo
Because words dazzle in the dizzy light of things
and the soul is like an animal–hunted and slow–
this buffalo walks through me every night as if I was
some kind of prairie and hunkers against the cold dark,
snorting under the stars while the fog of its breathing
rises in the air, and it is the loneliest feeling I know
to approach it slowly with my hand outstretched
to tenderly touch the heavy skull furred and rough
and stroke that place huge between its ears where
what I think and what it thinks are one singing thing
so quiet that, when I wake, I seldom remember
walking beside it and whispering in its ear quietly
passing the miles, the two of us, as if Cheyenne or
the lights of San Francisco were our unlikely destination
and sometimes trains pass us and no one leans out hard
in the dark aiming to end us and so we continue on
somehow and today while the seismic quietness of
the earth spun beneath my feet and while the world
I guess carried on, that lumbering thing moved heavy
thick and dark through the dreams I believe we keep
having whether we sleep or not and when you see it
again say I’m sorry for things you didn’t do and
then offer it some sweet-grass and tell it stories
you remember from the star-chamber of the womb
or at least the latest joke, something good to keep it
company as otherwise it doesn’t know you are here
for love, and like the world tonight, doesn’t really
care whether we live or die. Tell it you do and why.

Steve Scafidi
For the Last American Buffalo is reprinted
It's nice thought. I couldn't say. I can confirm there's not much that comes my way. Perhaps it's being prioritised.
12:36, Tue 9 Oct
miamivice79ish
"My point is anyone can say they are depressed or think they are when in fact there life situations just crap."

What an odd thing to say.

Its not. Like i say i know people who think they are depressed because their job is shit or their mrs has left them. So they then either go off work or take pills.

The terms getting threw around by every man n his dog last few years far too lightly.

Granted this could just be my work place and friends. Could all just be isolated to me and not reality.
13:02, Tue 9 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
I'd say perspective is hard to find when you’re depressed, otherwise people wouldn’t be depressed

Precisely this.

Clinical depression isn't about feeling miserable, it's about irrationality. A depressed person falls into irrational thought patterns that make it difficult to shake off negative feelings and emotions in the way a non-depressed person does, thus fueling a vicious circle of miserableness.
13:06, Tue 9 Oct
Marstonblue
How can i help? My lifes pretty shit and so are many others. But im not ill. I understand fully people are suffering bad.

My point is anyone can say they are depressed or think they are when in fact there life situations just crap.

To add on my above post, 4 of my mates are off because its easy to get signed off from work. Not depressed at all.

No doubt you’ve got a point and there are people who are quick to say they suffer from depression when they might feel a bit down every so often, or people who claim they suffer from anxiety because they tie themselves in knots when going for a job interview, or (the worst offenders IMO) those who say they have OCD because they like a tidy house. I’ve suffered from all three, have taken medication for a long time (having tried coming off it on a few occasions, only to lose my mind) and have tried various forms of therapy, and so I’m fully familiar with what a genuine mental health condition actually is and it how it impacts an individual and those around them. It really ain’t nice.
Tony Hancock
It's nice thought. I couldn't say. I can confirm there's not much that comes my way. Perhaps it's being prioritised.

That's sad to hear, particularly how it's made you feel. I would genuinely recommend you go and talk to people about it. I hope it gets better.
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
Tony Hancock

That's sad to hear, particularly how it's made you feel. I would genuinely recommend you go and talk to people about it. I hope it gets better.

Ha ha ha. Thanks very much. Did you hear that scoobs - more moaning from me required, it's medicinal.

Seriously though, I know what my issues are, and there's nothing anyone can do. Thanks all the same, though.
If you feel helpless and without option then you should talk to someone.
13:50, Tue 9 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
I'd say perspective is hard to find when you’re depressed, otherwise people wouldn’t be depressed

Precisely this.

Clinical depression isn't about feeling miserable, it's about irrationality. A depressed person falls into irrational thought patterns that make it difficult to shake off negative feelings and emotions in the way a non-depressed person does, thus fueling a vicious circle of miserableness.

👏
@Bluewurst1875
14:19, Tue 9 Oct
He does have a book to sell. All (or any) profits from the book will go to his foundation to support under privileged kids in the north east. Morally complex world...

Just in passing, a lot of people say they are depressed when they are rather down, in my experience (not direct but from people who I know have suffered from it) it is a hugely debilitating illness which prevents anyone from living a decent life. As i’m Not Carrick’s Doctor I don’t know what the case is here, but the description shouldn’t really be used lightly.
15:05, Tue 9 Oct
It's a difficult one.

I think we all suffer from depression, anxiety etc at some point in our lives, so it's good to talk about it and let each other know that you're not alone when going through it.

But, there is a line when it does look like some people are just self-pitying, feeling sorry for themselves and attention seeking.
Dong Ren Out.
15:06, Tue 9 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
Tony Hancock
I can't help but suspect that if he swapped lives with most, if not all of us, he'd feel worse.
This thread is symptomatic of the reasons people are wary of speaking out and getting stigmatised.
Well feckin done

They're just bloody ignorant, I just hope they don't have the misfortune of it happening to them or someone close to them so they see its effects fully and understand it properly.

A mistake a work can be a classic trigger, it can spiral quite easily into depression in some people. You fear making another mistake, you take less risks, you underperform which brings greater scrutiny from your bosses, colleagues or in his case fans. You fear their reaction even more because it is in the forefront of your mind, you fear actually going into work, you then fear being able to support your family, pressure increases and all the while you feel more and more down every day until you are unable to get out of bed.
15:39, Tue 9 Oct
Currently still in bed. Most depressing SHA thread ever.