European Bob
Marstonblue
Bluestaines
e17blue
Do brentford give everything away?

No. We overpaid for Jota, Dean and Colin.

I think opposite. We got good deals on all 3. I ve seen much worse players go for much more.

All 3 would now go for more than we paid for them

Jota was 6.5m
Colin was 3m
Dean was 2m

Not bad really, when you consider villa paid roughly the same for Scott Hogan.

When you put like that... Three players better than Scott Hogan for the price if Scott Hogan.

Do remember though that Scott Hogan is part of the vile's promotion ready attacking line up.
06:37, Fri 12 Oct
LH_4
Slightly Turbid
Is that vile squad really that good? I keep reading on here that they just need a good manager to sort them out but they had one of the best in the business at getting up from the Championship and he failed last season and couldn't get close with this season's depleted squad. Sure Bruce carries some responsibility for the summer recruitment but that squad is unbalanced and has a lot of dead wood in it. It clearly needs an overhaul and as already discussed is threadbare at the back. I think it is a very tall order to get that squad promoted this season especially when you look at how Leeds, Boro, Sheff Utd et al have improved and with the likes of WBA coming down the league is arguably tougher than last season whilst vile are definitely weaker.

The squad is very top-heavy, but I think the below would do a job in any of the teams mentioned above if fully-fit, IMO of course.

Albert Adomah
Yannick Bolasie
Ahmed El Mohamady
Jack Grealish
Conor Hourihane
Mile Jedinak
John McGinn
Tammy Abraham
Anwar el Ghazi
Scott Hogan
Jonathan Kodjia

The defence looks cack on paper, but Smith has shown at Brentford that he can get teams playing as a unit. Vile are better man-for-man in Midfield and attack than Brentford. Much, much better. With that team, I think that it wouldn't be a great achievement if he turned it around and got them promoted.

The only worry for them is that cloggers like Jedinak will do a job in a Bruce team, but they aint gonna play nice football on the floor. Still think they've got some decent passers of the ball so it'll all come down to how much they adjust to his style.

I don’t dispute they have some good players, I don’t dispute that SOME of those players could fit in comfortably to leading championship clubs. I do dispute that all of those attacking players could do that and I do dispute that all of those attacking players together is the right blend and balance to get promoted and finally I especially dispute that that defence is good enough to get a team promoted because it isn’t and even if an unfit JT can crow bar himself back in that’s not going to change.

My original point was about vile having a promotion ready squad but for the right manager being accepted by most even though its not true.

I see nothing here to change my mind.
08:32, Fri 12 Oct
TinaTractor
The best bit of this is them making themselves look stupid again.

Henry rumoured to be agreed ‘rather have him than Smith’

Faria rumoured to be agreed ‘rather have him than Smith’

Smith signs ‘he is one of our own’

Weird.

i've even had some of them tell me that smith was their preferred choice from the start 😂
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
08:43, Fri 12 Oct
I'm quite intrigued by this. On one hand I think Villa have made a very smart move in appointing a manager with a decent track record, who knows this division, and is Villa through and through. However, I think they've fecked this right up already by the appointing JT as his number 2.

It's systematic of Villa's delusion they they still think JT actually gives a toss about their football club. He used Villa for one last fat pay cheque, just as he's using them now to step up into management. I suspect he is "miffed" that Frank Lampard beat him to it, but I'm positive he has no intention of being with Villa long term, he's biding his time for the right job at Stamford Bridge.

How this plays out, only time will tell. I too can see only a problematic relationship between Smith and Terry. In JT as number 2 (how apt) I think Smith already has a pretty big albatross around his neck before he has even started his regime. I might be wrong, but I just can't see Terry's ego and arrogance being prepared to play second fiddle to Smith. The players I suspect will listen to Terry rather than Smith (because most of them know him) making Smith's position pretty untenable from the start.

Feel this is the new Villa owners "Zola moment".
09:35, Fri 12 Oct
I give it 6 months before their delusional fans are calling for their heads

Theres something rotten at that club and its the fans, Mr O'Leary described them in the most politest of ways, utter c**** the lot of them

KRO sotv
12:29, Fri 12 Oct
BLUESdownunder
I give it 6 months before their delusional fans are calling for their heads

Theres something rotten at that club and its the fans, Mr O'Leary described them in the most politest of ways, utter c**** the lot of them

KRO sotv

Did he really say that?

First time i heard that one.
13:51, Fri 12 Oct
Didn't he call them fickle?? Hence the bedsheet. Rings a bell.
14:39, Fri 12 Oct
B13blues

Or was it "feckwits"?
TinaTractor
The best bit of this is them making themselves look stupid again.

Henry rumoured to be agreed ‘rather have him than Smith’

Faria rumoured to be agreed ‘rather have him than Smith’

Smith signs ‘he is one of our own’

Weird.

i've even had some of them tell me that smith was their preferred choice from the start 😂

One goon on vile talk was commending the club for keeping everything under wraps. 😂
15:57, Fri 12 Oct
I have had 3 different vilers telling me the same thing today i just agreed and said it was a coincidence that there first choice was the only one who haden’t dropped out. Spawny spawny feckers.
16:08, Fri 12 Oct
Has the dvb smith got any promotions under his belt with other clubs?
12:43, Sat 13 Oct
Nope - think he just missed out on the play-offs with Walsall
12:54, Sat 13 Oct
Chatting with the neighbour who is a viler (but also a decent bloke) and he agrees they dodged a bullet with Henri, thinks also JT could backfire (unless he gets his boots on) and also thinks Smith will get more time as he is 'one of them'.
I think he's right and they might have accidentally got the right bloke in charge - shame.
Told me they are reopening the Trinity? stand as it'll be a sell out now Bruce has gone.

Even the decent ones can't help it 😀
13:08, Sat 13 Oct
steve aerobic
Dean Smith with JT at number 2.

Thoughts on the new Vile management team....
Does anybody actually click on links in your signature? I wonder. Listen to A New Man by Rob Roy Fellows #np on #SoundCloud
[soundcloud.com]
16:29, Sat 13 Oct
B13blues

We're not fickle, we just don't like you iirc.
14:57, Sun 14 Oct
Terry Henry might be french but at least he's got some intelligence.
19:43, Sun 14 Oct
lentini2001
Terry Henry might be french but at least he's got some intelligence.

And sense of honour and decency. You can't inflict taking that job on your children. Rowett would
09:37, Mon 15 Oct
Hank Marvin
steve aerobic
Dean Smith with JT at number 2.

Thoughts on the new Vile management team....

If Smith is as “successful “ at Villa as he was with us he will be sacked 9 th and 10 th finish in 2 full seasons in charge.More than acceptable for us but our even owner would have been wanting at least play offs this season.
lol they are a funny bunch aren't they.

Smith was certainly 3rd choice, Both Henry and Faria turned the job down.

For some reason they were determined to get Terry as no.2 which isn't ideal for any manager.

Henry could afford to turn it down as he knows there are many clubs that will take a gamble with him - and on his terms.

Faria has decent credentials and will get other offers if and when he wants to return to management.

Dean smith will know his stock is high at the moment and may never get an offer of this financial gain again in his career,

All It would take is a bad turn at Brentford and all the hype would disappear so he snapped their hand off.

John Terry is an arrogant, lying, racist, cheating scumbag and I can see him been a right c0ck to work with unless its his way.

Bruce is a dinosaur but he was 90 mins from getting them up last year and i think if the fans got behind him they wouldn't be far off this year.

He knows how to get out the league, Neil Warnock is a dinosaur and see what he done second half of season for Cardiff he knew how to grind out results to get out the league the style of football was 2nd.
10:07, Mon 15 Oct
He knows how to get out the league, Neil Warnock is a dinosaur and see what he done second half of season for Cardiff he knew how to grind out results to get out the league the style of football was 2nd.

Warnock didn't have half the resources Bruce used, fans don't normally mind the style of football if it means they get promoted which is where failed.