Just can’t see it working out long-term, or even short-term (I guess I could have just said ‘not working out)

Notice the news reports today are all ‘John Terry has taken up the assistant manager role at vile, oh and some chap called Smith is the manager, but back to JT’
"Don’t hang about here, its decidedly unhealthy"
08:56, Thu 11 Oct
JCL
Over the last 12 months eleven Championship Football Clubs have changed their manager.

Smith had not been considered for any of those jobs. Says it all really.
08:57, Thu 11 Oct
Blue_since_62
Over the last 12 months eleven Championship Football Clubs have changed their manager.

Smith had not been considered for any of those jobs. Says it all really.

Car crash appointment
09:00, Thu 11 Oct
JCL
JCL
Just can’t see it working out long-term, or even short-term (I guess I could have just said ‘not working out)

Notice the news reports today are all ‘John Terry has taken up the assistant manager role at vile, oh and some chap called Smith is the manager, but back to JT’

You only have to see Dr Xia's tweet to realise what a effing circus they really are.

No Welcome Dean Smith Best Wishes etc. This nonsense:

@Dr_TonyXia
I believe JT has everything to ‘grow ‘ to be a great manager one day. Get the unfinished business done! #UTV

Cant believe Smith agreed to it. I hope Richard O'Kelly tells him to shove his First Team Coach role up his arse
09:00, Thu 11 Oct
I think, as others have said on here, that your success at Brentford is largely down to a superb infrastructure and recruitment strategy, rather than inspirational coaching. Vile, on the other hand, is a basket case of a football club, rotten to the core from top to bottom and it will take a very strong, determined, bloody-minded bastard of a character to go in there, knock heads together and get them all pulling in the same direction. They've been in gradual decline since Ron Atkinson left, with a brief respite when they let Martin O'Neill run riot with the chequebook, paying Champions League salaries on mid-table revenues.

That's nearly 25 years of decay that needs to be cut out and replaced. The task has destroyed more experienced managers than Dean Smith, so he's got a hell of a job on his hands. The fact that he's a DVB will delay the time before the other DVBs get all toxic on him, he's one of their own, but being hampered by FFP will not help him at all.

Interesting times...
09:11, Thu 11 Oct
Oh please !

Don't let your hatred of a club blind you to the qualities of the people employed there.

As I said, he took a bunch of no-hopers at Walsall and made them into something.

At Brentford he worked with people who spotted players who hadn't played to their potential and again turned them into something.
Brentford are experiencing more success than they have ever done in the modern era under the regime that Smith helped create.

And for all that we may rightly scorn the way his team played against us last week, we'd also kill for the kind of development he's helped bring on at Griffin Park, and wouldn't we secretly love a CF like Maupay who got under opposing players' skins and scored goals. Oh that Che could be half as nasty.

However, just like Hodgson at Liverpool and England, he's entirely the wrong person at the wrong job
09:15, Thu 11 Oct
"A good man" '; not my words, but tweets of the Bees' chairman.

If you can say that about a manager whose left in such circumstances, that must say something.
I'd fecking despise Maupay at Blues. Horrible little prick. I begrudgingly accept that cheating is part and parcel of the game now but Maupay is more a cheat than he is a footballer.
December 7 2018, about vile:
TrevorFr​ancisTrackSuits
I'd be surprised if they lose another game this season
09:23, Thu 11 Oct
Terry didn't help their defence much last season, both in terms of playing or passing on his experience to his colleagues.

Re the fixtures they have got coming up, whilst they don't look too easy they are 6 pointers that could greatly improve their league position (sadly).
09:25, Thu 11 Oct
North Yorks Blue
Oh please !

Don't let your hatred of a club blind you to the qualities of the people employed there.

As I said, he took a bunch of no-hopers at Walsall and made them into something.

At Brentford he worked with people who spotted players who hadn't played to their potential and again turned them into something.
Brentford are experiencing more success than they have ever done in the modern era under the regime that Smith helped create.

And for all that we may rightly scorn the way his team played against us last week, we'd also kill for the kind of development he's helped bring on at Griffin Park, and wouldn't we secretly love a CF like Maupay who got under opposing players' skins and scored goals. Oh that Che could be half as nasty.

However, just like Hodgson at Liverpool and England, he's entirely the wrong person at the wrong job
Brentford did as well or better under Warburton.
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
Jim
09:27, Thu 11 Oct
… and just for information, Smith didn't help create the Brentford regime - it was all up and running a long time before he arrived.
09:29, Thu 11 Oct
North Yorks Blue
we'd also kill for the kind of development he's helped bring on at Griffin Park,

I thought we had a good development policy at Blues now?
Smith is a little, smelly, bacon faced tw*t. You’ve got to have Terry as your assistant “yes guv” if you don’t get us up Terry will probably take your job “yes guv” “smashing guv” if you’re still here in the summer your transfer budget will be zero and you’ll have to sell your best players and you’ll get all of the blame “lovely, thanks for that guv” you’ll have to teabag Grealish under the table every morning at Bodymoor whilst he’s eating his breakfast. “Of course guv, I’ll keep his little but surprisingly smelly balls spic and span guv” “thanks for the opportunity sir” this will all end in tears. As usual.
Jim
09:31, Thu 11 Oct
Smith is a little, smelly, bacon faced tw*t. You’ve got to have Terry as your assistant “yes guv” if you don’t get us up Terry will probably take your job “yes guv” “smashing guv” if you’re still here in the summer your transfer budget will be zero and you’ll have to sell your best players and you’ll get all of the blame “lovely, thanks for that guv” you’ll have to teabag Grealish under the table every morning at Bodymoor whilst he’s eating his breakfast. “Of course guv, I’ll keep his little but surprisingly smelly balls spic and span guv” “thanks for the opportunity sir” this will all end in tears. As usual.

I thought it was Terry's job to keep 'ickle Jacky Greaseball happy?

They already have a special relationship.
09:33, Thu 11 Oct
Hoof hearted?
Terry didn't help their defence much last season, both in terms of playing or passing on his experience to his colleagues.

The thing about what a great leader and influence Terry was on their defence, and about how he used his experience to benefit them - is no more than a myth in my opinion.

I'm not surprised villa fans have fallen for it and slavishly repeated it, because they are thick. But I am a bit surprised other people have fallen for it so easily.

Whenever I saw them play he just put himself as far away from the ball or any danger as possible and shouted at other people to deal with it. He also did that thing he'd become ridiculed for at Chelsea where - every time he realised he was about to get rinsed for pace, he would pretend to fall over and take himself out of the firing line. He did that in the game against us at their place, when Gallagher ran clear only for the ball to hit the post and stay out.

If people call that using your experience, then fine. I call it trousering one last pay day.

It could have been justified had they got promoted I suppose...but they didn't.
09:40, Thu 11 Oct
Perhaps the thing we are all missing is the appointment of Pitarch as Sporting Director who has links to Mendes. We can look forward to them being loaned all the bright young Portuguese things that Wolves sign in January.
09:42, Thu 11 Oct
It is worth noting Pitarch left Valencia in a shocking place which Marcelino has turned around.

He left one of the biggest clubs in Spain in 17th midway through the season.

His biggest success is bringing Forlan and Jose Antonio Reyes to Atleti Madrid.
09:44, Thu 11 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
North Yorks Blue
Oh please !

Brentford did as well or better under Warburton.

That is true re Warburton
09:46, Thu 11 Oct
Jim
Mark Warburton had quite a lot to do with setting up the Brentford regime when he was Director of Football. With hindsight, he should have stayed in that role, rather than wanting to be a coach. Nottingham Forest destroyed his career - maybe Vile will do the same to Deano?
Jim
09:46, Thu 11 Oct
The whole process was totally shambolic.

Heaven knows who at villa thinks it's a good idea to take three people who've probably never even met each other and throw them together as the management team in charge of a football club that's arguably already in a big mess.

They should have appointed a DoF/Sporting Director first, before even sacking the previous manager, then he could have helped choose the best candidate as Head Coach. Only then should they have got round to discussing who might fill the role of Assistant, taking full account of the wishes of the new Head Coach.