321ByelzdarB
JCL
Just can’t see it working out long-term, or even short-term (I guess I could have just said ‘not working out)

Notice the news reports today are all ‘John Terry has taken up the assistant manager role at vile, oh and some chap called Smith is the manager, but back to JT’

You only have to see Dr Xia's tweet to realise what a effing circus they really are.

No Welcome Dean Smith Best Wishes etc. This nonsense:

@Dr_TonyXia
I believe JT has everything to ‘grow ‘ to be a great manager one day. Get the unfinished business done! #UTV

Cant believe Smith agreed to it. I hope Richard O'Kelly tells him to shove his First Team Coach role up his arse
O’Kelly has already left
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
Beesman
Hoof hearted?
How much did they pay Brentford?

About 1/2 million

How much will he be buying that young centre half for in January?

Turned down big money in January for Mepham more than Villa could afford and he wants a PL club that Villa aren’t
10:01, Thu 11 Oct
Smith's a good manager. Would have him at Blues, if it wasn't for the fact he's a proper DVB. His brother has been in a few battles with Blues over the years!!!

I'm surprised/satisfied that O'Kelly hasn't come across with him, and that Terry has been given the assistant role. I rate O'Kelly, but Terry is an unknown at this type of role, and I could imagine will be on serious £££s. Let's hope the Smith/Terry partnership fails though.
the king loves me
10:02, Thu 11 Oct
Hoof hearted?
Terry didn't help their defence much last season, both in terms of playing or passing on his experience to his colleagues.

really? you only have to look at this season's defensive record comapred to last to know that's not true.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
10:04, Thu 11 Oct
Jim
Absolutely, indicative of the mess they are in. Another gamble in a long line of gambles. They haven't got many more rolls of the dice left. Lets hope this turns out as badly as many on here predict.

The league is shaping up to be as competitive as ever with a lot of good strong teams in the division going for the top 6. The vile have got a lot to do between now and May to be in the Prem. A lot.
10:06, Thu 11 Oct
That's also due to Elphick being loaned out and Jadinak playing there instead.

And the keeper.

Not sure JT playing there this year would ameliorate that much.
10:09, Thu 11 Oct
Elphick was only a bit part player anyway, but yeah. last year's keeper was good for them and by all accounts the bloke we looked at and they signed has been bloody horrific.

The Jedinak at centre-half thing is ace, Bruce deserves full credit for that.
10:11, Thu 11 Oct
Slightly Turbid
That's also due to Elphick being loaned out and Jadinak playing there instead.

And the keeper.

Not sure JT playing there this year would ameliorate that much.

elphick was s**t, admittedly the keeper is a big step down, but let's not pretend terry wasnt a very good player for them last season and had a huge effect on the pitch for them.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
10:16, Thu 11 Oct
Elphick aside, I'm not pretending that (about Terry), I don't believe it was that true either. He was good but he wasn't all the difference between then and now.

Moving Jedinak to centre half has been a double whammy as its removed his cover in the midfield which undoubtedly protected the defence.
10:17, Thu 11 Oct
Fact is they've signed a very good manager who also supports the club, and also a man who has very strong potential as his assistant. After Zola had gone I'd have been delighted to have seen this combination at Blues.

Whether they'll deliver what their fans want is unknown, but probably unlikely. But I can see why there would be some cause for optimism.

Ultimately, for me, beating the Vile in front of their new management team will be all the more rewarding.
10:29, Thu 11 Oct
Fact is they've signed a very good manager

Wasn't Paul Lambert a " very good manager " after getting Norwich promoted to The Premiership ?

We know how that one ended.
10:29, Thu 11 Oct
Slightly Turbid
Elphick aside, I'm not pretending that (about Terry), I don't believe it was that true either. He was good but he wasn't all the difference between then and now.

Moving Jedinak to centre half has been a double whammy as its removed his cover in the midfield which undoubtedly protected the defence.

Again, I agree.

I honestly do think the Terry, Captain - Leader - Legend thing was massively overblown. You are spot on about the Jedinak thing as well. Last season he just sat in front of their defence kicking stuff and heading stuff. That made a big difference. They were set up very defensively in general.
Blue_since_62

Wasn't Paul Lambert a " very good manager " after getting Norwich promoted to The Premiership ?

De Matteo won the Champions League.

Ditto.
10:47, Thu 11 Oct
Blue_since_62

I was thinking exactly that. Remember the six-toers gleefully taunting the Norwich fans during a game at Carrow Road when it had become clear that their talented and successful young manager Lambert was going to leave them and move to a 'big club'? That all ended rather well, didn't it?
11:09, Thu 11 Oct
" Very Good Mangers " are normally touted by football clubs.

Apart from Vile, who else was after Smith ? Again, says it all really.
11:22, Thu 11 Oct
I think it's the most sensible appointment they could've made. Villa fans are notorious for whinging and getting on the backs of the manager quite soon, but all that "One of our own" garbage will see that he has a settling-in period and probably buy him a few weeks at least.

Lets face it, it wont take a footballing genius to get that Villa team promoted. Just needs somebody to organise that back four and give their players (Some of the best in the league) the confidence to play, rather than the toxic relationship between Bruce and the Vilers.

The JT decision is really strange though. Smith must be a complete 'Yes man' to not only be happy with being 3rd/4th choice but also allowing them to shoe-horn a man into a role who has no previous experience of working with DS. But with that said, will the JT circus deflect all of the attention and allow Smith to quietly do what he appears to be good at, coaching on the training ground?

As Le Mod said the other day, through being rejected by ridiculous targets, by default they've ended up with the best person they could've IMO. Warburton may have played a part, but he bought some of the Walsall lads with him and under his stewardship they also lost Jota, Colin and Dean and have still looked like one of the best footballing sides in the league.

Can't stand the DVB but I think he's a really good appointment.
11:30, Thu 11 Oct
Is that vile squad really that good? I keep reading on here that they just need a good manager to sort them out but they had one of the best in the business at getting up from the Championship and he failed last season and couldn't get close with this season's depleted squad. Sure Bruce carries some responsibility for the summer recruitment but that squad is unbalanced and has a lot of dead wood in it. It clearly needs an overhaul and as already discussed is threadbare at the back. I think it is a very tall order to get that squad promoted this season especially when you look at how Leeds, Boro, Sheff Utd et al have improved and with the likes of WBA coming down the league is arguably tougher than last season whilst vile are definitely weaker.
Bruce should have won the league with that Hull team he scraped up from 6th with. He ain't all that in this league.
11:34, Thu 11 Oct
DVB already doing as he"s told Yes sir No sir you will have kkk Terry start as you mean to go on LOL .KRO
11:35, Thu 11 Oct
Here is the first team squad:

Keepers
André Moreira
Mark Bunn
Ørjan Nyland

Defender
James Bree
James Chester
Alan Hutton
Micah Richards
Neil Taylor