Fat Buddha
DES , as we speak I am machining a gearbox output shaft for Aston Manor Brewery .... RIP Doug , a DVB but a good sort .... I hope we have a minutes silence for the old scrote and I hope it isn't spoiled by morons

The best way to keep it respectful is not to have it all.
. Sad but undoubtedly true
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
12:06, Thu 11 Oct
Ellis also told Carson Yueng to do one when he tried to buy the vile, unlike Sullivan who sold us up the river to that conman.
Southside Blue
DES , as we speak I am machining a gearbox output shaft for Aston Manor Brewery .... RIP Doug , a DVB but a good sort .... I hope we have a minutes silence for the old scrote and I hope it isn't spoiled by morons
I hope we don’t have one.
There’s been far more deserving who haven’t had a tribute to them. If you’re really bothered you’d go to his funeral
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:19, Thu 11 Oct
I don't think we should have one. Why would we?

I don't think he came across as a nice or decent bloke either.

Admittedly I never met him personally so I am going on public persona and my perception of.

I'm not going to slag the bloke and didn't wish him dead but he isn't someone I feel Blues should have a silence for. villa should show him respect, that would be proper for them.
12:21, Thu 11 Oct
Southside Blue
I hope we have a minutes silence for the old scrote and I hope it isn't spoiled by morons

Nah.
12:23, Thu 11 Oct
Just make sure there's 3 minutes added on max, problem solved.
No future.....
12:25, Thu 11 Oct
Villa couldn't have a minute's applause in the 94th minute though, could they? That's around the time they're usually scoring their spawny equaliser.

I've posted this on here before, but for the benefit of relative newbies, I once missed a golden opportunity with Doug: I was sitting in my house at Coleshill, quietly watching TV when I saw the old fecker go strolling past the house. A neighbour of mine was a Tory Party activist and Doug had been visiting to discuss something. I ran to the front window and there, just by my drive, was a Rolls Royce, registration AV1. It'd been there for a while and I'd had ample time to slash the feckin' tyres or piss in the petrol tank. I shall regret this oversight for the rest of my life... 😢
12:28, Thu 11 Oct
ὅν οἴ θεοί φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνήσκει νέος. -Menander
Fair enough, mourn the man but if there was a minutes silence at St. Andrews in honour of an ex-Villa chairman I would walk straight out.
12:57, Thu 11 Oct
Ginja Ninja
Fair enough, mourn the man but if there was a minutes silence at St. Andrews in honour of an ex-Villa chairman I would walk straight out.

he was ex-blues chairman too
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
13:01, Thu 11 Oct
I don't think he was chairman at Blues was he?

I stand to be corrected because it's before even I remember, but I thought he was briefly on the board but left when he realised he wasn't getting the power he was after.

I think he was also briefly involved with Derby on the same basis?
13:05, Thu 11 Oct
As many have said, a true gentleman who did a lot for football and charities. Unlike most club owners nowadays, he was in it for the right reasons and genuinely adored his club. A shame so many DVBs often gave him a hard time.
Too risky to mark his passing at our ground (sadly) but Blues should send a high level rep(s) and appropiate floral tributes to his funeral. Royal Blue, of course.
Respect.
A_n_E
Ginja Ninja

he was ex-blues chairman too
. Not too sure he was Chairman but was certainly on the board in the sixties . He also was involved at Derby and owned Birmingham Speedway in the fifties.
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
13:11, Thu 11 Oct
He was on the Blues board, never chairman.
Roj
13:23, Thu 11 Oct
I only ever "met" him when he drove passed me whilst I working on building the original New Street Station Shopping Centre. Waved like the Queen was arriving from his Roller, and I though who the hell go you think you are? I do remember him on the Blues Board and agree he quit when his ego wasn't massaged enough.
I offer a compromise to the minutes silence. He was with us 2 years: 20 seconds is enough.
13:30, Thu 11 Oct
Ginja Ninja

The bloke did more for the city than all of our owners combined.

Fought tirelessly against the political elite to get the national stadium relocated to Brum

In football for the right reasons, would never sell his club to criminals, too emotionally attached

I’ll have a tot tonight for Sir Doug
Twitter: @vivabrownie

Proven wrong on: N/A
13:36, Thu 11 Oct
He used to come in the pub I drank in then subsequently ran. Never bought the staff a drink and it was halves only for anybody with him. Probably why he's so wealthy.

Nice guy though. I know people who are quite close to him and he was still involved in charitable work until quite recently
What did the Knights in White satin?
14:01, Thu 11 Oct
Invented the bicycle kick you know? Or so he said anyway.

Re: Doug Ellis

14:15, Thu 11 Oct
Roj
Honestly think we respected him more than they did.

For those who know Viler, when they are reminiscing about the old bugger, remind them about the abject hatred he received from all corners of the sheds. They hated him and often wished the worst in him.

He knew it, and god rest his soul, he didn’t give a shit about it 😀
@Bluewurst1875
14:26, Thu 11 Oct
Director at Blues, director at Derby, chairman at Wolves.

Reminds me a bit of that line from the telly com-dram ELeven Men Against Eleven. Timothy West as the club chairman. "I value loyalty, and I have done at my six previous clubs."