For the last 10 years or so of his tenure at vile the villagers were hounding him out... now he is gone its time for them to show double standards as all that will be forgotten.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
14:31, Thu 11 Oct
That modest he named a stand after himself. RIP DD
14:35, Thu 11 Oct
Show some manners you disrespectful tossers !!

Bloke did loads for the Midlands

Dad dies when he was just 3 and his mum raised him and his little sister on her own .... and they were about as poor as you could be

He started as a milkman

For many of your older relatives their first holidays abroad would have been with his travel company

Always insisted on getting the best deal but never ever went bust on anyone, never cheated anyone

Gave £millions to charity - not hundreds of thousand, but £millions ... Cheshire Homes, MacMillan Homes, Leisure Centre at Bham University. Yes he was tight (never really ever spent any money on himself either apart from the Rollers) but he was so so generous as well

Doug Ellis Learning Hub at the University of Birmingham Medical School

Doug Ellis Sports Centre at Aston University

Many of you may be living in houses his building company built

Loved football

Served in the war

Secretly pays for all of Paul McGrath's "treatment"

Has passed on money to quite a few Midland players of yesteryear (not just Villa players)

Was part of the group who ensured clubs had properly monitored, accredited Academies

The list is endless ...... wish there were more like him
14:41, Thu 11 Oct
πŸ‘
14:42, Thu 11 Oct
PS ... can't wait to hear that creep Jonathan Fear gushing about him no doubt on the nearest radio station .... forgetting some of the awful awful things he said about him at other times

Re: Doug Ellis

DES
14:43, Thu 11 Oct
Ginja Ninja
Fair enough, mourn the man but if there was a minutes silence at St. Andrews in honour of an ex-Villa chairman I would walk straight out.
Dont turn the lights off though!

KRO
14:48, Thu 11 Oct
πŸ‘

When he was undercutting the major tour operators and allowing most Midlanders to be able to afford to go abroad on holiday for the very first time, he was so mindful of costs that the meals on the flights were batches of sandwiches that his mum had made the night before.

Don't think any of his clubs would have fallen foul of FFP !!

14:51, Thu 11 Oct
DES
Ginja Ninja
Fair enough, mourn the man but if there was a minutes silence at St. Andrews in honour of an ex-Villa chairman I would walk straight out.
Dont turn the lights off though!

KRO

Gawd no ... lovely generous honest decent hard-working bloke ..... but no silence needed at Stans.

.... and that applies to anyone else who didn't contribute to the club (or i suppose football on a national basis) in a massive way ... ie Royal Family, Politicians, Manchester victims of Terrorism etc
14:58, Thu 11 Oct
Here's some more stuff

South and City College Birmingham

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]

You are a bunch of disrespectful buggers ... you really are
14:59, Thu 11 Oct
Bham University

[www.birmingham.ac.uk]
15:00, Thu 11 Oct
QE Hospital

[www.facebook.com]
DES
15:10, Thu 11 Oct
He (Deadly) also came out with one of best quotes Ive ever heard, he said when he arrived in Brum he saw opportunities on every street corner, but never understood how so many people closed thier eyes to them!

Rip Sir Douglas Herbert Ellis, a true gent and genuine philanthropist!

KRO
15:18, Thu 11 Oct
Rags
Always insisted on getting the best deal but never ever went bust on anyone, never cheated anyone
Actually, Wolves went into liquidation when he was chairman. Owing us £200k for Joe Gallagher. The Bhattis then took the remnant over.
15:51, Thu 11 Oct
SOBLUE
As many have said, a true gentleman who did a lot for football and charities. Unlike most club owners nowadays, he was in it for the right reasons and genuinely adored his club. A shame so many DVBs often gave him a hard time.
Too risky to mark his passing at our ground (sadly) but Blues should send a high level rep(s) and appropiate floral tributes to his funeral. Royal Blue, of course.
Respect.

πŸ‘
15:55, Thu 11 Oct
Rags
Actually, Wolves went into liquidation when he was chairman. Owing us £200k for Joe Gallagher. The Bhattis then took the remnant over.

Not quite true

[www.lwarchive.londonwolves.com]
DES
16:00, Thu 11 Oct
good research Rags!

KRO
Fat Buddha
DES , as we speak I am machining a gearbox output shaft for Aston Manor Brewery .... RIP Doug , a DVB but a good sort .... I hope we have a minutes silence for the old scrote and I hope it isn't spoiled by morons

The best way to keep it respectful is not to have it all.

No real reason for us to have one. Yes he was on the BCFC board and a shareholder at one point. But he owned and put the majority of his money into another club, not ours.
Does anybody actually click on links in your signature? I wonder. Listen to A New Man by Rob Roy Fellows #np on #SoundCloud
[soundcloud.com]
16:15, Thu 11 Oct
GingerBen
Passed away aged 94

Mrs Marvin used to work at Vile.

She says he was losing his marbles 20 years ago, he'd watch a VHS of a match in his office, lying down on the carpet on his stomach. A few other gems but can't remember them. I'll ask her for DD's obituary later
Does anybody actually click on links in your signature? I wonder. Listen to A New Man by Rob Roy Fellows #np on #SoundCloud
[soundcloud.com]

17:29, Thu 11 Oct
Rags
Here's some more stuff

South and City College Birmingham

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]

You are a bunch of disrespectful buggers ... you really are
Decent people die daily. Blues don’t honour them all. Nor should they.
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
17:32, Thu 11 Oct
Yep. Hypocritical, fickle tossers. Just seen them on the news, queuing up to say what a great man he was, how they owe him everything and how he was villa, through and through.
Neatly forgetting the absolute dogs abuse they gave him whilst hounding him out of the club.
Vile, vile, chunts.