12:37, Thu 11 Oct
The Leeds owner has called for talks on a 2nd premier League

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I think if done properly it could revolutionise football in England, I believe we could increase income for tv rights etc and allow more money to be shared amongst members rather than the elite few.
I would propose 2 divisions of 16 teams
Both divisional champions would play off to become overall English champs
Teams placed 2-6 would play off for Champions League places /Europa League slits.
Teams placed 13/14/15/16 in each League play off to decide relegation with two teams relegated from each League, this meaning more teams promoted from below and getting a chance to gain a financial windfall.
The extra play offs would ensure interest in the season right to the end for most teams.
I believe it would mean more English players playing top flight football thus helping our international aspirations
12:56, Thu 11 Oct
Actually not a bad idea.
13:16, Thu 11 Oct
Be tough to implement though. How do you decide which teams start in the Premier League/s and which don't? Even if we just keep to the current Prem and Championship teams

NORTH:
Newcastle
Boro
Man Utd
Man City
Liverpool
Everton
Leeds
Sheff Wed
Sheff Utd
Hull
Preston
Bolton
Blackburn
Norwich
Stoke
Forest
Derby

SOUTH:
Wolves
Blues
vile
WBA
Leicester
Watford
Ipswich
Swansea
Cardiff
Reading
Bristol C
Southampton
QPR
Fulham
Millwall
Arsenal
WHU
Tottenham
Chelsea
Palace

Do the FA just pick favourites? Or is there a way of establishing it that I'm missing?
nothing on the outside nothing on the inside
13:34, Thu 11 Oct
16 teams to few current championship sides would play 14 less games a season. Not a fan of North South either just play the same teams year in year out.

Why does the premier league have to be a separate entity Anyway. It’s success was built on TV coverage which would have happened anyway.. Just share the money a bit more evenly all through the structures The top league would still get the most. The game would be better served by having one authority running it especially with FFP issues and the like.
13:37, Thu 11 Oct
I agree. The horse has already bolted.
13:43, Thu 11 Oct
Knowing our luck. This would be created just as we're relegated to the third tier.
Alum Rocker
Just share the money a bit more evenly all through the structures.

And this is why it will never happen.

The top teams don’t want to share the money, they want more.
14:16, Thu 11 Oct
Both divisional champions would play off to become overall English champs

LOL, ok mate
Noel Blake's Headbutt
Alum Rocker

But the not-top clubs know that they are more likely to drop from £100m to £8m than they are to rise from £100m to £200m.

Gartside at Bolton was pushing this a decade ago because he knew they were forever walking the tightrope.
14:29, Thu 11 Oct
Given our performance overall since relegation this won't affect us anyway, be the final nail in the coffin for the football I used to love.
bluearmyfaction
Noel Blake's Headbutt
Alum Rocker

But the not-top clubs know that they are more likely to drop from £100m to £8m than they are to rise from £100m to £200m.

Gartside at Bolton was pushing this a decade ago because he knew they were forever walking the tightrope.

Even now they ALL try to get as much as they can. Once upon a time when a team got promoted at the first attempt, the second and third year parachute payments got shared between the Championship clubs. A couple of years ago the PL voted to stop that so they kept the money themselves - now they split it between the top 20.

None of them will be interested in a lesser share from the trough.
01:05, Fri 12 Oct
I hadn't quite thought that far ahead, it just seemed a good idea at the time, I appreciate your input, gives me something to ponder, although it will never happen whilst the TV money's keeps rolling in for the elite

Little Miss Bliss
Be tough to implement though. How do you decide which teams start in the Premier League/s and which don't? Even if we just keep to the current Prem and Championship teams

NORTH:
Newcastle
Boro
Man Utd
Man City
Liverpool
Everton
Leeds
Sheff Wed
Sheff Utd
Hull
Preston
Bolton
Blackburn
Norwich
Stoke
Forest
Derby

SOUTH:
Wolves
Blues
vile
WBA
Leicester
Watford
Ipswich
Swansea
Cardiff
Reading
Bristol C
Southampton
QPR
Fulham
Millwall
Arsenal
WHU
Tottenham
Chelsea
Palace

Do the FA just pick favourites? Or is there a way of establishing it that I'm missing?
Seed everyone by blocks of 4 based on the previous year's position each season. 2 going into each league, so the league is balanced and has a different make up of teams each season.

You obviously start with the top 32 in the pyramid.

Anyway, it's a stupid idea and it won't happen.
Anyway, it's a stupid idea and it won't happen.

Saved me writing it.
11:16, Fri 12 Oct
Sorry, not a fan. Why / how would this benefit the game?

Establishing the Premier league in the first place has, in my opinion, been detrimental to the English game - why would a Premier League 2 make it any better, Richard Scudamore's personal bank account would be the only benefactor as far as I can see.

Best thing that could happen moving forward would be for Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea to feck off to some stupid "European Super League" that they all secretly want. Might give us a chance to re-establish some level of parity in the English game.

Just day-dreaming I know.....