11:58, Fri 12 Oct

Looks the billix
I didn't realise Mugabee was from Yorkshire until I read his name backwards
12:01, Fri 12 Oct
Fancy that
"People are so complex you should know by now"
12:09, Fri 12 Oct
Love the way they kept reinventing themselves, can currently be seen on SHA as poster Rowett and DB
12:17, Fri 12 Oct
Scoobers
Love the way they kept reinventing themselves, can currently be seen on SHA as poster Rowett and DB

Harsh.

...Laurel and Hsrdy were actually funny...
12:32, Fri 12 Oct
Comedy Gods. I hope the film does them justice.
12:34, Fri 12 Oct
Fair point
12:46, Fri 12 Oct
I saw them l the Aston Hipp. memory tells me I saw the Ollie in the bed sketch. When they came on the audience stood and cheered and cheered.
12:49, Fri 12 Oct
jimmysinger
I saw them l the Aston Hipp. memory tells me I saw the Ollie in the bed sketch. When they came on the audience stood and cheered and cheered.

You saw Laurel & Hardy in the flesh ?!?!
13:08, Fri 12 Oct
Shouldn't have split with Roach, they ended up at a massive studio and became part of the system.

They didn't like the way modern studios worked + I think Laurel wanted more control and then age took its toll.

Still produced some great films during their career
13:38, Fri 12 Oct
jimmysinger

Wow. I doff my cap to the only person I am aware of who has achieved this.

I am the only person I know, in my little bubble, that has seen Frank Sinatra live.

NB: if anybody else has seen ‘Old Blue Eyes’ live, keep it to yourself. I don’t want to know!!
"People are so complex you should know by now"
13:46, Fri 12 Oct
Pot Noodle

Looks the billix
Best thread on here for ages.
Will be a pleasure to see.
The box set is being opened this afternoon now.
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
14:04, Fri 12 Oct
[m.youtube.com]

Just watched this. Stan Laurel has fantastic timing!

Interesting to read about the person who saw them live - read up about them and was amazed to see the snippet that Olle’s father was wounded in the American civil war.
15:06, Fri 12 Oct

Would've loved to have seen these live, bit before my time though 😞
15:40, Fri 12 Oct
Eric Morecambe didn't want to do the sketches where him and Ernie shared a bed until somebody reminded him it was good enough for Stan and Ollie.I still watch them,my sons watched them and i'll make sure my Grandkids watch them.
17:11, Fri 12 Oct
Linked Image This chap always made me laugh as well 🤣
17:24, Fri 12 Oct
Eric. Cried my eyes out when he died. Those were the days.
17:36, Fri 12 Oct
B13blues
Linked Image This chap always made me laugh as well 🤣
James Finlayson. One of the greatest ‘support’ characters ever.
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
17:43, Fri 12 Oct
What year was that? I didn't even know they came to England, did their career flop?
I didn't realise Mugabee was from Yorkshire until I read his name backwards
17:56, Fri 12 Oct
They toured Europe quite a lot at the end of their careers as their careers tailed off a bit, though didn’t really flop. Stan Laurel seems to have been the more driven of the two but seems like he was a good man. Here’s a touching excerpt from wiki

On September 9, 1953, their boat arrived in Cobh in the Republic of Ireland. Laurel recounted their reception:

The love and affection we found that day at Cobh was simply unbelievable. There were hundreds of boats blowing whistles and mobs and mobs of people screaming on the docks. We just couldn't understand what it was all about. And then something happened that I can never forget. All the church bells in Cobh started to ring out our theme song "Dance of the Cuckoos" and Babe (Oliver Hardy) looked at me and we cried. I'll never forget that day. Never.
17:58, Fri 12 Oct
They played The Birmingham Hippodrome 1n 1947, 1952 & 53 They did the Aston Hippodrome in 1954 on their last British Tour.

A chap called Charlie Hall played parts in many of their films. Hall came from Erdington and there's a pub named after him just off Erdington High Street.