DES
10:43, Sun 4 Nov
Greatest defender I’ve ever seen in my lifetime, tonight on BBC 2 @ 6.45.
Must see TV for those of us lucky enough to have seen him, and even more so for those who never had that privilege.
An absolute Gentleman, yet a real blokes bloke,Looked as if he could have played in a dinner jacket, but could tough it out with the best of em.
Not the greatest ever England player, that imho was Sir Bobby Charlton obe, but greatest skipper for sure!

Kro
Isn't he a KBE if he's a sir?
11:26, Sun 4 Nov
DES
Thanks for the heads-up, Des. I agree with you. Any historians of the beautiful game, would surely have these two legends right up there at the top, with the World’s best. Both gentlemen and great human beings.

I think both would be as good in the modern game. Moore showed such composure on the ball, and could pick a good pass forward. Playing out from the back would be ideal with him in your team.

Imagine Sir Bobby taking shots with the modern lightweight ball. His power; technique and accuracy would be a nightmare for even the very best goalkeepers.

PS you can also watch our Ladies today at 12.30pm on the red button. Unfortunately they are away at Arsenal, who are head and shoulders above the rest this season in WSL1. They will have to play a lot better than our men yesterday, to have any chance.
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
Rev, he had his obe first, don’t think you lose it if your knighted.
Kro
Wasn't Bobby Moore in with the East End gangsters? Not convinced he was a gentleman. He just didn't have the same amount of press all over him. Indeed they were in with the gangs too.

I bet Raheem Sterling is ten times the man Bobby Moore was but will be remembered by the older generation as a degenerate as the papers told them so.
DES
Rev, he had his obe first, don’t think you lose it if your knighted.
Kro

Pretty sure it gets replaced, Des. It is a higher accolade. A General doesn't want to alse be known as a captain. Its moving up the hierarchy, superceded.
Sorry Rev, that’s a very strange post. Of course, East End gangsters would have wanted to meet Bobby Moore. They were Hammers fans, and he was their captain for over 10 years.

The Raheem bit is also very weird. And irrelevant.
Wasn't Bobby Moore in with the East End gangsters? Not convinced he was a gentleman. He just didn't have the same amount of press all over him. Indeed they were in with the gangs too.

I bet Raheem Sterling is ten times the man Bobby Moore was but will be remembered by the older generation as a degenerate as the papers told them so.
My word rev, this is the weakest wind up ever posted on here, Bobby was a bit of a womaniser and a phenomenal drinker, but gangster?
Never heard that one, you should have added he drew up the plans for Hatton garden heist before he died!
Pretty common knowledge he was in those circles, Des. Believe he owed a bit.

Also I'm pretty sure womaniser is an antonym of gentleman, anyway.

Raheem 1 Moore 0
12:12, Sun 4 Nov
DES
Des, Bobby Moore SHOULD have been knighted but he wasn’t, as far as I know. Just an OBE.
Sir Alf; Sir Bobby Charlton; Sir Geoff..... 3 of the 1966 WC winners were knighted but the captain was overlooked. Senseless.

Most of my drunken posts are shite, but they don't get close to the weird shiteness of this post.
Bobby Moore was a great player, one of the best ever.

Tell me why he's a gentleman.

Then tell me why Raheem Sterling, the guy who ran out and bought his mom a house, isn't.
Bobby Moore was a loyal geezer to his pals, he also liked to shag a bird and have a proper tot sometimes with geezers who were handy. Makes him a top old school bloke in my eyes. At the end of the day footballers should be judged on what they do on the park and he was one of the best ever, held aloft our country’s only World Cup. I don’t really know what sterling has got to do with anything bobby Moore related charce but I’m sure he’s not perfect in everyone’s eyes off the park either.
12:29, Sun 4 Nov
No Roger, Sterlings the better man because he's black and a bit effeminate.
To be fair, I just pointed out that I think the idea that he was a gentleman was probably false and you have effectively been my witness on the matter.

You effectively angrily agreed with me.
Ricky Blotto
No Roger, Sterlings the better man because he's black and a bit effeminate.

Bit weird, mate.
To be fair, I just pointed out that I think the idea that he was a gentleman was probably false and you have effectively been my witness on the matter.

You effectively angrily agreed with me.
Never angry charce. Most of his contemporaries that knew him, to a man all stated that he was a top bloke and a “gentleman” I never knew him personally, nor did you. but from the accounts I’ve read about his life I think I’d have liked him. Maybe you wouldn’t? Who cares? I’m going for a spot of dinner at me old moms now with me old man who’s just been let out of the green.
I think I would have liked him. I like loads of people I wouldn't describe as a gentleman.

A modern player womanises and drinks he is torn to pieces, an old school player does it and he's one of us. Just think it's a bit odd.
I think I would have liked him. I like loads of people I wouldn't describe as a gentleman.

A modern player womanises and drinks he is torn to pieces, an old school player does it and he's one of us. Just think it's a bit odd.
It’s not odd Tev, just changing times. I remember when we were in the old third we played a London club, they came into the D club and bought two rounds of beer which they drank in seconds then took our crates that they had pre ordered onto the coach!
The manager possibly Lenny someone? Paid for it in cash!
That’s the way it was.
Kro
15:01, Sun 4 Nov
DES
DES

It’s not odd Tev, just changing times. I remember when we were in the old third we played a London club, they came into the D club and bought two rounds of beer which they drank in seconds then took our crates that they had pre ordered onto the coach!
The manager possibly Lenny someone? Paid for it in cash!
That’s the way it was.
Kro
Who is Rev?
And a bloke pays cash for a bar bill in the early 90's shocker!
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'