15:24, Mon 5 Nov
number8
"Hard luck son" - M Dennis.

Different level, obviously. Zico never played against Mark Dennis, otherwise he could have got rinsed as well...

On a similar note, somebody I know told me they heard Mark Walters - I think on Talkshite. Plugging his book. Asked who his toughest opponent was, reckoned it was Dennis. Said he never once got a penny change out of him. Made me smile that did.
15:29, Mon 5 Nov
😁
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
15:34, Mon 5 Nov
DES
One of the greatest players that I ever saw. Pele’s remark that he was the best defender that he ever played against is a fitting tribute.
Res gestas non elit ut nulla omnino deficiat.
DES
15:37, Mon 5 Nov
Tributes dont come any higher than that!

Have you ever seen the move for Englands fourth goal in world cup, its awesome and all down to Mooro!

KRO
16:07, Mon 5 Nov
DES
DES
Tributes dont come any higher than that!

Have you ever seen the move for Englands fourth goal in world cup, its awesome and all down to Mooro!

KRO

I’ve seen that 4th goal so many times, Des, but only last night did I see the full build-up to it. It was fascinating to hear fellow pros analyse it. The chest down deep in his own box, in the last minute of a WC Final, then the delay whilst he checked for Hurst to be alert and in position were audacious. His pass incredible. I doubt I will ever see such cool and accomplished play by another CB in my lifetime.
16:11, Mon 5 Nov
DES
DES
I had the priveledge of seeing him play Easter Saturday @ stans 1973! We were on a great home run and had beat Man U & Liverpool, But Mooro was just too good for Trev latch & bob Hatton on the day, it ended 0.0.
However two years later it was him, alan mullery the keeper mellor & bloody john Mitchell who came out on top in the match that can not be mentioned!
Kro

Rip bobby you were the best of the best!

Stop mentioning Fulham it still effing hurts
sheffield blue
Wasn't meant to be cryptic, just making the point that 'Sir' Trevor Brooking has been knighted and not Bobby Moore.

One was quite good England international 47 caps and the other lifted the world cup and played 108 times for England, I know who I think was more deserving!

Brooking was knighted for his services to sport, not for what he did as a player.
Bobby Moore’s

He was no Colin todd
@Bluewurst1875
06:58, Tue 6 Nov
DES
No need to guess DES - this information is readily available!

[en.wikipedia.org]
DES
07:47, Tue 6 Nov
Yes I know lowercase, but I’m old fashioned I like to use my noggin!
Kro

Here’s a thing, the other members of the 66 squad who didn’t play on the day? Anyone know them all without wiki, there’s just one I’m unsure about.
Springett
Arm field
Byrne
Milne???
Flowers
Hunter
Callaghan
Greaves
???
Eastham
Connolly

Who have I forgot?
Kro
08:36, Tue 6 Nov
spionkop
One of the greatest players that I ever saw. Pele’s remark that he was the best defender that he ever played against is a fitting tribute.

I'm not sure - Pele has form for nominating shite players as "the best" Including Nii Lampety & Nicky Butt.
Dictated but not read.

Louie Donowa
Louie Donowa
spionkop

I'm not sure - Pele has form for nominating shite players as "the best" Including Nii Lampety & Nicky Butt.

Said Lazaridis was the best player at the Confederations Cup, one year.
09:15, Tue 6 Nov
DES
Peter Thompson was in the squad I reckon...and no, I didn't Wiki it because you told me not to.
DES
10:52, Tue 6 Nov
Spike
Peter Thompson was left out of both 66 & 70 squad when it was reduced to 22, just remembered it was Terry Paine! Old saints player!
Kro
11:04, Tue 6 Nov
DES
Terry Paine, yeah.

I thought Thompson made the cut in 66 but if he didn't he didn't. He must have been unlucky though because I think he'd been playing quite regularly until not long before the tournament. He was probably a victim of the decision to go without wingers I suppose, thinking about it.

The World Cup squad was fated in many ways because quite a lot of the players were very new. People like Ball, Hurst, Peters, even Roger Hunt, Stiles and Jack Charlton really hadn't played many internationals - it just all came together.

That's without even mentioning the injury to Greaves.
13:36, Tue 6 Nov
It’s very odd that however we look back, that a player of the quality of Greaves was effectively dropped by Ramsey from his side. I was pretty young during his peak but saw him play enough to rate him amongst the best ever players England has produced (in my time). If he played for Man City now god knows how many goals he would get.

It’s odd looking back. Moore cut a very dignified figure but if we hadn’t won in 66, I wonder if he had been regarded as quite the player he is now. I really can’t remember his quality of performance other than the odd moment but in reality, I reckon we had overall better players in the team in 70’s when we didn’t qualify than we did in 66. Moore got high praise from a lot of people in the game so that suggests he was special, but I doubt many of the people praising him on this thread have a clear idea of his performances, other than the odd iconic moment. I certainly remember Norman Hunter more clearly. There was a fearsome defender who could pass the ball.

66 was actually the start of a turning point in the game when we got on the path of protecting players a bit better. Things certainly went our way. Playing at home in a 16 team tournament, no more impressive in the group than at many subsequent world cups but carried through by a world class player. Then a quarter final I can remember as being tough, changed when the Argentinian Captain was sent off for talking to him (that was a new concept to me then) about the violence one N Stiles was inflicting upon his colleagues. That fourth goal was a great move and perhaps the greatest moment in English football history, but it helped a lot that we were leading through perhaps the dodgiest goal I can remember in a World Cup Final. It helps to get the run of the ball.
DES
14:05, Tue 6 Nov
Newblue good summing up,
Ron Greenwood was supposed to have said about Moore `he turns it on when he is in the mood` meaning when a situation really motivated him.
My memories of him are looking immaculate for England and twice stopping Blues in our tracks once for west ham the second time painfully for Fulham.
In my eyes greatest defender this country has produced.

KRO
14:12, Tue 6 Nov
Paine made something like 800 apps didn't he?
15:01, Tue 6 Nov
I didn't really see Moore play, certainly not at his peak.

I read an article about (Wolves) Billy Wright a while ago, arguing that he was over-rated because he wasn't the best player in his position but fitted the image so got many of his caps based on that.

Greaves is one player I would absolutely love to have seen play, he must have been something completely else. people always say "oh well it was easier scoring goals backl then..." but the fact is that Greaves' scoring record was ludicrous - and nobody else was getting them at anything like the same rate.

For whatever reason, Greaves didn't fit Ramsey's plan and I honestly believe the injury was convenient in that it gave Ramsey the excuse to implement that plan. And hey, he won the World Cup so he deserves the credit for having the clarity of vision. We might have won anyway with Greaves in the side - we might not, we'll never know.

One thing that is clear from any discussion you hear about that World Cup and from what Greaves has said himself is that he was completely devastated by not playing in the later stages of the competition. He's said himself in the past that that was a lot to do with him losing the love for the game. Bobby Moore was a great mate of his and George Cohen was his mate from the age of 15. They both said that Greaves wouldn't even talk to them about the situation because he was too hurt.
15:03, Tue 6 Nov
TuttoCalcio
Paine made something like 800 apps didn't he?

Yeah, and pretty much all for Southampton.