15:13, Tue 6 Nov
Anyone know if it’s true or just anecdotal that Ramsey fell out with Blues over their decision to sell TF?
Res gestas non elit ut nulla omnino deficiat.
15:20, Tue 6 Nov
Don't know about that but I do remember TF's wife, Helen (RIP) gave an interview to the Guardian telling how her husband was lying awake nearly all night fretting about Blues. Sir Alf said he was expecting the family dog to have it's say.
15:26, Tue 6 Nov
spionkop
Anyone know if it’s true or just anecdotal that Ramsey fell out with Blues over their decision to sell TF?

He fell out with them over their decision NOT to sell Francis. I think that's pretty common knowledge - well amongst people who were about at the time anyway.

When he took over he recommended to the board that Francis and Joe Gallagher be sold to raise funds which he would use to completely rebuild the side. He made the case that it was the best thing to do in the long-term. The board agreed.

But then they went back on it because they got windy about the fan backlash if they sold Francis, so Ramsey told them there was no point him being there if his advice wasn't going to be taken and he went.
15:27, Tue 6 Nov
Greaves was the best finisher I’ve seen. He had sublime skills. Hard to square with the bloke on the box later. Like you say, it’s hard to know what would have happened if he hadn’t got injured.

Just looked his record up - 44 international goals in 57 games. Not bad! Only played 3 times after the World Cup and stopped playing at 26. A waste.
DES
16:00, Tue 6 Nov
yes spot on spike, when Jim smith did sell Trev, he replaced him with older players who did do a job for us but it didnt develop into anything special.

KRO
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
Bobby Moore was a great player, one of the best ever.

Tell me why he's a gentleman.

Then tell me why Raheem Sterling, the guy who ran out and bought his mom a house, isn't.

Incredible.
The Usual Suspect
I'm admiring the WUM, it's top stuff.
The Usual Suspect
18:48, Tue 6 Nov
Played until 31 in top football (West Ham).26? you must be joking.
19:42, Tue 6 Nov
Des sorry to dissolution you the greatest player produced by this country I give the man referred by Bill Shankly as a colossus Duncan Edwards.The frightening thing about it was that he would have been 29 years of age for the 66 World Cup.I reckon we would have had it sewn up by half time.
20:12, Tue 6 Nov
Retired from England. He was actually 27. Think he had got on the drink a bit by then.
DES
23:49, Tue 6 Nov
Bluesince42
Des sorry to dissolution you the greatest player produced by this country I give the man referred by Bill Shankly as a colossus Duncan Edwards.The frightening thing about it was that he would have been 29 years of age for the 66 World Cup.I reckon we would have had it sewn up by half time.
Sadly never seen him play but yes your right could have been the greatest but for Munich.
Kro
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
Pretty common knowledge he was in those circles, Des. Believe he owed a bit.

Also I'm pretty sure womaniser is an antonym of gentleman, anyway.

Raheem 1 Moore 0

Bet Moore didn’t have a tattoo of an AK47 on his leg though 😂
01:03, Wed 7 Nov
Bluesince42

A good post #42. I think Duncan Edwards was a player of similar (huge) potential to Bobby Moore but, sadly, we never got the opportunity to see his immense talent fully materialise. I’d liken it to the Coe v Ovett era, where you had two once in a generation greatest at the same time.

Personally, I think Bobby Moore was the greatest England player of all time..... but it could have been Duncan, had he survived Munich like Bobby Charlton. But then Charlton and Banks weren’t far behind. And Hurst and Greaves were up there,too. What a wonderful generation that was.
DES
12:24, Wed 7 Nov
Soblue, I really do think it was the combination of three greats
Banks
Moore
Bobby Charlton
& the formation that Alf Ramsey implemented to get the best out of his players
Cohen
Stiles
Hunt
Peters
were all good league players but international standard? I’m not so sure.
While
Wilson
Ball
Hurst
were international but not world class.
But together the whole was greater than the individual parts, hence we won a World Cup!

Kro
12:52, Wed 7 Nov
Bobby Charlton played a lot with both Moore and Duncan Edwards. He reckoned Edwards was the best ever. THough he was also a close personal friend of Charlton so maybe that tints his specs a bit.

Bill Shankly who saw them all reckoned Tom Finney was the best English player ever.

Depends whose opinion you trust I suppose.
12:56, Wed 7 Nov
DES
I have heard people like Greaves and the Charltons and Nobby Stiles say there were four World Class players who would have got in anybody's side.

Banks, Charlton, Moore and Ray Wilson.

Wilson was apparently a right player by any standards.
13:22, Wed 7 Nov
Ray Wilson was a fantastic player. Pure class.
DES
15:37, Wed 7 Nov
Spike, I remember him, (TRAy Wilson) yes calm and composed but not quite in the same stratosphere as the other three mentioned, think he never played after 67, dont think Cohen did either or Greaves!

KRO
15:52, Wed 7 Nov
DES
Just looked it up. It was 1968 he last played when he was 34, at which point a knee injury and Terry Cooper ended his England career.

Wilson was exceptional. Alan Ball was really good too. When he went to Everton they had a great side.