19:05, Tue 6 Nov
Our anthem is very special, not just because it's one of the few club songs that is a genuine set of words and tune but because of its origins.
It was personal to Harry Lauder who sang it during his distinguished music hall career as it was written in the aftermath of him losing his son on the Western Front. When you know that, the original words become even more poignant.

I can't be at St Andrews this Saturday but will try to set aside a few minutes at just before 3.00 to go through the words of KRO and as I do, remember all those who did not return to stand on terraces. Two great uncles lie 'in Flanders fields' and many of us have family members who have not returned from conflict.

For those of you at the game, may you sing our anthem with a special meaning this weekend, not just for 'the boys in royal Blue' but for all those who sacrificed so much.
19:11, Tue 6 Nov
👍 Lovely. Keep Right On.
19:28, Tue 6 Nov
did you know it was churchills favourite song and he played it daily in WW2
20:37, Tue 6 Nov
I didn't - thanks for adding to the story.

I used the words as a framework when I wrote the family's eulogy for my Dad - a lifelong Blues fan from Lozells - right in the heart of Villa territory but the family were and still are royal blue through and through including my son now living in Adelaide.

When we sing it slowly at the ground, there can't be a more stirring anthem - spine tingling!!
mad
20:42, Tue 6 Nov
Love to hear the slow version not heard it in a good few years, where it starts off quiet and gradually builds.

Used to be the main singers in Kop/Tilton corner who got it going but they've all scattered now
I can't stomach the sound of wind chimes to this day. They sound like lies.
20:50, Tue 6 Nov
Durham Blues

Imagine twenty odd thousand blues singing this; ie, properly
23:27, Tue 6 Nov
drpeter
When we sing it slowly at the ground, there can't be a more stirring anthem - spine tingling!!

Good, thoughtful posts, Dr P.
I do agree that the slow version would be particularly poignant at this special time.
I will be thinking of my Grandfather, from Edgbaston, who lost a leg fighting for our freedom. I will also be thinking of the many who served us so selflessly. No matter which team they followed.
DB
08:33, Wed 7 Nov
I'll always be incredibly proud that KRO is our club's anthem. It's history, versatility of meaning, the impact when sung right.
The Usual Suspect
10:01, Wed 7 Nov
DB
I would love to see the players join in as they walk out of the tunnel, how much would that get you pumped as a player a fan!
Great idea!! Add to that the management team as they walk along the touchline to the dugout.

It would add to an already great rapport between players, management team and supporters.

And what about the directors? It's the sort of thing the late owner of Leicester would have done?
10:10, Wed 7 Nov
drpeter
Great idea!! Add to that the management team as they walk along the touchline to the dugout.

It would add to an already great rapport between players, management team and supporters.

And what about the directors? It's the sort of thing the late owner of Leicester would have done?
I doubt it. Christ
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
10:13, Wed 7 Nov

No, it's the fans song. If the players wanted to join in off the cuff as we are all celebrating a win at the end of a game, great - but to orchestrate it?...feck me no. Then what? play it over the tannoy every time we score? Proper small time, all that is.
10:58, Wed 7 Nov
SOBLUE
drpeter

Good, thoughtful posts, Dr P.
I do agree that the slow version would be particularly poignant at this special time.
I will be thinking of my Grandfather, from Edgbaston, who lost a leg fighting for our freedom. I will also be thinking of the many who served us so selflessly. No matter which team they followed.
I will be thinking of my late Dad, Blues through and through from Alum Rock who flew in 405 squadron in the 2nd war and my lovely Mom,now sadly gone, whose birthday was the 11th of November. An Hay Mills girl.
I will never forget the first time I stood on The Tilton with My Dad and heard KRO .Spine tingling, stirring,emotional .
I somehow don't think " yippee aye fecking oh "is quite as meaningful somehow. !
11:40, Wed 7 Nov
I remember the first time I heard it, at the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough in 1956, the year that it became our anthem. It was the only game outside Birmingham that my dad took me to when I was young. It sounded great then and it still does.
12:19, Wed 7 Nov
Good post Doc.

Our anthem is one of few things that many other football clubs can be envious of. It pains me that so many of the fans in attendance sing it like they're in a rush to get to the end and heaven only knows where the clapping came from.
@stevanderman
12:21, Wed 7 Nov
I'll be thinking of my great grandad who lost his hand at the Somme, and my Grandad who lost an arm and a leg in Normandy in WW2.

Although that was just playing cards with the Americans...
JPMckeown90 on Cotts
...looked like the sort of guy who’d buy your mrs knickers from the car boot just to smell them.
DES
12:33, Wed 7 Nov
DB
DB
I'll always be incredibly proud that KRO is our club's anthem. It's history, versatility of meaning, the impact when sung right.
I love it but hate it being sung so frequently!
It’s so special! It’s a battle hymn and should be treated with reverence and care!
Sing it slow but sing it once only during a game.
Walk out to the middle, yes I would go with that👍
Kro
13:48, Wed 7 Nov
DES
Harry Lauder's "Keep right on" played at my dad's funeral. Met Alex Govan some years ago and had nice chat with him and his wife. He was offered a job running a pub in Plymouth when he retired but insisted it was painted blue and white. Top bloke. I asked him what he thought happened in 56. Very reticent to say the least and looked upset. Quickly moved on from that conversation. Lovely couple. R I P.
18:15, Wed 7 Nov
I was at my mate Al Hunter (Pitbull on London's Burning etc) funeral , Guard of honor from the Firemen in High Wycombe , his coffin was Blue with our crest on it, all went great until the end when they played the original Keep Right On , that's when all the emotions let go , a sobering and beautiful moment. There will never be a more appropriate anthem to fit The Blues , nothing comes close.