20:08, Wed 7 Nov
Well after a few years of trying most things I have had to bite the bullet and will be having a Hip operation.
Just looking for any advice from those that have gone through it.

I am having the skim operation implant as advised due to my (youthful years, Docs words not mine) age so that if or when this one fails in the future it will be much easier to have a full operation and the bone will not have been drilled.

I am waiting until after Christmas for a couple of reasons, dont want to miss the Blues Xmas games and as I own my own company it is the quietest time of year.

3 days in Hospital then told 6 weeks of re-hab. Just wanting to know how others have reacted and what was your recovery time for walking, driving etc was and has the pain gone? How long before you were back watching Blues or kicking a football.

TIA
KRO
Turn left when you get on a plane.
03:34, Thu 8 Nov
I thought hip op threads were a friday thing.
DES
VILLA WAS ABSOLUTELY TOP DRAWER,
Kro
07:07, Thu 8 Nov
Tilton shark
Well after a few years of trying most things I have had to bite the bullet and will be having a Hip operation.

I am having the skim operation implant as advised due to my (youthful years, Docs words not mine) age so that if or when this one fails in the future it will be much easier to have a full operation and the bone will not have been drilled.

I am waiting until after Christmas for a couple of reasons, dont want to miss the Blues Xmas games and as I own my own company it is the quietest time of year.

3 days in Hospital then told 6 weeks of re-hab. Just wanting to know how others have reacted and what was your recovery time for walking, driving etc was and has the pain gone? How long before you were back watching Blues or kicking a football.

TIA
KRO

I had a full hip operation around 18 months ago, it was the best thing i had done. I kept putting it off, but the pain was too much in the end and wished i had it done at least 12 months before.

To be honest i went through the private health scheme at work and was able to pick my consultant/surgeon, and it was only speaking to a guy a few years back who recommended this consultant and i made a mental note of his surname and after reading up about him, he was clearly one of the best in the Uk.

I was in hospital for 6 days and i did have 5 months off work < i had to have a bit of bone grafting as well > but to be honest i could have gone back after 3 months and was amazed i got 5 months off.

I don't think you can drive for at least 6 weeks, they get you up walking the next day, obviously small distance to start with and then the stairs.
I used to walk round our block i would say after around 3 weeks and was back on my bike around 2 months.

The main thing is do the physio.

The benefits are so rewarding, was up to 100 miles on my bike in the summer and did 3 stones concerts in 3 weekends in a row and all standing.

Best of luck.
PJ1
07:52, Thu 8 Nov
Have had both of mine resurfaced. The first was done privately in 2009 (aged 45) and the second in 2016 at the Royal Orthopaedic. I found the NHS to be far superior (apart from the food!)
Earlier this year I've had them xrayed and both have shown no signs of further erosion. I went with the resurfacing as there is an option to go full hip further down the line. Exercise wise, I do gym and swim mainly with no problems so crack on - you'll be fine!
"Too many protest singers, not enough protest songs"
DB
08:42, Thu 8 Nov
Had two total hip replacements. From memory, recovery time for me was around a month. It can vary with age, height, weight etc but generally it's 4-6 weeks.

Hospitals don't tend to keep you bedridden like they would've done in the past. After the first week or so you're encouraged to start regular, light exercises and getting used to the new joint. If yours isn't a total replacement then it'll be even less time than that.
The Usual Suspect
08:55, Thu 8 Nov
Check on the performance of the surgeon, and find out what he is using - PM me and I'll decipher outcome and recovery for you, am in the trade.
09:35, Thu 8 Nov
Thanks for all of the advice lads.

I am having it done at a private hospital (The Winfield in Gloucester) but the surgeon does both private and NHS like many do.

How do I find out his performance?
10:02, Thu 8 Nov
Ask his wife or girlfriend
10:04, Thu 8 Nov
Tilton shark

I am having it done at a private hospital (The Winfield in Gloucester) but the surgeon does both private and NHS like many do.

Hip advisor?
10:51, Thu 8 Nov
Valencia
Tilton shark

Hip advisor?
🤣🤣🤣👊👍
11:04, Thu 8 Nov
Bravo 👏
@Bluewurst1875
14:09, Thu 8 Nov
Tilton shark

TIA
KRO

It sounds like you are talking about having hip resurfacing. I had one in 2006. Never looked back. I was walking without a stick within 3 days. Cycling and doing most anything shortly after. Its a great op, you will be up and about in no time.
14:14, Thu 8 Nov
I had hip resurfacing just over 4 years ago. I found the biggest problem in recovery was the lack of sleep, as you cannot adjust your body easily to a comfortable position. Started working from home about 10 days after the operation, walk without crutches at about 5 weeks, and able to drive in 6 weeks. However, I made the effort to walk a couple of miles each day (from the 6th week after the op) to accelerate the strengthening of the leg, as we had an Egypt holiday approaching, and I wanted to climb Mount Sinai. 3 months to the day after the op, I climbed Mount Sinai, without any issue (apart from the lungs, gasping for breath!) - very satisfying, especially when you remembered all the limping around for a year before the operation, when you couldn't even play football with your son.
My advice would be to take heed of the physiotherapist's advice on doing the little stretches/exercises during the first six weeks of recovery. After initially relying totally on crutches, after about 3/4 weeks, gradually use the leg a bit more as well as the crutch in your stride (my physiotherapist advised this and showed me how), so that when you eventually walk without the crutches (after 5/6 weeks), it is not such a big deal. I went to a football game after about 7 weeks no problem. I wanted to go to one at 4 weeks, and could have walked the mile okay with crutches, but thought better of it with crowds, etc.
I'm very glad I had it done, can walk for miles and climb mountains without issue, but there is one problem; I was a fairly keen runner, but now I can get away with one run, but when I run again a couple of days later, I get the hip pain, which can last for a week. So I no longer run, but I replaced this with regular brisk walking (often up the many steep coastal hills here in Torquay) and cycling.
14:47, Thu 8 Nov
Yep its hip resurfacing, looking forward to being able to kick a football again as at the moment the thought of kicking it knowing what the pain is like stops me 100%.

Cheers lads thanks for taking the time.
14:55, Thu 8 Nov
That's how I found out I had a hip issue, playing football with my work colleagues. I was running okay with a mild discomfort, but when I stretched my leg out to make a tackle, something gave way, and I couldn't put all my weight on it afterwards, hobbling through the rest of the game. I thought it was just a minor injury that would go away after a few days, but it didn't. And then it played up more when I tried to jog. It got gradually worse, and thought I'd better get it checked out, by which time it was severe, and had to be operated on that month. That's why climbing Sinai was very satisfying/emotional, as I thought those days had gone forever.
Anyway, it's nothing to worry about, and you won't regret it.
16:50, Thu 8 Nov
Just to add, for a full hip operation, I was told I would have to sleep on my back for 6 weeks and the number of tablets afterwards was unbelievable.

Not sure for hip resurfing thou.
17:01, Thu 8 Nov
My advice is...

Sonic Youth fan. MBV. If you like feedback that much get a job at the council.
14:10, Fri 9 Nov
All booked in for 1st February, that gives me 5 weeks and 2 days to get fit enough for the vile game.
So I now have a target to aim for.

Looking forward to getting it done now.
Cheers for all the help and advice lads.
17:12, Fri 9 Nov
Good timing, you should just about be walking okay without crutches after 5 weeks, at least for short distances, up to a mile or so. Good luck with it, and even better luck for the Villa game!
18:11, Fri 9 Nov
Tilton shark
All booked in for 1st February, that gives me 5 weeks and 2 days to get fit enough for the vile game.
So I now have a target to aim for.

Looking forward to getting it done now.
Cheers for all the help and advice lads.

All the best, it's nice just to walk normal, something you take for granted.