Human being makes error.

Front pages not held.
Quote Fat Buddha: “I might be wrong ...”
11:40, Thu 8 Nov
Predator
bluearmyfaction
I think, given how obviously it was not a penalty, that we have to consider whether Man City are bribing refs. We know they're cheating FFP with the connivance of FIFA, UEFA, and the FA, so I don't trust them one iota on anything.

What a load of nonsense, the ref made a mistake, that’s it.

Maybe, but the magnitude of the mistake, and the fact that other officials didn’t advise the ref of his mistake, means that it should certainly be investigated by UEFA/FIFA. Either those officials’ competence or their integrity come into question.
11:41, Thu 8 Nov
Rasputin
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
The decision can't be reversed

[www.thefa.com]

The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official

So, given that Sterling has admitted he wasn't touched, all it needed was for him to tell the ref that he wasn't touched, and the ref can change his decision.

This all day every day, but Sterling wouldn’t because he is also a cheat and has no morals while playing the game himself.

The game truly has gone along with the cheating players and poor/cheated officials.
11:43, Thu 8 Nov
The ref, the linesman, and the prannet behind the goal.

That's one eff of a coincidence.
11:50, Thu 8 Nov
If that was a Blues player, would you have expected him to tell the ref? Lets say Adams goes over like that v the vile, do you want him to own up?

No player on earth would have done any different to Sterling.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
12:06, Thu 8 Nov
bluearmyfaction
The ref, the linesman, and the prannet behind the goal.

That's one eff of a coincidence.

It’s not coincidence it’s poor officiating from at least one if not 2 of the 5 referees.
...yes it was an error, but the thread was attempting to open the debate on whether there was the opportunity to make that known and reverse the decision or should football be "just played to the whistle", it's loosely a football forum and was a major "incident" in a football match.

Sterling has made his apologies... [www.independent.co.uk]
12:09, Thu 8 Nov
number8
Robbie Fowler.

And there is also the circumstances. Cheating Man City already ahead against a team everyone knows they are going to beat.
12:10, Thu 8 Nov
number8
If that was a Blues player, would you have expected him to tell the ref? Lets say Adams goes over like that v the vile, do you want him to own up?

Yes I would. Just to prove that there is a morsel of decency left in the game.
It would be talked about for years to come and for good reason.

Remember De Canio catching the ball instead of heading the ball into an empty net when the keeper lay on the floor injured.

Pure class.
12:36, Thu 8 Nov
grandadandthekids
number8

Remember De Canio catching the ball instead of heading the ball into an empty net when the keeper lay on the floor injured.

Pure class.
the net wasn’t empty. Pure fantasy

And using him as an example of class and sportsmanship 😂
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:38, Thu 8 Nov
My two bob.

I've seen the incident once - on a telly quite a distance away. My impression is that the defender flicked Sterling's heel, that was what caused Sterling to miss his stride / trip. Whether it was deliberate I don't know, I think so - but it might not have been. You look at it closely you see the defender plant his foot right behind Sterling's trailing leg at the precise moment he trips.

There was a similar incident in the Albion / Derby game the other week. Gayle was past Malone and heading into the box, Malone changed his angle to get in behind Gayle's stride and flicked his heel - that was certainly deliberate. It was also a snidge outside the box. Ref saw Gayle fall with the defender apparently nowhere near and gave nothing.

Sterling, having had his heel caught from behind would not have known what happened. He didn't cheat.

I'm as accomplished a moral horse rider as anybody when it comes to cheating in football, but I'm not calling anybody for this one.
12:40, Thu 8 Nov
This was also my assessment when I saw it on the news this morning
@LeMod1875
number8

They won 6-0.

If that was for the 6th I'd say Man City's reaction would have been very different.

If that was a Blues player in any competitive game and the difference is winning or drawing then the pen and referees error is to be accepted with open arms.
12:54, Thu 8 Nov
Le Mod

You played football to a high level, you must have come across it.

I played football at a crap level but I have a bug about it because it happened to me in one game. I went past a defender and he clipped my heel causing me to trip. The ref said "Nah, you've just tripped mate - defender was nowhere near you..."

So I put it down to an accident.

Few minutes later, exactly the same again. I went past him and he got into my stride and clipped my trailing heel again.

Same response from the ref but this time I knew it was deliberate because you couldn't accidentally do it twice. So I told the lad if he did it again I would chin him...because that was what we did at my level of football.

Like I say - I don't know whether the lad last night did it deliberately but I reckon he definitely got a flick. The one by Scott Malone on Dwight Gayle the other week was definitely intentional because he changed direction to put himself in Gayle's stride pattern.
13:04, Thu 8 Nov
Behave
You don't know it may have mattered?
13:11, Thu 8 Nov
....think you need to have another look at it.

[www.youtube.com]">
I think you might tbf
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
13:38, Thu 8 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
grandadandthekids
number8

Pure class.
the net wasn’t empty. Pure fantasy

And using him as an example of class and sportsmanship 😂

Say what you want, in my defence it was a long time ago, but still to this day we are talking about it.

Pure class moment!
13:49, Thu 8 Nov
Spike
Le Mod

You played football to a high level, you must have come across it.

I played football at a crap level but I have a bug about it because it happened to me in one game. I went past a defender and he clipped my heel causing me to trip. The ref said "Nah, you've just tripped mate - defender was nowhere near you..."

So I put it down to an accident.

Few minutes later, exactly the same again. I went past him and he got into my stride and clipped my trailing heel again.

Same response from the ref but this time I knew it was deliberate because you couldn't accidentally do it twice. So I told the lad if he did it again I would chin him...because that was what we did at my level of football.

Like I say - I don't know whether the lad last night did it deliberately but I reckon he definitely got a flick. The one by Scott Malone on Dwight Gayle the other week was definitely intentional because he changed direction to put himself in Gayle's stride pattern.

At school I was chasing as the last defender an attacker who went on to run for GB in the 100m relays at LA Olympics who was clean through 1 on 1 with keeper - there was no way i was going to catch him so just lunged at him bought him down - the most obvious penalty & red card decision ever. Ref waved play on - proper football !