10:49, Fri 9 Nov
England win the first test - first overseas test win since 2016 and first ever win in Galle. Well done boys.
10:50, Fri 9 Nov
Agreed 👍
DES
11:12, Fri 9 Nov
Great win and Root alledgedly managed his bowlers very well, what station are highlights on?

KRO
11:47, Fri 9 Nov
DES
Well done.

Nice to see the Blues flag by the tower.
12:11, Fri 9 Nov
Yeah, I noticed The Blues / Bears flag the other morning.

On the match, crushing win. Very impressive - especially considering the lack of preparation.

Outstanding from Jennings and Foakes. One or two others had a good bat as well.

Jury still very much out on Moeen at 3. Burns I think will come good.

Joe Root is really improving a captain, he really handled the bowlers well - using Rashid in quite short spells was very clever. All the bowlers bowled very well and none of them were overworked.

I don't see a need to change the side for the next game, they (David LLoyd) were talking about bringing another seemer in for a spinner at Pallekele but I don't see the need. With three seamers and three different spinners you've got everything covered.

Plenty of batting too. They shouldn't mess about to bring Bairstow in. Foakes came in and scored a century and a fast forty. That's him staying in on merit.
13:15, Fri 9 Nov
Wonderful performance worth the early morning wake up calls👍
15:56, Fri 9 Nov
Frustrating that there's talk of Bairstow coming back in, they reckon they'll drop Burns for him as an opener. Burns has been the standout opener in the County game and they're talking about dropping him after one game? Madness.
Dong Ren Out.
Always moaning about something you, aren't you?
16:29, Fri 9 Nov
"Talk" doesn't mean it will happen. Like Buttler was apparently going to keep wicket with Bairstow injured, it was only just before the First Test was there "talk" that Foakes might play.

There was "talk" Broad was going to be dropped in New Zealand earlier this year. Didn't happen.

Enjoy the rare away win 😎
16:46, Fri 9 Nov
Ed Smith has been very good so far to be fair. He has completely ignored the chattering masses and made his own decisions.

He has fiercely defended his feeling that Jennings can make the grade - hardly anybody agreed with him on that. The decision to bring Buttler in was a masterstroke as well. He also went against a load of criticism to bring Rashid back in.

Up to now it's been working.

It would be very unlike him to ditch Burns after one test, because it would be short-sighted and he isn't that. There has been a lot of upheaval around England's openers and not a lot of success.

i like Bairstow but he strikes me as a bit whiny. He seems to want to call the shots about where he bats / whether he keeps wicket etc. Foakes can't be dropped after this performance and changing the order around to bring Bairstow in as a batsman would feel a bit "un Ed Like" as well.

We'll see what happens, whatever it is will probably turn out the right decision.
17:57, Fri 9 Nov
i like Bairstow but he strikes me as a bit whiny. He seems to want to call the shots about where he bats / whether he keeps wicket etc. Foakes can't be dropped after this performance and changing the order around to bring Bairstow in as a batsman would feel a bit "un Ed Like" as well

Totally agree. I like the fact the talk is now of more flexibility in the selections, whilst keeping essentially the same squad, and batting orders. Won't always work yet to say I want to bat in x spot in the batting order is 20th century thinking.
18:09, Fri 9 Nov
LondonBlue
Frustrating that there's talk of Bairstow coming back in, they reckon they'll drop Burns for him as an opener. Burns has been the standout opener in the County game and they're talking about dropping him after one game? Madness.

Burns and Jennings should be told that whatever happens,they'll be opening for the series. Try and take some pressure off em.
18:50, Fri 9 Nov
Yeah, Burns should be there for the series. According to the experts Foakes is the best keeper out of the 3 contenders and that's a real consideration in test matches.
18:56, Fri 9 Nov
Micky Darrell
Yeah, Burns should be there for the series. According to the experts Foakes is the best keeper out of the 3 contenders and that's a real consideration in test matches.

Opening is probably the toughest position in the side. We can't keep changing if they fail in their first couple of innings. If they're right about Burns,tell him he's safe whatever happens,and Jennings.Same with Foakes.If he's their choice then take pressure off him and tell him to relax and not worry about your spot in the side.
19:00, Fri 9 Nov
Moren is definitely not a test number 3 though so something has to change. I think Rashid might be dropped for next test and Bairstow might come in.

Bairstow is more proven as a test batter than Buttler. It’s been a massive luxury having JB down the order. He’s a real talent, and I don’t see what’s wrong with saying you want to keep wicket. Foakes has done brilliantly, but is he definitely a better player? Tough to say that given how Bairstow has played for England for a while now.

Tricky. Might keep it the same, after all England have just won at a canter. Broad is sitting on the side too.
19:17, Fri 9 Nov
newblue
Moren is definitely not a test number 3 though so something has to change. I think Rashid might be dropped for next test and Bairstow might come in.

Bairstow is more proven as a test batter than Buttler. It’s been a massive luxury having JB down the order. He’s a real talent, and I don’t see what’s wrong with saying you want to keep wicket. Foakes has done brilliantly, but is he definitely a better player? Tough to say that given how Bairstow has played for England for a while now.

Tricky. Might keep it the same, after all England have just won at a canter. Broad is sitting on the side too.

It will depend on the conditions.Pallekelle is completely different to Galle apparently.
19:37, Fri 9 Nov
They say that Jennings struggles a bit against pace. If this is true and it shows up in the next test then I don't think we would need to persist with him. We might not find out in this series but long-term you can't have an opener vulnerable to pace.
19:45, Fri 9 Nov
Yeah,his average in Asia is brilliant but poor at home. Surely we have somebody that can help him with that?
19:50, Fri 9 Nov
We’ll see if that’s right or not. He’s quite young and played a lot at Durham which is a seamer’s paradise. He seems to have something.

Plus he’s a South African and isn’t there a rule that 20% of the England test team have to be Saffers?
19:52, Fri 9 Nov
I heard them saying that and that maybe Broad would come in for a spinner. It’s asking Curran a lot to be a front line bowler. We have great all rounders but this creates problems too.