13:00, Thu 6 Dec
My old man was born in Balsall Heath in 1954. I was thinking of getting him a book about Brum in that era for a bit of nostalgia.

Any recommendations? Something with photographs would be good showing his old haunts.

Thanks in advance
13:01, Thu 6 Dec
Great idea, my old man was a young kid back then - interested in this.
13:08, Thu 6 Dec
Dave1991
My old man was born in Balsall Heath in 1954. I was thinking of getting him a book about Brum in that era for a bit of nostalgia.

Any recommendations? Something with photographs would be good showing his old haunts.

Thanks in advance

My mom was born & lived in Digbeth in the 50’s & early 60’s where the rag market is now and I did the same a couple of years back. There was a stall in the New Library, next to the front desk, which sold old memorabilia and books of Old Birmingham. She loved it especially the photos.

Now not saying you’ll get one there now but I did see a show at the Rep theatre 3 weeks ago and I’m sure I did see the shop in the foyer area of the library still there so it’s worth a try.

Hope this helps.
13:11, Thu 6 Dec
Alton Douglas' series of books - still on Amazon.

[www.amazon.co.uk]
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
13:13, Thu 6 Dec
👍
13:29, Thu 6 Dec
I noticed quite a few books on Birmingham in the touch wood < Solihull > shopping centre. It was one of those pop up stalls in the middle of the passage way.
17:00, Thu 6 Dec
I was born in balsall heath too in1954
17:02, Thu 6 Dec
....Dad?
17:25, Thu 6 Dec
Shhh son
17:27, Thu 6 Dec
I enjoyed the back to back museum in town
Reminded me of my aunts house
DES
17:28, Thu 6 Dec
Dave1991

Thanks in advance
Dave he is two yrs younger than me! Hope someone recommends some good stuff!
Great area for making u street wise!
I could recognise a whore by the time I was at junior school🤣 also knew the illegal bookies👍
Kro
DES
17:50, Thu 6 Dec
bluemike
I noticed quite a few books on Birmingham in the touch wood < Solihull > shopping centre. It was one of those pop up stalls in the middle of the passage way.
Yes I was looking at them last Sunday!
Actually it’s the pictures that are so evocative!
Anyone remember
Bristol cinema that was posh
But now two flea pits!
Luxor
Triangle
Kro
17:59, Thu 6 Dec
Alton Douglas' series of books - still on Amazon.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

👍
Whole section in Waterstones in town, including Alton’s books

Some are area specific too
@Bluewurst1875
21:06, Thu 6 Dec
I used to enjoy a cruise up and down Cheddar Rd in the final days....
Does anybody actually click on links in your signature? I wonder. Listen to A New Man by Rob Roy Fellows #np on #SoundCloud
[soundcloud.com]