15:30, Thu 6 Dec
MAN UTD V READING

FFS WHY is there a rule that Man Utd have to be on TV can't think of a worse Cup tie...when will we find out our day and time?
Dan
15:31, Thu 6 Dec
Because Man Utd bring in the highest TV ratings.
15:32, Thu 6 Dec
Isn't there some stat that every FA Cup tie Man Utd have played for 8 years has been televised or something? It might even be longer than that.

It is bloody ridiculous.
15:34, Thu 6 Dec
Dan
Doesn't make it right? I'm sure millions of fans in England would rather watch Woking v Watford instead because it's what the Cup is about
15:35, Thu 6 Dec
Yep, but as Dan says, they just go for the ratings whoever they are playing. Ignores everything else about the competition.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
15:38, Thu 6 Dec
Could guarantee we would draw them and it would be the 1st Cup tie in about 1000 years that isn't televised😂
15:39, Thu 6 Dec
You could argue that's their duty as a public broadcaster - to show the game that they can prove will have the highest viewing figures and therefore attractive to the most people.
Friday - Tranmere/Southport v Spurs
Saturday - Man Utd v Reading
Saturday - Soilhull/Blackpool v Arsenal
Sunday - Woking v Watford
Sunday- Wrexham/Newport v Leicester
Monday - Wolves v Liverpool
15:51, Thu 6 Dec
Spike
Isn't there some stat that every FA Cup tie Man Utd have played for 8 years has been televised or something? It might even be longer than that.

It is bloody ridiculous.

It goes back further than that I'm afraid. January 2005 at home to Exeter City was the last FA Cup game they played that wasn't televised. So much for the "magic of the cup".
Yeah, you Dan and 8 are right - but when people keep scratching their (velvet) ball bags and wondering why nobody gives much of a toss about the FA Cup these days this is a big part of the reason.

The uniqueness of the FA Cup always was about the romance and that's been lost.

I finally gave up hope that year we played at Blyth Spartans and it wasn't televised. I'm not saying that because it was us but because it was a struggling Championship side playing at a non-league side with a cup pedigree, that was an obvious telly game all day long and a good chance of an upset. Then as it turned out it had everything you would want to get viewers interested.

I vividly remember that instead BBC showed Arsenal v Hull that weekend. The most non-descript game possible. I knew then they'd lost the plot and any sense of what should make the FA Cup great.
Yep, but as Dan says, they just go for the ratings whoever they are playing. Ignores everything else about the competition.

TV company showing what will have the most viewers.

Shocking 🙄
15:54, Thu 6 Dec
Or severe lack of it's ruined the Cup
Moors Saturday 5.30 FFS was hoping for Friday or Monday

Hoping our game at West Ham gets moved now as I wanted to go to both ideally
16:06, Thu 6 Dec
CheswickBlue
Moors Saturday 5.30 FFS was hoping for Friday or Monday

Hoping our game at West Ham gets moved now as I wanted to go to both ideally
Oh dear
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
16:07, Thu 6 Dec
Don't you worry Rab, Wet Spam away takes priority
16:07, Thu 6 Dec
They'll have a job winning the replay tbf, Blackpool will be well up for it at home now they've got the prize of Arsenal on the BBC
@LeMod1875
16:09, Thu 6 Dec
Very true but they've already played Arsenal at the Emirates once this season so will they be as up for it as the Moors 🤷‍♀️
16:13, Thu 6 Dec
I'd forgotten about that, you make a good point
@LeMod1875
16:16, Thu 6 Dec
It's not the TV companies ruining the cup, it's those who sold the rights to the TV companies and didn't put rules in place to protect it. If they can, the TV companies will obviously show the match that will get the most viewers - if they didn't, the person making that decision would be sacked and replaced with someone who would. If there weren't rules for the Premiership rights in place that forced broadcasters to show each team x amount of times a season, they wouldn't show matches like Newcastle vs Wolves like they are this weekend. It'd just be the top 6 exclusively.

It's down to the FA to come up with the package that the TV companies bid on - sadly 20 Man Utd matches is worth more than 20 proper cup ties and the FA went with the money.
16:18, Thu 6 Dec
wasn't it man ure who opted out of the cup to play in a world club competition some years back?