08:00, Thu 10 Jan
Bolton Wanderers Chairman Ken Anderson today reacted strongly to criticism of his recent conduct in a statement on Boltons official website. While Blues have a financial interest in what is going on with Jonathan Grounds on loan at the University of Bolton Stadium, I think there are wider lessons to

[almajir.net]
08:08, Thu 10 Jan
Good article Dan. Whilst we have owners putting money in we can all carry on as we were, but as soon as our lot get fed up/run out of money, our accounts say we could be the next Bolton.
Unsustainable, like in almost every other club, football is a mess.
08:10, Thu 10 Jan
Excellent piece that!
08:26, Thu 10 Jan
KROJim
Excellent piece that!

Seconded, great work Dan.

I do have some sympathy with the EFL (I know, I know). I genuinely believe they are trying to do the right thing and have only good intentions regarding the administration of the league. Due to whatever reason(s) - competence, resources, leadership - they seem not to be able to effectively regulate the financial aspect of the game. This is compounded by English football now being a mega bucks global industry with investment and ownership from around the world and club ownership obfuscated by layer upon layer of holding companies. When one considers the task the EFL has in regulating the business side of football nowadays when they are faced by so many people / chancers / schisters / convicts who are clearly driving double decker buses through loopholes it does start to look more and more like a sisyphean task.

Since the growth of revenue in the Prem era there have been merchants of doom predicting the decimation of lower league clubs yet this has not happened yet... the EFL may be one of the richest leagues but if you earn a Million quid a month and spend two Million a month then its neither profitible or sustainable. Maybe things will go pear shaped with Bolton, Ipswich, Blues, v**la (please, please, please) and many others... or maybe things will just lurch on as they have.

Either way, great work again and keep it up, Blues and football definitely need more Dans and fewer Kens.
08:58, Thu 10 Jan
The current owner borrowed 5 mill from the previous owner, who then died just five days later? Sounds fishy.
08:59, Thu 10 Jan
A hopelessly equipped regulator in need of drastic modernisation.
09:17, Thu 10 Jan
For me the only way it can work is to seriously regulate the finances of the Premiership being the rich sess pit that it is and then use that as a guide and lessen the hardships for each league as you work down.

It feels the the EFL have put the Cart before the Horse with these FFP rulings.

There isn’t enough money from the Prem passed down the ranks to grass roots for a start, but hey that’s why they are the super rich.

One of the largest issues which imo could be eradicated soon is the reduction or eradication of Agents fees.

In our recent accounts wasn’t 1/3 of our 12 million player spend set aside for agents fees. This has got out of control and if that midget of a man Graham Taylor was to ever warrant his over inflated wage he would take control of this and allow for the players to be signed through the union as an agent.
DES
09:23, Thu 10 Jan
Banana, the union have pushed their services for years, but players prefer agents.. simple as!

Kro
09:28, Thu 10 Jan
DES
DES
Banana, the union have pushed their services for years, but players prefer agents.. simple as!

Kro

We all know this DES, as their greed has got in the way of the benefit of grass roots and every other player below them in lower divisions.

They could still gain a fantastically over inflated wage while the Union could take a small percentage instead of the Agents and pass this down the chain to those less fortunate.
09:32, Thu 10 Jan
Gordon Taylor. Graham is dust
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
09:39, Thu 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt

My apologies & condolences :-(
09:48, Thu 10 Jan
Heard this am Ken Anderson got in touch with Blues back in 2014 saying he'd got an investor online, and that he wanted to meet.

Just before he met with people from the club, he faxed his broker agreement which guaranteed him 5% of the sale price - which would stand for 2 years if the club was sold to anyone else.

As you can imagine, Blues told him to foxtrot oscar.
09:53, Thu 10 Jan
1 Banana
Rab C Nesbitt

My apologies & condolences :-(
😉
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
10:02, Thu 10 Jan
1 Banana
DES

Kro

We all know this DES, as their greed has got in the way of the benefit of grass roots and every other player below them in lower divisions.

They could still gain a fantastically over inflated wage while the Union could take a small percentage instead of the Agents and pass this down the chain to those less fortunate.

Yep, the PFA does offer an agent service - for a fixed fee I think, they certainly used to.

The players aren't keen to use it because they are basically greedy effers and would rather use an unscrupulous spiv who will not care who he upsets but will get them (and himself) more bling.

There is of course the sad fact that the PFA has lost credibility anyway because of Chunky's own utter greed.
10:09, Thu 10 Jan
Yeah, interesting.

The Bolton situation is an absolute joke and reflects terribly on the EFL - even I have been banging on about that since the summer and I know nothing.

This is why (as I have also kept saying) the EFL will have trouble enforcing any punishments on P and S because the system is a joke, is being rafted left right and centre - and that is obvious to anybody.

Still. As we know. We are not allowed to mention stuff like that because it's just whining apparently. We simply have to acknowledge that we breached the rules and accept a damned good thrashing without pointing out that the situation is bizarre and that other clubs are taking the piss.
10:13, Thu 10 Jan
Spike
Yeah, interesting.

The Bolton situation is an absolute joke and reflects terribly on the EFL - even I have been banging on about that since the summer and I know nothing.

This is why (as I have also kept saying) the EFL will have trouble enforcing any punishments on P and S because the system is a joke, is being rafted left right and centre - and that is obvious to anybody.

Still. As we know. We are not allowed to mention stuff like that because it's just whining apparently. We simply have to acknowledge that we breached the rules and accept a damned good thrashing without pointing out that the situation is bizarre and that other clubs are taking the piss.

Fair point but we were stupid/incompetent enough to break the rules (flagrantly where the Pedersen signing was concerned) instead of craftily circumventing them like others.
10:19, Thu 10 Jan
There's absolutely nothing crafty about what Bolton are doing - and have been for some time now.

Or some other clubs.
10:24, Thu 10 Jan
Slightly Turbid
Due to whatever reason(s) - competence, resources, leadership - they seem not to be able to effectively regulate the financial aspect of the game.
The FPP test is a prime example of that. Hitler would have passed it. It's a purely objective test because the EFL does not want to spend money on a legal challenge if it applies a subjective criterion.

What's more, it's been designed to make it nearly impossible to fail. Convicted rapist? It's OK, your offence is grandfathered in. Banned as a director for 10 years? It's OK, the 10 years is over. And it was designedly designed so. There was pressure to put in place an FPP test, so they put in one, box ticked. That it is in itself unfit for purpose doesn't matter...
10:49, Thu 10 Jan
KROJim
Excellent piece that!

Seconded, great work Dan.

I do have some sympathy with the EFL (I know, I know). I genuinely believe they are trying to do the right thing and have only good intentions regarding the administration of the league. Due to whatever reason(s) - competence, resources, leadership - they seem not to be able to effectively regulate the financial aspect of the game. This is compounded by English football now being a mega bucks global industry with investment and ownership from around the world and club ownership obfuscated by layer upon layer of holding companies. When one considers the task the EFL has in regulating the business side of football nowadays when they are faced by so many people / chancers / schisters / convicts who are clearly driving double decker buses through loopholes it does start to look more and more like a sisyphean task.

Since the growth of revenue in the Prem era there have been merchants of doom predicting the decimation of lower league clubs yet this has not happened yet... the EFL may be one of the richest leagues but if you earn a Million quid a month and spend two Million a month then its neither profitible or sustainable. Maybe things will go pear shaped with Bolton, Ipswich, Blues, v**la (please, please, please) and many others... or maybe things will just lurch on as they have.

Either way, great work again and keep it up, Blues and football definitely need more Dans and fewer Kens.

*Applauds*
10:51, Thu 10 Jan
Not that good, Sisyphean requires a capital.