14:35, Thu 10 Jan
We live in a crazy world. Lionel Messi, the highest paid footballer last season, received $111,000,000. Does he deserve that much? More and more people in this country are relying on food banks. If you think that they deserve that, try watching I, Daniel Blake on BBC iPlayer and see if you change yo

[longlongroad.co.uk]
14:46, Thu 10 Jan
No he won't deserve that. However the evidence of the football market is that he can earn that for now. Ronaldo was not far behind hims at $108 million and Neymar earns more than $90 million too.

If we go down that route though what is anyone worth? Jota is rumoured to earn £35k a week for us against the national average working wage in the UK of around £29,000 per annum. So Jota will earn in 1 year what the average UK person would earn in a 62-year career.

Unless you have pay caps or decree that every person earns the same (regardless of role, experience or skill) there is feck all one can do about it. As the saying goes "life's unfair".
14:50, Thu 10 Jan
He's the best in the world, and everyone wants to watch him and have them in their team. Simple supply and demand.
20:33, Thu 10 Jan
Long Long Road
We live in a crazy world. Lionel Messi, the highest paid footballer last season, received $111,000,000. Does he deserve that much? More and more people in this country are relying on food banks. If you think that they deserve that, try watching I, Daniel Blake on BBC iPlayer and see if you change yo

[longlongroad.co.uk]

Good film, Daniel Blake.
20:42, Thu 10 Jan
It's outrageous isn't it.

I've heard Camp is on 20K a goal.
23:49, Thu 10 Jan
He's the best in the world, and everyone wants to watch him and have them in their team. Simple supply and demand.

Supply and demand is an empty tautology.

Ability and greed is a better, more apposite description.
00:26, Fri 11 Jan
Of course he isn't worth 111 million dollars per season. But fortunately for him, he is very gifted, talented and has worked hard at the most popular spectator sport around the globe. Fans will pay via ticket ad TV subscription to watch him play. I'm sure Barcelona can cover his wages with a bit more to spare with the revenue they receive from foreign fans subscribing to their Internet channel alone.
That was liquid football!