18:00, Fri 11 Jan
... needing some tech advice

just got meself a 65” 4K samsung tv and got a high speed 5m HDMI cable off web for £20 ... been ok for a week but tivo box went pear shaped this morning ..tv couldn’t find the source so i got a virgin engineer out and he said it was the hdmi cable that had gone because it was a cheap one and i need to get one for around £80 from currys or pc world
is he correct ?
he gave me one that was virgin approved but was only 1 metre long and my tv s on the wall about 4.5mwtres away from box ffs
18:13, Fri 11 Jan
I've used this company for years
[www.comtecdirect.co.uk]
Regards, Mick
18:25, Fri 11 Jan
I’d be interested to know what he means by saying the lead had ‘gone’. Unless it’s been damaged in some way what exactly could fail in a HDMI lead?

If you’ve got any doubt about the difference in these leads get both the £6 and £80 ones compare both and and I bet you’ll soon be returning the £80 one!😉
18:26, Fri 11 Jan
I’d be interested to know what he means by saying the lead had ‘gone’. Unless it’s been damaged in some way what exactly could fail in a HDMI lead?

If you’ve got any doubt about the difference in these leads get both the £6 and £80 ones, compare both and and I bet you’ll soon be returning the £80 one!😉
18:29, Fri 11 Jan
Currys and the like used to pull this scam on scart leads

The price of a hdmi cable makes no material difference to the picture quality
18:30, Fri 11 Jan
Yeah there will be very very little difference between a £5 Amazon one or a £80 gold plated one from Curry’s.
19:36, Fri 11 Jan
Spoke to My nephew who installs for Sky.
He reckons there is no diff between the £20 & the £80.
It’s just marketing.

He in turn spoke to a mate who is a Virgin installer and this is his take on the matter:-

Try your ‘Gone’ cable with another tv first to see if they are “talking” to each other.

Then it could also be that the HDMI connection on the rear of the tv has been “Yanked” and damaged it.

Also he reckons you may have an older TiVo 500 box which struggle with your tv.
If this is the case get Virgin to give you the newer v6 Tivo Box.

Sky and virgin are both very customer orientated, I’d make it virgins problem, threaten to leave to sky unless they resolve it.

Hope this helps
19:52, Fri 11 Jan
Thanks mate 👍🏻

Currently running the V6 Box
When mounting the tv i ran two identical HDMI cables
to the tv using one and having the other as a spare ...
both leads are brand new and tv is a week old out the box ... the virgin engineer pulled out the hdmi cable from tv and swaped it with the identical spare one.and did the same at the tivo connection. but then did something to the settings on the tivo set up so i reckon it was something to do with the tivo settings rather than the lead had ‘gone’ bs

cheers anyway for everyones input 👍🏻
20:05, Fri 11 Jan
Should add he also said it could quite easily be the settings on the TiVo also.

Said the newer, younger engineers struggle with the newer Tivo set ups
21:48, Fri 11 Jan
Tip for anyone with a TV... put the make and model number of said TV along with calibration into a whatever search engine you use and you should find a guide to set the colour balance properly.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...