21:34, Tue 15 Jan
Squatnose
Blue Berni
voodZ
Used to drive a Mondeo

he also drove a lorry. I met him in gkn chester rd about 2005 whjch he was doing whilst waiting for his visa's etc for Canada.
asked him about mad baz and he said the thing with baz was that as big as the squad was everybody got a game eventually. a real nice down to earth bloke.

Furlong was signed by Fry’s successor, Trevor Francis. So I’m not sure how he gained this insight.

sorry mate was on about kev francis
Three wingers taking up all the places on the bench!
22:01, Tue 15 Jan
El Mayor
One of the nicest and humblest players I ever met.

Ditto. Far from what I expected. Smashing fella
22:02, Tue 15 Jan
voodZ
Isn't he a traffic warden now in America?

Police man in canada

Thought that was Super Kev?

It was/ is !!
22:53, Tue 15 Jan
Fall Purr Long
El Mayor

Ditto. Far from what I expected. Smashing fella

As was said to me by an old mate who had a box back in the TF era.

Funky Furlong used to turn up to training in brown leather jeans allegedly 👍 just the coolest dude
www.intotheshadowslive.uk
06:15, Wed 16 Jan
One of the best strikers at the club in the last 25 years.

Very unfortunate with some bad injuries.
One of the best strikers, against the likes of Bury and Grimsby. Absolute shit though when the games counted for anything. Remember V Watford in the play offs. eff off Funky, you took the piss and stole a massive living, from Blues.
DES
VILLA WAS ABSOLUTELY TOP DRAWER,
Kro
DES
07:47, Wed 16 Jan
I think the conversation has switched from furlong to big Kev!
I will never forget him destroying us for Stockport in promotion season under TC!
Kro
foghorn leghorn

One of the best strikers, against the likes of Bury and Grimsby. Absolute shit though when the games counted for anything. Remember V Watford in the play offs. eff off Funky, you took the piss and stole a massive living, from Blues.

50 goals in 131 appearances = stealing a living; moronic. Is it the missed pen you hold against him?
09:48, Wed 16 Jan
I remember all of the playoff games under TF. Singling Furlong out for bottling it is quite odd considering how they collectively lost it year after year.

Which other 'massive' games did Furlong not match your standards?
Old MacDonald had a farm. EU, EU... Oh.
10:10, Wed 16 Jan
I checked back - he only ever scored 2 (in one game) vs. Bury and none against Grimsby in his whole time with us. He was evidently even more of a bottle merchant than we thought...
10:23, Wed 16 Jan
He hit two hat-tricks for us in January 1998, against Stoke & Stockport. Some strikers don't score that many goals in an entire season!
10:27, Wed 16 Jan
Squatnose
He hit two hat-tricks for us in January 1998, against Stoke & Stockport. Some strikers don't score that many goals in an entire season!

And we weren't too long past a decade long period without anyone scoring a hat-trick at that point!
10:29, Wed 16 Jan
The Devlin Disguise
Squatnose

And we weren't too long past a decade long period without anyone scoring a hat-trick at that point!

Jonathan Hunt scored two hat-tricks in a matter of weeks in 1994, against Peterborough & Crewe. Prior to that you had to go back to David Geddis at Portsmouth in 1985.
foghorn leghorn

50 goals in 131 appearances = stealing a living; moronic. Is it the missed pen you hold against him?
Do you mean the back pass to his old club mate?

He could score against shite defences, I saw him bully our crap defence and get a hatrick against us once, at vicarage road.

His first goal at Sheffield. It looked like we got a bargain. He ended that season with 12 in 43, a very average return on investment. Compare with Devlin 19 in 38, or Forster 3 in 4. Even Super keV got 3 in 5 starts, that season.
Big games in 96 v wolves and Man city, he was nowhere to be seen.
DES
Kro
14:18, Wed 16 Jan
El Mayor

This. I met him and had dinner with him at a London Supporters event back in the 90's. Absolutely smashing fella, really nice bloke, humble, loved talking footie, totally comfortable talking with the fans.
14:45, Wed 16 Jan
So what about '97-'98 when he got 19 in 30? 13 in 33 the next year, 11 in 23 the next.

Almost like you're deliberately omitting his decent scoring record in the rest of his career with us.
foghorn leghorn
foghorn leghorn

Do you mean the back pass to his old club mate?

He could score against shite defences, I saw him bully our crap defence and get a hatrick against us once, at vicarage road.

His first goal at Sheffield. It looked like we got a bargain. He ended that season with 12 in 43, a very average return on investment. Compare with Devlin 19 in 38, or Forster 3 in 4. Even Super keV got 3 in 5 starts, that season.
Big games in 96 v wolves and Man city, he was nowhere to be seen.

Only goes to show his record was good after that season - 40 in 88 games. Clearly not going to agree - to me he was one of the best strikers at Blues I've seen. Could never fathom the 'lazy', 'bottler' etc. thrown at Furlong then and can't now (other than racism obvs, which there was a fair bit of round by us in those days) .
15:18, Wed 16 Jan
Ok then, extrapolate those goals out over the 6 seasons he spent at St Andrews. It doesn't look so awesome now.

Nice guys don't get promoted. He didn't get Watford up. He was so-so at Chelsea. Maybe if he wasn't so nice and was a bit nastier, then things may have been more successful for him.

He was bang average for blues, but cost a mint.

Devlin, why bring race into. I don't know?
DES
Kro
15:41, Wed 16 Jan
He didn't spend six seasons with us though, as he was out on loan for large parts of the latter years.

50 goals in 103 league starts for Blues. How anyone can argue with that record is beyond me.
15:43, Wed 16 Jan
Please forgive my old memory, but wasn't it him that threw his shirt on the floor following a substitution?