12:21, Sun 10 Feb
montypenguin
Yes I agree totally.

My point though (putting to one side for a moment Blues pending points deduction), if we're going to tackle the problem of clubs spending beyond their means then the parachute payment system has to be looked at it, particularly in relation to FFP. Nothing you can do about the riches of the Premiership, but when they drop down to the EFL (and the EFL's rules) it needs to be made more of a level playing field.
Parachute payments are needed imo, because of the wage bill needed to compete in the Premier League.
If Clubs abuse that money and overspend (vile) they should be punished under the rules, as they should be soon
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:47, Sun 10 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt
So other teams parachute payments are to blame for us spending shitloads?

Ok

What do you think is a fair punishment Rab?
Not being privy to what has been discussed between Blues and the EFL, it's hard to say. I'm willing to accept what us handed out though, as long as the rules are enforced for other clubs breaking the same rules.
Blaming parachute payments is ridiculous though

Taking into account that 12 points is the sanction for administration which usually means other clubs have been taken for dough surely you agree the same punishment doesn’t equate..
12:59, Sun 10 Feb
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt
So other teams parachute payments are to blame for us spending shitloads?

Ok

What do you think is a fair punishment Rab?
Not being privy to what has been discussed between Blues and the EFL, it's hard to say. I'm willing to accept what us handed out though, as long as the rules are enforced for other clubs breaking the same rules.
Blaming parachute payments is ridiculous though

Taking into account that 12 points is the sanction for administration which usually means other clubs have been taken for dough surely you agree the same punishment doesn’t equate..
It's difficult mate. The team's who got relegated because of us overspending may say they've lost dough because of it.
You need all the facts to really argue what is fair
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
13:07, Sun 10 Feb
Rags
Rags
They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? Recon still have a large stake so SBTB is still somewhere in the background.

I can’t see them sticking around for too long if they don’t get promoted, you don’t get that insanely rich by pumping millions in to a business with no return.

"They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? " ... true ... their co-investor is Wes Evans who is only worth about £3.75 billion

Yeah but Evans/Sawiri only own 55% of it, Recon have 45%.

I don’t know if this is significant, but if they wanted to pump a ton of money in to the club why wouldn’t they buy 100% if it?

'cos Tony Xia would have then had to pay back the magic money tree man .... and he hasn't got the cash to pay him back ... but with the money he got from The Sawiris and Edens he can keep paying back the repayments

Don't get me wrong .. no-one is suggesting they are going to invest all their cash (FFS .. they could buy Barcelona's first team if they wanted with just their spare change) - but they could certainly outspend any team in the UK without blinking

£36 billion is

£36,000,000,0000

we are in major trouble because of

£39,000,000 ...... ie a measly ONE THOUSANDTH of what they have

The villa and their owners wealth is of no interest to me.

We have had one of our most enjoyable seasons in years yet we ain’t been able to invest a bean appreciate the elf needed to do something to address owners using clubs as toys and then running away having caused carnage and financial meltdown but I’m fairly certain the efl haven’t found the right method for addressing it.

Fans are powerless and are gonna suffer the punishment of ownership regimes failing, this is not correct
I can't be angry at the EFL

Im angry at whoever oversaw the huge splurge in average players on big contracts and then rather than comply with the EFL thought they knew better and ignored the embargo and requests to put the finances back in line

It pisses me off they will never be held to account by the supporters, the people who will suffer not some faceless Chinese criminal
13:48, Sun 10 Feb
Le Mod
Is this new news? Was it not already known that the EFL would recommend a 12 point deduction to the panel?

Yeah, was decided at the EFL board meeting on Thursday / Friday
13:57, Sun 10 Feb
Rags
Just in case people aren't aware .... the Sawiris family are worth about £38 billion ... but £28 billion of that is in cash !!!

... and to put that into perspective

Roman Abramovich is worth £8 billion
Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour is worth £20 billion

.... and neither of them has more than £1 billion in cash

Where did you read that? Forbes says that Sawiri is worth £6.8bn
There a lot of fans angry at the EFL.
Blackpool Fans believe EFL is a disgrace and the EFL silence was deafening on the VOystons.
And then the fans of Coventry might see it cease to exist, their future in the safe hands of the EFL
Forgetting blues theirs something rotten in the running of the EFL.
18:14, Sun 10 Feb
Will be 6...
22:33, Sun 10 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
montypenguin
Yes I agree totally.

My point though (putting to one side for a moment Blues pending points deduction), if we're going to tackle the problem of clubs spending beyond their means then the parachute payment system has to be looked at it, particularly in relation to FFP. Nothing you can do about the riches of the Premiership, but when they drop down to the EFL (and the EFL's rules) it needs to be made more of a level playing field.
Parachute payments are needed imo, because of the wage bill needed to compete in the Premier League.
If Clubs abuse that money and overspend (vile) they should be punished under the rules, as they should be soon

Sorry I don't follow your logic. What have the Parachute Payments got to do with "competing in the Premier League"? Unless you're saying that clubs are tied to contracts signed while players were in the Premier League and on Premier League wages?
Sounds like we broke some rules & are therefore due some kind of punishment
What pigs me off is the amateur way the EFL has gone about this.
Caling for hearings in August then October now February? And then there’s no “rules” about what penalties to apply so they have to make it up as they go along, and apply the punishment mid-season
It’s a farce
23:18, Sun 10 Feb
If its 6 points and we have the option to lose the points now or next season id go with next season. We can make that back easy next year.

We might not be near the play offs again for a very long time. Rather us go for it now.
23:23, Sun 10 Feb
If its 6 points and we have the option to lose the points now or next season id go with next season. We can make that back easy next year.

We might not be near the play offs again for a very long time. Rather us go for it now.

Agree. We ain't gonna get 10 goals our of Juke agains imo. And Che might be somewhere else. Leaving us with vassell. Who we don't know if he will deliver yet
01:17, Mon 11 Feb
This is a difficult one to say when we would rather take the hit. I don't think we will get as close to the play offs as we are this season. So then you think let's go for it and take the hit next season.

But assuming we eventually miss out (I just don't think we can quite crack the top 6), then next season we are guaranteed a relegation battle if we was to start with a 12 points deduction, even if we have a similar kind of season as this. (Probably needing 60pts) Possibly without Che and Garry Monk.

So the head says if it is to be 12 points we probably need to take it this season.
06:00, Mon 11 Feb
I don't know if I've missed something but I don't think we get to choose when to take the points deduction. If its agreed this month / season surely it's going to apply immediately. Think this discussion about this season or next is born out of speculation on this thread rather than any clear indication that the punishment will apply next season.