21:02, Sat 9 Feb
The signing of Penderson whilst we were in a soft embargo was finally sanctioned by the EFL. Surely they cannot deduct points from us for something that they ultimately approved. They could have said that we couldn’t play him and we would have had to deal with that but they gave it the green light, I may not be a lawyer but If the EFL is going to punish us for a signing (albeit nievely) that we made and that they ultimately approved them they are at fault also, no?
21:10, Sat 9 Feb
Antonio Gramsci

So, a club that in 144 years has never had the wealth to compete with the teams at the top is about to be punished by the EFL for spending too much on footballers, while the wealthier teams are never ever punished.

And what do many of our fans do? Tell all and sundry that we was wrong and need to be punished.

So true.
21:21, Sat 9 Feb
12 points would be unprecedented though. On the plus side, if there’s a fine then we can rely on the PFA to finance it without repercussion.
@stevanderman
21:48, Sat 9 Feb
El Mayor
Good spot

Guess it’ll drag on further then, cos that means the league can also appeal it
In practice it will be difficult for the League to appeal it. It's not the same as with a general prosecution right to appeal. If the EFL were to appeal an independent decision, it would look like victimisation. It would also look like the League wants effectively the right to impose its own decision. Which negates the entire point of having an independent panel.
22:43, Sat 9 Feb
Unprecedented? In 2008/9 Darlington were deducted 10 points, Rotherham 17 points, Bournemouth 17 points and Luton 30 points. Only Luton were relegated
22:45, Sat 9 Feb
got it in for us (even though we don't know our punishment)
22:47, Sat 9 Feb
WM can feck right off.
22:58, Sat 9 Feb
Antonio Gramsci
I don't question the incompetence of our owners but they have only tried to invest in the squad. They kind of understand the informal rules of football.

There has been one key, unwritten rule in English football over the, nearly, 150 years the Blues have been going. It's always been there but certainly not written down in any documents.

It is simply this. The wealthier clubs use their wealth to get the best players, best managers, best youth systems, grounds and facilities. In all our history, to my knowledge, wealthier clubs have consistently used this informal rule to make sure they get to stay at the top. So, globally, Barcelona and Real Madrid have done this for decades, nationally the top five or six in the prem do it now. Would Chelsea have won all these trophies in the last 20 years if Abrahmovic had not acquired the assets of the Russian people with the help of the ex-KGB gangsters in government. The Swiss government stopped him getting a passport recently because they know what kind of dodgy practices that lies at the heart of his and Chelsea's success. Financial fair play anyone? Profitability and sustainability? My arse.

In our division our rivals like Wolves and Villa have spent small fortunes over the last few years. Fair play over there? Nah.

So, a club that in 144 years has never had the wealth to compete with the teams at the top is about to be punished by the EFL for spending too much on footballers, while the wealthier teams are never ever punished.

And what do many of our fans do? Tell all and sundry that we was wrong and need to be punished.

Now if Blues fans were prepared to research, investigate and analyse the shenanigans of all the wealthier teams in our division, so that a fair comparison could be made that may, arguably, be fair. But it seems easier to make the case for the EFL against the Blues than do some thorough comparative analysis of other clubs in this division. Sadly, some seem to persist in shining the light on our owners inadequacies, focussing the lens on the Blues failings rather than the wealthy clubs who have invariably done as they wished. I think that's a mistake.

Up the Blues.
Absolutely spot on mate.
To many people on here just want to believe the BBC.
I would like to know where they get their information from when apparently nobody knows what's actually going to happen 🤔
23:01, Sat 9 Feb
lol
23:06, Sat 9 Feb
Bluewurst
Can we legally challenge it.

If we get done 12 points, as it’s beig reported “now”, before the “independent” panel of arbitration sit, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a challenge. I would be putting money on winning it too.

One question and one question only

How do you know if the panel has sat or not?
23:08, Sat 9 Feb
TBH I had in mind that it was sitting next week.

Hence that

However if you know different, I’m sure you will tell us
@Bluewurst1875
23:09, Sat 9 Feb
Bluewurst
TBH I had in mind that it was sitting next week.

Hence that

There is no announcement, the efl have made it clear they will only announce afterwards. It’s possible it was last week.
23:45, Sat 9 Feb
You're quite right about the confusing messages during last summer. Apparently, there was a 'soft embargo' placed on Blues.

WtF is a 'soft embargo?
- One assumes a 'hard embargo' means you can't sign anyone. Does 'soft' mean 'loans only' or signings so long as they are below a given value?

So many questions, so many grey areas, so much scope to contest the ruling. Appeal the decision (if it's too draconian) let it drag on into and beyond the play-offs.
This information is sponsored by Lubicon Ltd. Did you know that 65% of North American couples said their relationship has been enhanced by Lubicon products ?
Lubicon products are available at all good chemists, some dodgy chemists and the viler club shop.
23:46, Sat 9 Feb
Jenny Tulwought
You're quite right about the confusing messages during last summer. Apparently, there was a 'soft embargo' placed on Blues.

WtF is a 'soft embargo?
- One assumes a 'hard embargo' means you can't sign anyone. Does 'soft' mean 'loans only' or signings so long as they are below a given value?

So many questions, so many grey areas, so much scope to contest the ruling. Appeal the decision (if it's too draconian) let it drag on into and beyond the play-offs.

Soft embargo - lenient transfer restrictions
Hard embargo - harsh transfer restrictions

Blues will have known exactly the limits at any time.
00:07, Sun 10 Feb
The BBC said (both on 5 Live this morning, and on The Final Score show this afternoon, that Birmingham WILL be deducted points - though not enough to put them in danger of relegation (or words to that effect). They also said that a financial penalty was not going to be imposed. As has been asked already, how do the BBC know this - where's the official source?

The BBC also said this afternoon, that the ruling would be given later this month. Whether that means the ruling will be finalised later this month - or it has already been finalised but won't be promulgated until later in February, we don't know.
This information is sponsored by Lubicon Ltd. Did you know that 65% of North American couples said their relationship has been enhanced by Lubicon products ?
Lubicon products are available at all good chemists, some dodgy chemists and the viler club shop.