11:04, Sun 10 Feb
Was a gnats away from booking a long weekend, but then saw you need a visa. It seems you have to apply in person to London, Edinburgh or Manchester.

Any info on this from the MI5/6 fraternity on here?

TIA.
11:07, Sun 10 Feb
Yeah you need a rather expensive visa applied for in person to an embassy or consulate. It’s put me off nearly booking a trip to Russia a couple of times.

The only “easy” way to visit is via cruise ship to St Petersburg where I don’t think you need a visa in advance.
11:30, Sun 10 Feb
Thanks 👍
11:32, Sun 10 Feb
Tandy
Yeah you need a rather expensive visa applied for in person to an embassy or consulate. It’s put me off nearly booking a trip to Russia a couple of times.

The only “easy” way to visit is via cruise ship to St Petersburg where I don’t think you need a visa in advance.

This as they now require retina confirmation.
11:35, Sun 10 Feb
When we did the Trans-siberian we got ours via RealRussia. Admittedly this was 10 years ago but it looks like they still offer the service
11:35, Sun 10 Feb
It's an absolute pain in the bollocks.
Tons of questions and you have to get somebody to vouch for you coming over. Although I think your hotel can do that.
Pearly Dewdrops
Was a gnats away from booking a long weekend, but then saw you need a visa. It seems you have to apply in person to London, Edinburgh or Manchester.

TIA.

I went through an agency to get my visa. I just googled one, contacted them and they did the rest. This was 5 yrs ago

from memory they need your passport details, utility bill with your name address on it, 2 x photos, a note from the hotel that you're booked in there. Just trying to remember if was done by post or electronically?? but it will save you going to London.
In total it was something like £120\£130 but no more than that
Bordesley not Small Heath
Pearly Dewdrops

TIA.

I went through a visa agency to get my visa. I just googled one, contacted them and they did the rest. This was 5 yrs ago

from memory they need your passport details, flight details,utility bill with your name address on it, 2 x photos, a note from the hotel that you're booked in there. Just trying to remember if was done by post or electronically?? but it will save you going to London.
In total it was something like £120\£130 but no more than that.

It's a bit of a pain but if you know you're going in advance it's easy to sort really. i wouldnt not go because of it
11:49, Sun 10 Feb
If you go on the ferry to st petersburgh you can stay there for 3 days 2 nights without a visa.
I have a friend who works for a russian travel agent.
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.
Roj
12:00, Sun 10 Feb
I went to St Petersburg about 12 years ago. Lots to see. I got the visa by post at that time, and very expensive it was. I also remember the very long and slow queues at immigration at the airport both to enter and exit Russia. I don't really think either St Petersburg or Moscow are just weekend trips with the visa hassle involved.
12:31, Sun 10 Feb
you do however need to be in the company of a registered guide at all times while off the ship.
|If you want the name of a really good one, PM me.
The ones the cruise ships book are hopeless.
Regards, Mick
12:32, Sun 10 Feb

TIA.
Oh, and don't use your mobile in Russia for any reason, unless you want an enormous bill when you get back home.
Regards, Mick
12:38, Sun 10 Feb
And not forgetting they are a miserable race in a miserable place. Beautiful architecture but the locals grind you down by the end of the week.

Everything is a problem even in a nice hotel.
12:58, Sun 10 Feb
And not forgetting they are a miserable race in a miserable place. Beautiful architecture but the locals grind you down by the end of the week.

Must say I didn't find that at all, only there during the world cup in SPetersburg, but I thought the people I met were sound.
Regards, Mick
13:00, Sun 10 Feb
micktheknife

Must say I didn't find that at all, only there during the world cup in SPetersburg, but I thought the people I met were sound.

I find a city raises its game when there is a tournament on.
No tournament so no need to try was the attitude we received.
In Western hotels they can’t do enough to help you. This was not the case in St Petersburg.