11:02, Tue 12 Feb
A very sad loss. Yet another of our 1966 heroes gone. Gordon was the best in the World in his era, and his Pele save the best save ever, given the stature of the occasion and the player who headed the ball. Yet both Gordon and Pele always came across so modest and humble.
RIP Gordon. You were a superstar, and a gentleman of the highest order.
11:08, Tue 12 Feb
Steady on
DES
Fat Buddha
Gordon Banks. Fred Pickering. Johnny Haynes. Piss poor week this is turning out to be.

Johnny Haynes? think he got killed in car crash in Scotland about 15 yrs back!
Rip to them all though

No wonder it's felt like a long week.
11:18, Tue 12 Feb
Shame. 12 years or so ago I spent a few minutes chatting with him, it was a Sunday morning and my lad was playing his grandsons side, U10's game.
Such a lovely, down to earth bloke, I was totally starstruck chatting to him, kept seeing THAT save in my minds eye and there I was, talking football with him.
Greatest compliment me or mine ever received was him saying to me 'Your lad is a tidy player'.

RIP one of the greats.
Bit better than ‘good’. Sad news.
13:29, Tue 12 Feb
DES
DES
Greatest Keeper of his era, I have a pic of THAT SAVE from Pele in my office.
In Spain they have an annual award for La liga keeper of the year and its named after a former goalkeeping great Zamora.
I'm going to email F.A> asking them to consider similar award in his name!
RIP Gordon.

KRO

I doubt the Premier League will allow that, after all, they seem to make the rules. It'll be the Carling Gordon Banks Award.
13:37, Tue 12 Feb
Remember him single handedly knocking us out of the F A cup at Standrews sometime in the 60s .What a keeper
13:41, Tue 12 Feb
??? Did he score the winner ?
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
DES
13:55, Tue 12 Feb
NotFitTo​LaceDeanPeersBoots
DES
Greatest Keeper of his era, I have a pic of THAT SAVE from Pele in my office.
In Spain they have an annual award for La liga keeper of the year and its named after a former goalkeeping great Zamora.
I'm going to email F.A> asking them to consider similar award in his name!
RIP Gordon.

KRO

I agree of his era one of the best, if not best goalkeepers. I still don't see the save from Pele as the World's greatest save though as so often said. It was good, but I have seen many more better saves in the my nearly 50 years of watching football.
Not fit,
Got to disagree, Ive been watching since 63 and have seen no single save better, I know montys double in fa cup final was special but that wasnt from greatest player in the world, what made THAT SAVE so special; was
1 TWO GREAT TEAMS
2 A MASSIVE CRUNCH GAME
3 THE TWO PLAYERS INVOLVED BOTH GIANTS
4 THE MATCH SITUATION AT THAT TIME 0.0

KRO
14:00, Tue 12 Feb
DES
I remember him making a great save from Alex Jackson a cup tie, at the Tilton end in the sixties.
RIP to a national hero!!
DES
14:00, Tue 12 Feb
Fat Buddha

Brilliant, cheers for that FB, three mins of magic!

KRO
15:25, Tue 12 Feb
Great keeper and nice fella, who I had the pleasure of meeting briefly once.

We probably would have made the 1970 final, had he not had the shits
What did the Knights in White satin?
15:50, Tue 12 Feb
Trying to work it out, how many of the 66 team are still alive?

Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst, the Charlton Brothers....anyone else?
15:52, Tue 12 Feb
Cohen and Roger Hunt are still alive I think.
15:53, Tue 12 Feb
In think Nobby Styles is still alive, just.
What did the Knights in White satin?
16:29, Tue 12 Feb
Trying to work it out, how many of the 66 team are still alive?

Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst, the Charlton Brothers....anyone else?

Jack kicked the bucket a few years ago