09:07, Thu 14 Mar
That's correct, followed shortly by the signing of Mick Harford in a strange Newcastle via Bristol City deal.

Agree with the comments on here - a damn fine manager who was on the verge of building a very good Blues team but was scuppered by the lack of cash available to him.

Damn unlucky as well. The 3-1 FA Cup QF defeat at home to Watford finished us, we suffered several injuries and nose-dived from 10th position downwards. The last game I remember well, we absolutely battered Southampton at Stans but the ball just wouldn't go in. Stoke beat already relegated Wolves 4-0 and Mick Bloody Ferguson (on loan to Coventry) scored their winner which ultimately sent us down. The only time all season we were in the relegation zone was the one that mattered - the final table.

Although we went back-up, we'd lost the core of the team, and after the 2-1 debacle at home to Altrincham in the Cup Saunders finally gave up and quit.
09:55, Thu 14 Mar
Yeah, the Stevenson for Worthington deal horrified me at the time - but then it turned out Stevenson was ace and we signed Harford.

DES mentions Waddle and Mabbutt which was right, but we didn't have the money for Mabbutt and Waddle would have been a swap with Kevin Dillon.

I have said many times, we had a lot of good players brought in by Saunders but never got them at the same time because he was always having to sell one player to fund bringing in another.

If he could have brought in the likes of Harford, Clarke, Hopkins, Gayle, Blake, Stevenson - and potentially Mabbutt and Waddle - without having to sacrifice players to do it, along with players like Kuhl and Dicks who were coming through, we would have had a very, very good side. But it just didn't work like that.